CHESTNUTXE

Crossflow do's and dont's.

nah no one has nuthin in crossflow size I was gunna ask you about it,pw said use a 2v clevo valve but olm8 said hours of work trying to turn them down to fit so I might have to just go with new stainless efi valves ?

Yes. You won't find anything of good quality that is direct fit into a crossflow. Well the chev exhaust valves will go in but on the intake, yes you have to turn them down. 

Welcome to the world of modifying a xflow.   Nothing is a simple, bolt on like clevo or chev.  You have to use your brain and skills and machine stuff to suit. That's why they are expensive to do.  But when they are done right they are a ship load of fun and very rewarding. 

ok i will check them out today but late yesterday afo we looked at a windsor valve and the assembled height was to short,the head diameter of intake im looking for is about 1.800,the leghnth of the valve is 5.293 you must have done some serious work to make those 2.125's fit

Valves out of a C1A head

In 1.798in head diameter, 5.288in total length from valve face to tip, 0.340in stem diameter

Ex 1.505in head diameter, 4.950in total length from valve face to tip, 0.340in stem diameter

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tfs-51400215/overview/

Brand:Trick Flow Specialties

Manufacturer's Part Number:TFS-51400215

Part Type:Valves

Product Line:Trick Flow® Replacement Valves

Summit Racing Part Number:TFS-51400215

UPC:842645109812

Valve Head Diameter (in):1.600 in.

Valve Head Diameter (mm):40.640mm

Undercut Stem:Yes

Swirl-Polished:Yes

Overall Valve Length (in):4.960 in.

Overall Valve Length (mm):126.492mm

Valve Stem Diameter (in):0.341 in.

Valve Stem Diameter (mm):8.66mm

Valve Tip Length (in):0.250 in.

Valve Tip Length (mm):6.350mm

Valve Material:EV8-Z18 stainless steel

Lock Groove Quantity:1-groove

Lock Groove Style:Conventional

Valve Head Style:14 degree dish

Quantity:Sold individually.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

what about the 3 and 4 bolt balancers ,i have my eye on buying a romac steel unit for my build but it says 3 bolt,the crank olm8 is doing had a 4 bolter  on the 84da block,powerbond do single pulley as well,will the 3 bolt go on my 84da crank ? or must i use the 4 bolt,i thought i read somewhere once that either can be used ?

From what I know they have the same snout size.

PB1007ST is 3 bolt  PB1021ST is 4 bolt Powerbond Street balancer

Part number   Crank bore  Nose diameter  Outside diameter

PB1007ST 31.74mm 44.45mm 174.5mm
PB1021ST 31.71mm 44.45mm 174.5mm

Romac 0222 is the part number for 4 bolt http://www.romac.com.au/pdf/Balancer List Pictures 2005.pdf

OPPPS yep your right i should have looked first ,both are there,just the xf one has 2 pulleys the powerbond has a few different ones as well as im not running air or steer i was just gunna get a single but ?

On 25/03/2017 at 2:12 AM, SPArKy_Dave said:

My advice, would be to keep that engine complete, for the new owner of the car.

Especially if it's all matching numbers - block/head/bolt-on's.

Getting an EFI head, would be much better and more efficient, IMO.

(use a very late casting if possible, or even a very late Carby head casting)

Then send the head to Sean Burns in SA, to be ported/flowed, etc.

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/1868-crossflow-porting-results/

For every day driveability, I'd recommend a turbo personally.

Hot NA, means a big cam, which lowers the around-town and in-traffic driveability.

A supercharger sucks a fair lot of power, just to turn itself IMO.

I'd run thermo's maybe, rather than a mechanical fan, and yeah that pump is the factory fitted one, or at least an OEM Aussie made one. (cast impeller)

I'll jump in here and say this, don't bother with EFI heads, the chambers are too small. If you want to make a snappy and very drivable xflow you need to start with a set of pistons with the smallest dish possible and use the unmarked head as it has the biggest chamber and still have some squish for good recovery. This will net quite a bit more torque than the same compression ratio with those big dish pistons and EFI heads. It will also require less timing and make a way more efficient engine.

I quite like the unmarked heads and the E2 heads. I would use the unmarked heads for Premium Unleaded and the E2 head for E85 with flat tops. 

Don't waste money on rods or anything else if you don't spin it astroturfing 6k. Good luck with the build!

On 24/05/2017 at 4:22 PM, ando76 said:

Perhaps you should have a read of the Aussiespeed website before old mate 'port matches' the intake manifold. My skin crawls when I hear this on an i6 engine. Good way to f..k a great manifold. 

Nothing wrong with opening up the ports on the 4bbl manifold if the engine needs it. The 4bbl manifold was probably made for a small 4bbl to keep the airflow high but with a 1.8" valve the curtain outflows the aussie speed 4bbl port by a long shot, enough to choke a 350HP motor, 1mm of porting is enough to liberate quite a bit of flow. Port matching on an flow is stupid, the ports from the face of the head to the vale are so bloody long that even 2-3mm makes fuck all difference.

The aussie speed 4bbl manifolds are not as great as one might think. They are essentially a 2bbl manifold with a flange and a bit of sculpting of the flange to the manifold to make it fit. It's way small for a the requirement of a 4bbl carb, say 650 or 700 but if you're planning to keep it under 5.5k then don't touch the manifold and don't go 4bbl, keep it 2bbl and save money