Sign in to follow this  
Ando81

Xf digital dash fault

Hi all, just wondering if someone can explain why my digital dash stays fully illuminated sometimes when I start my ute. Sometimes I have to remove one of the plugs from the bottom of the cluster to fix it and sometimes it goes back to normal in a few seconds. Sometimes if I turn the key off and back on again it resets back to normal too. It seems to be doing it more frequently lately. a9d027fc4967c65a7a680dc37d079e48.jpg

you can have a look in this thread on xfalcon. but its probably cracked solder joints like i fixed .. copied this from my post there. http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24537-arrrggghhh-need-help-with-my-dash/

fixed the flickering cluster brightness too which was what i was expecting.
i pulled the cluster completly to bits, inserted some dust into it Do'h too lol.
but it was a cracked solder joint on the small circuit board where that cluster dimmer button is. resoldered. FIXED.
i also cleaned the old dust off the LED screens too, and they are much nicer now.
heres a pic of the spot of where it was re soldered.

flickeringdashbrighnessfix.jpg

Yeah, I reworked a dash recently also. I'd say 20% of the solder joints needed re working.

Inspect them with a 5x or 10x magnifying glass and a bright light. Before you solder make sure the area ia clean, if not, wipe with a brush or cloth/tissue (like that super cheap toilet paper that kinda halfway between ricepaper and copypaper, or a "kimwipe") and pure ethanol, acetone or for best results use isopropanol.

and add a dab of solder flux/resin to the joint before heating and re flowing it.

That will give you the best reflow possible without having to add and remove the solder.