Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

Crossflow do's and dont's.

After building quite a few cleveland's im gunna have a go at a crossy,i have a xe carby motor here that came with my xe i recently bought,im going to keep the matching numbers block with the car and use another crossy block and transfer some parts over eg head ,pulleys ect,do the same basic rules apply to overboring a crossy like is there a limit on things like that,i have a set of 7/16 roller rockers here too i could use as i think the crossy uses the same clevo rockers,is there any other mods to look out for ?

Do a search, I've plagiarised sly dogs usual post below. I'm probably going to go down this route will be plenty quick to make me shit myself.

And then want more power... slippery slope this

Plagiarism below

From Jase Stoodley...

One of the combos I ran through the years was very healthy and only mild and was fun on the street i thought i would put it up here.

Block: 80da bored & honed .030

Crank: 250 ground & balanced

Rods: 250 machined balanced and 302w ARP bolts fitted

Pistons: ACL 21cc dish - combined with a 50 odd cc head was about 9.5:1 comp.

Cam: 230@50 530lift hydro - great cam for these motors!

Head: open chamber carby unmarked ported, 1.85" in, 1.55" exh valves, turned out it flowed 320hp

Springs: crow 7333 doubles - head needs machining for these.

Other parts included rollmaster chain, yella terra street terra bolt ons, crow pushrods, romac balancer.

Used to run a ultraflow manifold with a 500 holley went well but changed over to a cain and 600 vacuum secondaries and what a difference.

Was running a Hall dizzy with a MSD 6AL and MSD digital timing computer- the equivalent now would be a 6AL-2 programmable running 36deg total timing.

Used a 2200stall in a c4 with 3.7 rear gears.

the car was a full street car cortina ran 13.6 @ 100mph then 13.3@103 when i changed to the 600vac and made 200rwhp

The thing is every thing below the head is still the same motor in the car now.

i can use a few bolt on from this engine for the new crossy,but 1 problem i cant get the head off 1 bolt is on so tight it wont budge,any idea's because its nearly stripped the head,maybe weld the socket to it ?

i ended up dropping it off at the machine shop ,i couldnt budge it,ol'm8 will try some tricks on it,i only want the head and bolt ons for the next engine as the block is going  with the car,is there any differance between 83da and 84 ?

i have never seen a chain with that much play,you could almost just unhook it,waterpump bolt just snapped off,can someone tell me do the fan bolts on the pulley are they a reverse thread or normal ? they dont want to budge either.

Normal thread mate, if your using 12 point sockets your gonna have a bad time trying to get any nuts or bolts off of these old things. Get yourself an impact socket set if you haven't already got one(even a cheap one will work), they just seem to grip like a vice, I haven't had one break or round anything off but have snapped one or two bolts

The one i used was a kingcrome 9/16 which has done many clevelands,but it wasnt a hex,i will buy one i got a price $14.

i thought the 14mm fitted better in single hex

maybe ? 

i have one single hex 14mm socket in my set(mostly imperial other than the 13, 17 and the 14 single hex and maybe one other) i haven't touched a crossflow for 5years at a guess but pretty sure thats the best fitting socket for those head bolts

i actualy bought that one cause the 14 chinese one snapped when i tried my first clevo head years ago so i got the 9/16th but i will get the 14 today,also how the fuk does the fan come off from the water pump,i got the bolts off now like is it pressed on ? i cant belive this.WP_20170321_11_15_51_Pro_zpsycb6ouns.jpg

i'll try find my fan tools again.. there is a drawing in the gregorys manual of how to make it(My Dad made mine 20yrs ago)

basically, pic below is how you remove fan with hub.

can replace special tool with belts on engine/ pry bar, bolt a plate of steel using one of the pully bolts.. etc.. just need to stop the water pump turning

74HgtDm1.jpg