thorne

thorne's FGX G6E Turbo

144 posts in this topic

Look what I found checking out the American Taurus SHO: it's the seventh-generation, 2017-release Taurus they've released in China. Remind you of anything?

Ford_Taurus_CN_01_China_2016-04-12.jpg
Ford_Taurus_CN_04_China_2016-04-12.jpg

It's available in mainland China with either a 2.0l 4cyl or twin-turbo 2.7l V6 EcoBoost engines. You won't be at all surprised to learn Ford Australia had a helping hand in its redesign.

Valvebouncer, Ants and Outback Jack like this

The Aussie FGX, badly needs a dovetail spoiler on the boot - like the FG had.
(looking at the Taurus, the design is meant to have something like that at the back)

20170311_145600_zpslqmdvwip.jpg

2Q==

Outback Jack likes this

So since Photobucket fucked us, it's taken me a while to migrate all my photos off their site elsewhere, and now the whole sorry process is finally over.

That having been said, looks like it's time for a service!

oWH9Wnu3.jpg

Yours gets a redline on the tacho, must be because of the turbo.

Does it always run at that temp, or was it not warmed up all the way?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Yours gets a redline on the tacho, must be because of the turbo.

Does it always run at that temp, or was it not warmed up all the way?

Oh yeah, just checked against the cluster in your thread, hadn't noticed that before.

Always runs at that temp (just over the 1/4 mark). I know the engine is turbo-charged and that tends to raise the engine temperature a little, but the hottest I've ever seen it is just over the 1/3 mark), and that was after giving it a bit of welly enough for the intercooler to activate.

Service booked in at Ford for next Friday, politely requested a tall-person loaner vehicle. ;)

On 06/07/2017 at 11:54 PM, SPArKy_Dave said:

The Aussie FGX, badly needs a dovetail spoiler on the boot - like the FG had.
(looking at the Taurus, the design is meant to have something like that at the back)

You know @SPArKy_Dave, the more I look at the arse-end of my FGX, the more I agree with you. Possibly a colour-matching lip or bobtail spoiler (not a wing spoiler, it's a G6E, not a XR), something that accentuates the back without looking too gaudy.

Might look further into that....

Oh yeah, just checked against the cluster in your thread, hadn't noticed that before.
Always runs at that temp (just over the 1/4 mark). I know the engine is turbo-charged and that tends to raise the engine temperature a little, but the hottest I've ever seen it is just over the 1/3 mark), and that was after giving it a bit of welly enough for the intercooler to activate.
Service booked in at Ford for next Friday, politely requested a tall-person loaner vehicle. 
Mine runs just under 1/2 all the time... Odd to notice the small differences.

I've got a lip spoiler for my G6E, if I ever put it on, surprised they ditched them on FGX

f1e048781ef0e964c8a65a64bc00316a.jpg

So, car is back from its service. Passenger dip mirror issue has been fixed, which means it now works as it's supposed to and doesn't move around randomly like it used to. Got a chance to use it properly last night reverse parallel-parking and found it very handy! Think I'll keep it on.

Radio drop-out still has an issue though, and it also baffled the technicians at Ford, who confirm the aerial is fine as signal is nice and strong, only it drops out every 10sec at the ICC and takes 5sec to re-stabilise; much worse in storms or wet weather or passing under a bridge or tunnel. Makes listening to radio very irritating. They couldn't puzzle it out, so they've submitted logs to heir Technical Desk, and booked me in again for next Thursday for follow-up diags.

They also renewed free membership with RACV for another year (Roadside Assistance, package comes with the car apparently) and updated my maps (which was way overdue, over two years old already and navigation system had fun tracking my driving on new roads that didn't yet exist in its system). And because it's a "minor service"  - next one at 45,000km is a major service - they capped the price at $385; standard service on the XH would usually be around $600 or so. They also gave me a 2016 dual-cab 3.2lt Ranger pick-up as a loan car for the day, nice!

