thorne

thorne's FGX G6E Turbo

144 posts in this topic

Right, after the XH's recent electrical issues, I decided I needed a more-modern daily, preferably something from the 21st century for a change. So, after a few weeks' worth of homework and camping on certain model listings on Carsales, I think I might have found something. I've spent the entire long weekend (Labour Day in Victoria meant sleep-in Monday!) visiting sellers and car dealerships for test-drives, and eventually I put a deposit on it just this afternoon.

The photos on Carsales were pretty crap, and - much to my embarrassment - I didn't think to take photos myself, as I wasn't sure I was even going to buy it at the time. So while I start arranging things, here's a teaser shot.  ^_^ 

93nVPlWy.jpg

turbo ?

Hells yeah.  :D

Wasn't actually looking for one, but the price seemed agreeable so I went to inspect one, and then a test-drive later......goddamn. Instantly converted!  :ph34r:

Owner was nice enough to run it one last time through the local dealer for a quick clean/RWC. I've asked him for photos so we all might even have something to look at next update.

Outback Jack likes this

FGX G6E Turbo by the looks! FG didn't get the red 'E'. And wasn't that low on the boot.

Which colour interior?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FGX G6E Turbo by the looks! FG didn't get the red 'E'. And wasn't that low on the boot.

Which colour interior?

10 points! Well spotted.  :)

It looks like the FGX G6Es didn't do a light interior like your FG G6E, but they offered a orange/tan leather interior instead which I found to be rather nauseating, to be perfectly honest. So I went for the only other option: black. I don't mind it, there's less to see behind tinted windows, and I like a little privacy in my cars.

When the XH was in the garage last month, Ford gave me a FGX XR6 as a free loaner, which is what made me pay more attention to the FGX range. The XR6 was niiiiiice, but I'm not one for sporty cars that much (despite its excellent response), and the suspension was too stiff for everyday driving on roads. For a daily driver, I set my eye on a G6E immediately, so you can imagine my surprise when I found a model with the options of the G6E (including softer suspension) with the turbo of an XR6. I was converted instantly after my first test-drive of a G6E Turbo.  :D

Outback Jack, NZXD, MNTL.XD and 1 other like this

I agree, I dislike the red/orange/horribleness. Black is easier to keep clean/less obvious when dirty too!

Not sure on the turbos, but XR6 vs G6E, suspension is different as mentioned, but engine tunes are identical.

G6E come with "sports luxury suspension".

I would've loved a G6E T, but lack of availability and stupid insurance premiums (under 25) prevented it.

Looking forward to more pics.

How many kms?

I agree, I dislike the red/orange/horribleness. Black is easier to keep clean/less obvious when dirty too!

Not sure on the turbos, but XR6 vs G6E, suspension is different as mentioned, but engine tunes are identical.

G6E come with "sports luxury suspension".

I would've loved a G6E T, but lack of availability and stupid insurance premiums (under 25) prevented it.

Looking forward to more pics.

How many kms?

Roughly 22,000kms: owner says he ordered it in May 2015 and had to wait 2 months for Ford to build and then deliver it, so that's not too bad for about 1.5 years. I saw other G6Es/G6ETs on Carsales with more kilometres sell for more.

As the FGX only comes in certain colours, I was looking initially for a black G6E, but after seeing one with tinting, I wasn't too sure it looked right (seemed way too dark), and for some reason, most black G6Es came with that horrible orange/tan interior. What a shame they didn't come with a cream/light interior! So I went to preferring either Lightning Strike (silver) or Winter White: this one is white, also with tinted windows that give it more contrast without it looking too dark. No towbar, but I've got the Hayman Reese with towing brake on the XH for that.

Will post photos soon, hopefully!

bear351c likes this

Sounds sweet!

Yeah agree it's a pity, I think the cashmere is a bit classy too.

If you were really desperate I reckon a FG interior would bolt in.

54ea3366e1ca65121cb701cd018fb7ca.jpg

Gonna put thousands of kms on this one in a year or so?

My G6E had 53,000km when I bought it two years ago, now on 96,000km.

Trouble free so far too - touch wood.

thorne and NZXD like this

Damn that interior looks incredible. *dribble*

I think you're right, the FG interior would probably "bolt-in" if I was desperate enough! Many reviews of the FGX canned the interior for being "dated" and barely changed from the FG, but I'm going from a grandpa-spec XH GLi with furry seat-covers to a leather-bound FGX G6E with electric everything - a 20 year leap - so it either way it's a definite upgrade for me, so I'm not really fussed.

With my wide-ranging driving history, yeah, I suspect there will be an initial jump in kilometres driven. But the idea is to keep this one as a daily driver (and claim its expenses at tax time for work-use, as I'm a roving worker) and use the XH for towing duties and my long-haul trips across Australia (futon, dual-fuel, bull-bar).

What's it like have a vehicle with the ICC? That's what I'm looking forward to most!

Mr Polson likes this

I always laugh when you hear the complaints about the fgx interior being dated, yeah it hasn't changed Bugger all since 2008 but it really didn't need to. It's a nice interior, and the fgx improvements make a subtle but worthwhile difference.

thorne likes this

Kinda goes back to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Plus, I doubt Ford had the spare money for much changes, I think the FGX front was lucky to be so different for a final model.

I went from a 87 Falcon wagon to 2012 G6E, so know what the jump is like.

ICC is great, yours will run the Sync2 touchscreen, meant to be a bit better than my Ford one.

I think the FG ICC layout is one of the best out of all cars. Everything well laid out and easily identifiable.

My biggest gripe, and applies to AU onwards, is the fact the steering wheel buttons (cruise and volume) are illuminated at night.

