Craig

Fuel Tank Caps

Not sure if this is be right forum, but I'm having some trouble getting a fuel cap for the XE.

c990538d6563c903ac6cdacbda4d1fe6.jpg

ec5df199bf147b3524a308e19325ab98.jpg

It's got one of those fuel spill thingy's on it, and the models recommended by repco et.al don't fit. Anybody else been here before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is the neck mangled from someone digging a cap off? even the sedan one fits(ugly though)
i ended up swapping mine on a ute because the area the cap fitted to was all mangled from someone digging the cap off with a claw hammer or similar

I've had two trident locking ones(different style to the one linked), they sell them at supercheap, the locating tabs on the sides of the body are too long which causes them to bottom out before the locking tabs can fold out and therefore need to be cut/filed down, that's what I did to both of mine and fitment is now perfect

I've had two trident locking ones(different style to the one linked), they sell them at supercheap, the locating tabs on the sides of the body are too long which causes them to bottom out before the locking tabs can fold out and therefore need to be cut/filed down, that's what I did to both of mine and fitment is now perfect

Closer inspection on the new one I bought for mine it is the same issue. Will get the file out and see how it goes.

I want one of those fuel drip tray thingy whatsits

reckon i got one somewhere, yours if I can find it.......

I saw one advertised on eBay for about $30.

Closer inspection on the new one I bought for mine it is the same issue. Will get the file out and see how it goes.

One question - did you file the lock tabs down or the locating pins (sorry having a dense day).

Didn't touch the locking tabs just cut/filed down the locating tabs that slot in the two holes so the cap can't be spun around, just took enough off so the cap would insert far enough for the locking tabs to flick out inside the housing to lock the cap down but not too much that it would be loose and able to spin

The problem is, the Tridon ones are cheap aftermarket chinese crap.

The rubber seal is way too big, among other problems.

You need the OEM ones, which were made by CPC.

CPC caps are still available, but usually order in only, unless you find old stock from an old school independent auto parts outlet.

Also be aware, that current stock CPC caps may have the stupid oversized rubber seal on them.

I may be wrong, but it's just a hunch.

I've always gone out of my way, to locate old stock CPC caps for my wagons.

Locking ones seem to be easier to find, than the non-locking.

I believe Ford still have XH locking caps available, which will fit XE.

The main differences, across the XD-XH wagon and commercial caps, are to do with the fuel tank/ emissions vent system.

Incorrect caps, can cause the tank to pressurise into a negative atmosphere (ie, a vacuum) - causing fuel delivery issues, especially in hot weather.

And can damage in-tank electric pumps too, for EFI.

CPC caps are still available, but usually order in only, unless you find old stock from an old school independent auto parts outlet.

Repco carries CPC caps in stock, for fuel, oil and rad. Rad caps in a Repco packet are CPC too.

Not sure if this is be right forum, but I'm having some trouble getting a fuel cap for the XE.

It's got one of those fuel spill thingy's on it, and the models recommended by repco et.al don't fit. Anybody else been here before?

Strange. My wagon has a CPC cap I got from work (Repco), and it fits fine. Definitely specifying wagon when asking for one?

Mine is locking though.

4e143dc651cc022bfbe103f67e050240.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Repco carries CPC caps in stock, for fuel, oil and rad. Rad caps in a Repco packet are CPC too.

Strange. My wagon has a CPC cap I got from work (Repco), and it fits fine. Definitely specifying wagon when asking for one?

Mine is locking though.

Will take a closer look and see what my local repco store has.

I do know the XD and XE caps are different and the Tridon XD cap fits perfectly on the XD.

The fuel spill thingy is pretty cool and looks the goods with the chrome cap in the centre of it.

Will take a closer look and see what my local repco store has.

I do know the XD and XE caps are different and the Tridon XD cap fits perfectly on the XD.

The fuel spill thingy is pretty cool and looks the goods with the chrome cap in the centre of it.

Always thought XA to XF (or XH) had the same fuel caps for wagons utes and vans, you'll find the fuel spill tray likely says XA Falcon on it (all mine have)

Always thought XA to XF (or XH) had the same fuel caps for wagons utes and vans, you'll find the fuel spill tray likely says XA Falcon on it (all mine have)

Mine as XA Falcon stamped on it as well.

Local repco has two models available - part numbers SL43EC and SL49EC, Mr Polson any chance you recall the model number of your purchase?

Mine as XA Falcon stamped on it as well.

Local repco has two models available - part numbers SL43EC and SL49EC, Mr Polson any chance you recall the model number of your purchase?

I would say SL49EC, buggered if I can even tell the difference

I would say SL49EC, buggered if I can even tell the difference

I have both 49EC AND 43EC non locking caps here, new and in the packet.

Took me ages to find them, when I originally bought them.

The 49EC, has a larger emissions vent on the back of it - for XE/XF EFI wagons, and later Unleaded XF wagons.

The 43EC has a smaller vent, and is earmarked for XE wagons.

I have CPC catalogues, but the packets also have application guides printed on the back.