Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

SUPER CHARGER VS TURBO

Aussie speed does these nice weiand kits for the crossy and 4.OL engines for about 6 grand ,but seriously for the same amount of money would a turbo kit be just as easy to fit and or more power/economy for your dollar,i always dream about putting one of these on an engine being a v8 or 6 ,from what i have read and seen around 6psi is the norm for the little blower but can be wound up with a pulley change,and with a turbo seems sky is the limit with 30 psi or more with hi po set up's,i have also seen a 4/71 on a crossy with some sort of custom manifold,manly on hot rods as there is plenty of engine bay room,seems its quite a popular conversion on the holden 202 but what about the 4.0L seems the turbo is so common on these engines.

just trying to size up a combo for the next project,i have seen a few turbo packages for around $3500-4500 for the sohc and barra,are you saying buy a late model barra turbo engine ,the whole thing ?

If you want a blower because you think they're cool then nothing anyone suggests is of any value, just save up and buy the kit. If you want to make power with drivability and economy, then go the turbo route. The price of going turbo all depends on the turbo you choose, how much fab work you can do yourself and how much research you're willing to do to save yourself some money.

and what sought of turbo ? the 35/40 garrett ?

That would be perfect with the 1.06 A/R turbine housing. There's cheaper options which are decent quality, you won't go wrong with a Garrett though.

Edit: 6boost manifolds are great if you're going for no expense spared, 9's on the quarter setup. Otherwise a well designed/manufactured log manifold will be fine.

cheers i dont realy no a lot about turbo's but they seem all the rage these days,the next xe i buy will more than likley have a crossy in it,so all mounts and brackets are there already,to lower the comp of a normal 4.1 carby xe engine i have read on a thread that by using the later xf unleaded bowl piston would work good,instead of the decomp gasket.

Saw those Aussie Speed crossy blower setups at the Ballarat swap meet yesterday, look cool, but also don't look very efficient.

I'd go turbo, because I wouldn't want a offset blower hanging out the bonnet, and, I'm bias. ;)

f40fa6ba55bfd061de0c58311a6c9bcc_zpsnrgy

vark is that your ride espsix that is exactly what i want a charcoal esp mmmmmmmmmmmmm,yeah sound and looks of a little weiand i like but compact and stealth the turbo is.

any guys out there with a supercharged 6

I can't speak for everyone on here, but I don't think there's anyone on here with a roots blown 6. Turbos are far more popular for the Ford 6, it probably has a lot to do with packaging on an inline motor. Also the way that turbos (correctly sized of course)make boost suits the Ford 6 perfectly. They already produce good lowdown torque with their long stroke, where they fall away is up top in NA form. The turbo takes over where the engine would otherwise run out of puff. The way I see it the roots blower makes boost from idle and the 4L and 250 already make good lowdown torque without boost. Sure you would have a mountain of low to midrange torque, great for smoking tyres and not much else. It's far more challenging to run an intercooler on a positive displacement blower also as it requires you to either run a water to air heat exchanger sandwiched between the blower and manifold or an in/out diverter to divert the charge air to an air to air intercooler. That would only be relevant if running efi

Like I said before if you just want one for the cool factor, no amount of reasoning will change that despite any drawbacks. Will a blown setup be fun to drive? Of course. Is it the best option for cost, power, overall drivability and packaging? No

good info,i suppose most of you have seen on u tube that citric acid ba -bf doing that massive burnout ,it has the number plate toxic,at first you think its a blower because of the noise but later he explains one of the turbo fins is bent and it makes a hell of a sound like a full on blown monster.