Does yours have the silver ICC or black?

thorne likes this

Very true, Ford did quite a lot on barely any budget, on a vehicle they can't have expected to make much money on, considering the circumstances.

Yup, FGX comes with Sync2. I had some experience with it when I got a Territory SZII as a loan-car when the XH was in for service last year and was suitably impressed. The G6ET has the full sav-nav package too, something else to get used to (I'm still used to pulling over and flicking through a Melway/touring atlas, but I grew up navigating by paper). I assume the lay-out in the Territory's ICC is similar to the FGX?

Haven't gotten around to driving it at night yet: thankfully the only thing that really lights up at night in the XH is the after-market Pioneer stereo head. Actually, can you turn off the ICC screen at night? Or are you perpetually doomed to at least something glowing in the car, ruining your night-vision?

If I remember correctly, the steering wheel was wrapped with black leather and had silver buttons to contrast, I think the ICC therefore also has silver buttons. Is there a difference between the colours?

Pretty sure it's the same between Territory and Falcon.

The ICC screen dims at night, I don't find it to be too bright. There is an option to have the screen off, but on mine there is no way to set it to turn off only at night.

AFAIK, all steering wheels have the silver buttons, but some cars have silver ICC which have white light at night. Others, I think XR and FPV, are black with a blue lights.

One big hindrance with the inbuilt sat-nav, at least on mine, is lack of regular updates and the cost of them. And it has to be done by Ford. So currently my GPS is 5 years old :/

As long as the ICC itself isn't too distracting at night, it should be fine. I have very good night-sight (side-effects of a career in IT), but that means any bright glaring lights in the driver's cab at night is bloody distracting and hard to ignore. We'll see when it eventually gets into my hands and I go for my first night-cruise. :)

Does yours have headlights that turn on automatically, follow-me-home lighting and puddle lights? Just considering how awash with light my space will be when I pull up home at night.

I thought sat-nav updates were part of regular servicing? :( Here's me considering the possibility of ditching the paper street directory in the car.

I was actually in a Territory today with Sync, and I don't think you'll find it distracting at all.

Mine has auto lights and follow me home, not sure what you mean by puddle lights?

Don't think they are. You may get one or two free ones in the first few services, but not forever. Mine hasn't been into Ford whilst I've had it.

Puddle lights, convenience lighting at the bottom of exterior wing-mirrors (or on the doors' under-edges), that light up the ground just outside the front doors at night (like follow-me-home lights except for the sides of the car). Forgive me, I've been reading the FGX brochure in preparation.  ;) 

I take my car to get serviced regularly, but then again, the advantages of writing off car operation costs as a work expense at tax time means I can better afford to do so. I fully intend to take advantage of this with the FGX, my accountant has already given me some advice regarding this now I have more than one vehicle. First time in my life I've actually owned more than one vehicle at the same time.  :blink:

Nah no puddle lights on mine haha.

I wouldnt mind taking mine in to Ford, but there is only one service place and they're in the middle of the city. Plus my mechanic gives loyal customers accounts, don't think Ford is that generous.

They actually have very reasonable service prices based on what I looked into on their website a while back.

More news! The owner just got back to me saying the RWC has just been completed: apparently it needed 4 new tyres, but that's all. This vehicle has 19" rims on it, something I need to keep in mind before I start using the turbo to tear up asphalt. Official odo count says 22,400kms and change. He's forwarded me more documents I can take to the bank (registration, declaration of sale, RWC, transfer papers), get a bank cheque drawn, and I can arrange to pick it up. Depending if I can get this all done tomorrow, I might even be able to pick it up this Saturday, otherwise it will be next weekend.

Total price: $37,000.

But more importantly, he sent me more photos! Ten cameraphone pics in total, although only 4 are actually usable (badly blurred, owner is in his mid-50s and has already admitted he's not very tech-savvy). So without further ado....

S1LXeUH1.jpgm84mgN6c.jpg

EQ7yGtQX.jpgpAYI7AeJ.jpg

:D 

Outback Jack likes this

Smart lookn unit .

If only they had this design crew in the au days .

Can see the jaguar in the arse end in them .

Nice!

You'll notice when you put it in reverse, the passenger mirror "dips" to help you prevent rashing your rims when parallel parking.

Would've thought the factory tyres would've lasted more than 22,000kms...

thorne likes this

I just saw this on car sales, the rear seat looks like it's never been sat in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger. Mucking around with the bank this afternoon means bank cheque wasn't issued today, so it looks more like a next-weekend pick-up. Bah, impatient having to wait an extra 7 days.

Nice!

You'll notice when you put it in reverse, the passenger mirror "dips" to help you prevent rashing your rims when parallel parking.

Would've thought the factory tyres would've lasted more than 22,000kms...

Seriously? I'll have to look for that the first time I tear my eyes off the rear-view camera when I reverse for the first time. :D

I'd've thought 22,000kms wouldn't have destroyed a set of tyres, then again the RWC guy might have been over-cautious. Also, when I test-drove it with the owner, he loved to put the hammer down and take advantage of that sweet turbocharged burble that came out of the exhaust. Hence that previous mental note to keep an eye on such.

I just saw this on car sales, the rear seat looks like it's never been sat in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, I don't think they have! The FGX was a company car, used by the manager and occasional sales rep: probably the only seat that's seen an arse in it is the driver's.

Yep, dip mirror has been on Ghias and G6E since BA.

I think your camera will be more helpful than mine if it's like a Territory with Sync2, it'll have lines, which move with the steering wheel. You can also turn the beep off, unlike mine.

Pretty sure my rear seat was also unused, my car is ex department of Treasury.