blackxt

Here we go again .

227 posts in this topic

Looks great! If I were you I’d be sneaking a drive around the block

Yeah it will happen .. im waiting on my idler pulley to turn up so I can put the drive belt on .. I'm that keen I've just been running it for a short time and driving it out the shed .. if only I had of ran it on methonol this would not be a issue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to take it for a test drive .. it's fairly laggy ATM , and only running a 7psi spring . But seems to work very well if you stall it up a bit ..

Still lots todo over the next few months .. but now it runs and drive I'll probably recoupe some cash and start on the good motor for it ..

41cabe45e1711b2780ad7b1902f9aee5.jpg

Outback Jack, Thom, deankdx and 3 others like this

Nice ride mate.
Just outta interest. .. whats all the damage to the drivers side strut tower? Looks a bit buckled.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Nice ride mate.
Just outta interest. .. whats all the damage to the drivers side strut tower? Looks a bit buckled.

It’s flexing its muscles, got big guns!
Outback Jack and blackxt like this

Nice ride mate.Just outta interest. .. whats all the damage to the drivers side strut tower? Looks a bit buckled.

It might have had something todo with the chopped springs that were in the front .. most of them seem to buckle the shock towers a little .. this ones pretty bad that's for sure . I'll probably cut it out one day and weld some better plate into it ..

Outback Jack likes this

Nice ride mate.

It might have had something todo with the chopped springs that were in the front .. most of them seem to buckle the shock towers a little .. this ones pretty bad that's for sure . I'll probably cut it out one day and weld some better plate into it .. 

I've seen other box Falcons with those wrinkles there as well as firewall and plenum. They may well have been there from factory as the type of steel they used throughout the whole car changed from XC to XD to a thinner high-tensile one that is harder to fold or stamp neatly. Basically the steel is less stretchy. That area has some pretty complex folds that might result in the tower wrinkling and the factory workers not giving a crap because it's not visible from outside the car.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

Nice ride mate.

pretty much every XD to probably XG has those wrinkles, these look slightly more than i remember smoothing out in the past but there's usually a battery in the way and on XFs a cold air duct that covered it. 

Outback Jack likes this

These tyres will probably be to big , I will go back to a 255 tyres I think , this is with 275/60/15 ..

Eventually these will be my main wheels , once I get two rims for the front to paint.

Cars going pretty well , has a slight miss in cylinder 3 , but the more I drive it the better it gets , might be a stuck ring or leaky valve .. not bad for a $80 engine that's in it ATM ...

4685a36fd233f211ef5454aa001437f5.jpg

7df1621e375df09fac5f1b83b5354537.jpg

bear351c, Thom, deankdx and 6 others like this

More wiring .. it's pretty hard to get a picture of this , it's my 5" microtech prodash .. I hated all the autometer gauges , I've consolidated them into one now , the dash also has gps speedo and can measure 1/4 mile times and is also a logger .. 81ff492d7f68a7e1d72788ed21ff9fc7.jpg5fed3434a16a91e1c6556f77aefa66f4.jpg

Thom, deankdx, Valvebouncer and 5 others like this

Busy weekend , the car is nicely tuned now .. I had to make a few custom jets to get it right .

Took it on a cruise Sunday with a local car club , racked up a few ks , sat on the hwy with 3.7 diff gears and the three speed pretty well , it goes well for a simple setup I'm also pretty impressed with my $80 motor .

Motivation is low to work on it , so I'll start building my good motor now .. edging closer to the drag challenge goal . 7880a4bf1a651f67f869a2e9175f1555.jpg

winning! 
yeah i also know the motivation level of working on a "finished" car..

when is drag challenge, and what's needed to get into that(300 car limit ?)

winning! 
yeah i also know the motivation level of working on a "finished" car..
when is drag challenge, and what's needed to get into that(300 car limit ?)

I've been pretty flat out putting the motor in and what not , and it's been a mad rush so I could drive it yesterday sorting and calibrating my microtech dash ..

Not sure about drag challange , I'm on the mailing list .. guess I just need to make it fast now and hope for the best .

Outback Jack and deankdx like this

Now to change that RPM sweep, to KM/H, then it'll be just like the stock gauges!

Perhaps put it to microtech to make a replacement for the failing ghia dashes ..

Not to say my hei dizzy isn't working , but I no at the boost I plan to run the coil won't keep up . So I'm upgrading to a 6al-2 programable and stock el dizzy .. at least then I can plot out some curve and put some more early on timing in . If I wanted to stay around the ten psi mark I would just leave the hei dizzy in .

This is something I had allways planned todo .. I like the simplicity of the hei job just to get it running .. but at 20-25 psi it will just blow the spark out on stock coil .. and I'll have to run timing to low and it will lag like hell ..

3f52856eb0aedd9b4749797c583e1a55.jpg
682bc3b9079d61f0ee49de40ac206c9b.jpg

Bit going on still ....

New engine coming soon .. cars not going ATM as I had a drama with a rod that decided to bend and eject its self out the sump .. after searching for a decent replacement decided stuff it and just get the good engine done ..

Not sure why the other engine let go .. but after pulling the head off and seing how far the valves were pulled into the head it was a surprise it ran at all ..

dc2245b92d2f83cb3c9a868872b6e086.jpg

Cylinder head aluminum gone soft, or just valve springs which are too strong?

My guess my first engine was from a lpg running car , with a lot of k's on it ..