Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

Crossflow do's and dont's.

Then how come they consistently make good horsepower and torque in real world engine. Ones that have actually been put together and run.  If you think I'm biased then have a look at  Jason Murphy's sons car from Toowoomba. Search  Murphys Speed shop. That car runs very fast numbers with little manifold porting, just a tidy up. 

I've used them on my own engines and customer engines and they work.  Pure and simple. Regardless of what keyboard engine building gurus say and their theories. It shits me to tears when people rag on a product that they haven't even tested in the real world.  Yes like they can be improved by those in the know, like any product that it made for the mainstream market, but the reality is when you compare them to what else is out there, they are miles ahead.  Airspeed is king and peak airflow is only one part of the equation  

400+ hp at the crank through an aussiespeed 4 barrel speaks for itself.  Regardless of your or my opinion. It simply says it all. You don't make that power through an inferior product. And that engine was fitted to a corty and ran 11.4 on its first run. Enough said. 

I'm happy to post up dyno graphs of the engines I have built using the Aussiespeed product.  I'm happy to put anyone in touch with my customers who have the Aussiespeed manifolds on their cars. If you want to hear it from them instead of me, I'm happy to facilitate that.  I can back up my claims with solid real world performance and real people. That's why I will continue to use and support this great, wholly Australian Made product and why I will always bite when some has something bad to say about them. 

You have no idea of the research and development that has gone into that manifold originally and the continuing r&d.  Yes I'm a part of that r&d. I make no bones about that. Look at the current generation manifold, drilled for east west from the factory is the obvious change but there are several other changes within that manifold that you won't notice. How did they come about. From R&D and the manufacturer listening to people who use his product. 

Try and get that from a CAIN or redline!  Their still making the same manifold they were when these engines were new.  Rant over. 

The latest manifold i bought has a very small plenum pig cast into it,i also bought a 6mm heat spacer for the manifold,i spoke to aussie speed thismorning and the guy is so helpful,already picked up a few things he told me ,im going the big bore extrctors,and buying his tall black rocker cover.

1 hour ago, ando76 said:

Then how come they consistently make good horsepower and torque in real world engine. Ones that have actually been put together and run.  If you think I'm biased then have a look at  Jason Murphy's sons car from Toowoomba. Search  Murphys Speed shop. That car runs very fast numbers with little manifold porting, just a tidy up. 

I've used them on my own engines and customer engines and they work.  Pure and simple. Regardless of what keyboard engine building gurus say and their theories. It shits me to tears when people rag on a product that they haven't even tested in the real world.  Yes like they can be improved by those in the know, like any product that it made for the mainstream market, but the reality is when you compare them to what else is out there, they are miles ahead.  Airspeed is king and peak airflow is only one part of the equation  

400+ hp at the crank through an aussiespeed 4 barrel speaks for itself.  Regardless of your or my opinion. It simply says it all. You don't make that power through an inferior product. And that engine was fitted to a corty and ran 11.4 on its first run. Enough said. 

I'm happy to post up dyno graphs of the engines I have built using the Aussiespeed product.  I'm happy to put anyone in touch with my customers who have the Aussiespeed manifolds on their cars. If you want to hear it from them instead of me, I'm happy to facilitate that.  I can back up my claims with solid real world performance and real people. That's why I will continue to use and support this great, wholly Australian Made product and why I will always bite when some has something bad to say about them. 

You have no idea of the research and development that has gone into that manifold originally and the continuing r&d.  Yes I'm a part of that r&d. I make no bones about that. Look at the current generation manifold, drilled for east west from the factory is the obvious change but there are several other changes within that manifold that you won't notice. How did they come about. From R&D and the manufacturer listening to people who use his product. 

Try and get that from a CAIN or redline!  Their still making the same manifold they were when these engines were new.  Rant over. 

400 HP though an unported aussiespeed 4bbl? that I do want to see. If you don't open up the manifold by about 2mm you will have to ring the living daylight out of the engine to overcome the flow restriction. I have build a few engines with the manifold and for a 350hp motor it will be ok, it will pull vacuum at 7.2k with a 750 carb, open it up and it will make more power and no more vacuum but do show us he 400HP engine with unported aussie speed dyno, you can keep the rest of the combo secret, all i want to see is the numbers and MAP readings at over 7k :)

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

The latest manifold i bought has a very small plenum pig cast into it,i also bought a 6mm heat spacer for the manifold,i spoke to aussie speed thismorning and the guy is so helpful,already picked up a few things he told me ,im going the big bore extrctors,and buying his tall black rocker cover.

you realise the big bore extractors are useless unless you feed it some No2 right? and i believe they don't come with the final collector

before you spend a lot of money on useless big bore extractors watch this:

i doubt i will be reving this thing over 6000,its gunna be a drag/fun car ,im gunna gut the next xe to take as much weight out of it as possible,while on the subject can i delete the front sway bar as it wont be cornering ? might save a few kg

Then why do the fastest and most powerful crossy's run the big bore exhaust,the main reason is they can be taken into 2 pieces so you dont have to take the whole thing off ,eg,sprint cars ect? i was gunna get the pacemaker or the big bore .

