CHESTNUTXE

Crossflow do's and dont's.

here is the correct tool.. you can buy them somewhere..
you can also do the chisel method, which is basically just hit one of the flat sides of the big nut with a sharp blow on the undo side(its reverse thread) and it usually comes undone. tightening by the same method suffices also..(i have done this about 5 times when My brother or Dad had the tool in the past)

aqIGRVGe.jpg

one thing that bugs me is why does a xe with no air-con or power steer have a fan this big ? anyway ol'm8 got the bolt out charged me accoringly,quite dished pistons in this engine.WP_20170321_13_38_59_Pro_zpsvdjc6xao.jpg

block looks ok condition,is std bore but will need a rebore if the new owner everdoes anything with it,ando is dropping off a crossy block tomorrow for me to start with.WP_20170321_15_44_04_Pro_zpsvdntbicr.jpg

84DA block should have a 92mm single piece rear main seal, 83 2piece rear main, rest should be same.

3 or 4 bolt balancer is for P/S pulley (xc-xe 3 xf4)

Looks to be factory water pump after market would be GMB with pressed plate impalar rather then cast impalar.

Timing chains stretch is common,

If using a melling oil pump use base plate from stock pump.

What's the plans for the build

well unsure about turbo or the small weiand supercharger kit from aussiespeed or just a beefy n/a or efi i picked up a efi intake during the week didnt pay much for it so maybe that too ,if lowering the comp i think i have read somewhere that instead of using a de-comp plate you can use the unleaded xf dish piston with the xe head which i am about to look at the compression calcuator,factory booklet  says xe 8.81 factory comp,will check with 26cc piston should maybe get around 8 to 1 ?

My advice, would be to keep that engine complete, for the new owner of the car.

Especially if it's all matching numbers - block/head/bolt-on's.

Getting an EFI head, would be much better and more efficient, IMO.

(use a very late casting if possible, or even a very late Carby head casting)

Then send the head to Sean Burns in SA, to be ported/flowed, etc.

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/1868-crossflow-porting-results/

For every day driveability, I'd recommend a turbo personally.

Hot NA, means a big cam, which lowers the around-town and in-traffic driveability.

A supercharger sucks a fair lot of power, just to turn itself IMO.

I'd run thermo's maybe, rather than a mechanical fan, and yeah that pump is the factory fitted one, or at least an OEM Aussie made one. (cast impeller)

aparently ando said this 84 da has a 1 piece rear seal,so the crank i took out of the 83 aint gunna fit,so i will pull this fella down and take the block to the machine shop and see what ol'm8 says about it,the bores look std and good with hardly any lip or ware.

ok i have stripped the block down and found the rod bearings were 010 so i guess its had a reco b4,all good i will send it down tomorrow to the machine shop to get ol'm8 to tank it up and we will go from thereWP_20170521_13_02_15_Pro_zpsojdg30en.jpg

piston choice is only the real thing bugging me,using the 83 head with roughly 57cc odd chamber there is the 20.5cc  dishy at std compression height ,with near zero deck you are gunna get around just over 9.1 comp,but if i use the 5.7 cc dish it will get 10.5 comp which is what i want,but that piston has a lower compression height so i will ask ol.m8 if we can take even more off the block,there is the std compression height flat top but its gunna get 11.1 or more and i think thats getting a bit high,many questions to ask tomorrow,also balancers the powerbond or romac ? 4 bolt one to suit 84 onwards.

ol'm8 says first we are doing the head to see where we are at with cc and the rest follows,i also orderd a aussie speed big 4 barrel manifold he needs it to match port the head.WP_20170522_12_13_09_Pro_zpszmgecwuo.jpg