They fell over themselves with customer service, with follow-up phone-calls, free bottles of cold water in the car when I picked her up and even hand-washed her. Unsure if this is a new push by Ford post-plant closure or simply because I went somewhere else this time (Coffey Ford in Dandenong, as opposed to Jeff Wignall Ford in Frankston for the XH), but it certainly left a good impression. I may take the XH to get serviced locally, but I think I'll keep going to Ford to get the FGX looked after, at least for the next 5 years: warranty runs out after 3 years, but service packages (free RACV coverage, map upgrades, etc) last for 7 years, and I bought the car 20 months after it was made.

One of the other major things I asked for was to get Sync2 updated. It hasn't been too much of a problem, but anyone doing an Internet search on Sync2 will know of the multitude of complains about it, mostly including its speed, with notable delays switching between systems. Mine hasn't been too bad to be honest, but it has crashed a couple of times since I bought the FGX, so I mentioned this to the guys at Ford and also my knowledge a new version (v 3.10) of Sync2 had been released to the dealers, and he amiably agreed to have my Sync2 updated to this version. Here's a shot of my Sync2's system info, before pre- and post-update:

xZm7hVL2.jpgCbiVAUIO.jpg

Judging by the version and the build number (14073) after it, It appears my system hadn't been updated since the car was made, nearly 2 years ago. The Nav app version has jumped two major releases, and it appears there has been two updates to the map database (Australia and New Zealand region use map code K).

Impressions post-update: Sync2 is definitely faster, pausing far less when switching between applications, and there's no major hang especially initiating or finishing a hands-free phone call.. Plus other patches and fixes, such as the media player remembering my random and shuffle settings on tracks played off my USB key. and newer version is also more compatible with latest version of phone hardware and OSes. Impression is definitely a good one, and it seems to run quicker and more stable than the last version I had.

I had the dealership do this for me in this case. The Ford SyncMyRide service was useless, and the Ford Owners online area detected my Sync2 version as 3.7 (which was correct) but said that was the latest version (which wasn't) and wouldn't allow me to download the USB stick loader to allow me to do it myself. Online forums have made the international package available (with the ability to customise start-up and power-down animations and a whole load of language packs) but they've been hacked from a pirated North American release and slowly refined along the way, so I had no idea whether or not it would work for an Australian system or it would end up bricking it. Other Aussies have claimed getting Sync2 updated would incur a service charge of at least $100 unless there was a major reason for the upgrade, so - I'll be honest - I lent heavily on the system crashing aspect I experienced, and as mentioned he readily agreed to update it without charge.

Those with their own FGX or vehicles running Sync2, I'd heavily recommend getting your Sync2 updated to v3.10 (build 16180 is most recent). You'll notice the difference nearly immediately.

Valvebouncer likes this

Nah, most I can do is swap between three different "themes" which just alter the layout very slightly.

The Lady is back after another visit to the garage, this one for follow-up diags hunting down the bug in the radio. Turns out it was the aerial after all (which I suspected, as music played from USB/Bluetooth was perfect, and atmospheric conditions interfer with shitty signal), but they couldn't isolate the issue to either the aerial or its base; so they replaced both. It's nice to actually have a stereo that doesn't constantly drop out now, and it's just as good to get DAB radio back and crisp again! Missed listening to Double J, which you can only do via DAB.

Not long after picking up the car from the last service, the cruise control stopped working. Appears that was due to a spring in the steering wheel paddle, so they replaced that too. Had to wait an extra day for the replacement part, so she was gone for two days instead of the expected one.

As it's all under warranty still, no charge at all! No loan vehicle this time though, but it was nice to get the panelvan on the road again for a couple hundred kilometres city driving.

So that's the end to all the niggling little issues with the FGX. Now that everything's perfect with her, I can focus on some accessories: headlight protectors and weather shields to start with I think, and we'll go on from there. ;)

I think I'll probably not elect for a nose-cone protector, I believe it looks a little bulky and against the sleek look of a G6E, whereas the head-light protectors aren't as immediately noticeable. At least a FG bonnet protector spreads out wider and under the bonnet, while on a FGX - at least to my eyes - it looks short and squat. Maybe if I had a darker colour paint job where it wouldn't stand out so much?