Big H race engines - check them out. The dyno sheet is on there.  It was more than likely touched in the runners, those dudes know their stuff, but the basic architecture of the manifold, plenum etc is still the same. And it made peak power way earlier than 7000.  Efficient little fecker  

Thats my point. Unless you know what your doing and have access to a flow bench your better off not touching them anymore than the guide on the website. 

i run the 6>2>3>1

as long as the exhaust is free flowing and it's not much smaller than the port then you're all good, as soon as the exhaust goes past the valve it starts to cool and reduce in volume so yeah, if the face of the head where the exhaust manifold bolts is say 1.8" then making the headers bigger will not net you more power pending there is no other restrictions. If you run NOS then yeah you need big exhaust

I got my XE down to 1210kg with me in it. If it's purely a drag car and 2 seater you can get it down to 1150kg. You don't need a lot of shit for a drag car like sway bars, wind up mechanisms, heater cores, air con, power steering, fuel tank, alternator, 

then replace battery with LiIon and bring a charger with you, no alternator too, alloy tail shaft, take about 1.5kg out of the diff, replace seats with light buckets (i use pro2000's seats and they are 16kg for the pair), remove and throw away battery tray and replace horn with cheap light one, replace steering column with aftermarket alloy one, replace lower and upper trailing arms with make your self rose jointed ones, they are adjustable so you can preload from the trailing arms (as you should) not from the sway bar (as most think they have to do), replace heavy steering wheel too, 1kg here, remove centre console and gut the rear doors and all sound deadening and front reo bar. Go and axe off the tow hooks etc.

it's really easy to pull over 100kg out of an XE

I got my old XF with me in it down to 1280kg and it had a 6 point roll cage and that was a circuit car, imagine the freedom you have with drag racing!

If your really keen to pull front weight, check out Alfa Motorsport fibreglass.  Enzy xd works there. Their panels are ace and good value, especially as most xe panels are rust and bog ridden messes. 

ute's are heavier so would not use one of those

even non rusted buckets XE's are over 5k now, how many of them have you seen on carsales? the price of XE's are rocketing up this year, i have 2 and feel bad gutting one of them, the other I'm keeping stock, should of kept stock the beige one as it only had 140k

3 minutes ago, ando76 said:

If your really keen to pull front weight, check out Alfa Motorsport fibreglass.  Enzy xd works there. Their panels are ace and good value, especially as most xe panels are rust and bog ridden messes. 

yeah I run their bonnet, the quality is good, quite light as well I might add and nobody can tell the difference unless they touch it, was going to get the boot lid but the lid is light anyway, so are the guards so no point getting them but the bonnet ...I was dealing with Michelle there and had no problems, would highly recommend them, that's like a secret weapon on weight saving (glass bonnet), i bet it's .15 of a sec over the quarter mile

im having trouble finding a performance flywheel for a 84da ,i suppose it still uses the older crossflow bolts and not the 86da metric set up ? seems there is plenty of selection for later models but will they fit my engine ?

im not in brisbane,ol,m8 who is doin the machine work has over 40 years under his belt and has built many crossys for speedway,he owns and runs some type of speedway car,and in his younger days was the doin the heads for the fury nissan race team at bathurst,bluebirds i think,when i brought in the crossy his eyes lit up,i can guess he is sick of doin v8's,when i went there today he was doing some chamber work on my unmarked head,thats his game headwork,old school fashion,hey i need to ask what you guys are running for guide plates as i havent found any listing for crossflow,like do clevo or windsor or sbc fit with some mod's,thanks.

so you're going screw in studs? good man!

I use the Clevo ones, i just cut them in half and they don't move, never looked further but I seen some use some laser/water jet cut ones around here

yeah i have some 7/16 roller rockers ,i asked him to order some arp studs today as well,we are going the 2v clevo intake and he is gunna grind em down,same with the exhaust but not as much i think he said,assembled height is very important he was going on about,after he does the head then we will order some pistons and do milling to get around mid 10 .5.1,as i dont intend on breaking any records,with the compression calcuator i have come up with 5.7cc dish piston,55 odd cc chamber for around 10.3.1 ,or use the flat tops and 060 mls gasket but there is many combo's.