76gxl

Fitech (or equivalent) injection

Howdy,

Seriously looking at putting a 600hp fitech on my 351 Cleveland. Is anyone using one or a equivalent one. What are the pros and cons.

The way I am looking at it is it won't cost me much more than a good carb and dyno.

A con for me is I live in the country and the car is only a weekend cruiser but every time I drive the car I do around 200km going to cruises etc. The last thing I want to do is spend good coin on something that will leave me stranded on the side of the road and have no clue of how to fix the bastard.!!

Cheers.

I have a Cleveland with a 393 stroker kit, 292h cam, stock cleaned up heads, 6AL and the Power Adder Fitech on Top. 

Engine dyno'd (on an engine dyno somewhere in Parra) at 440HP, He dyno'd it prior to the Fitech, using his own carb he got it to about 400hp. 

All he did for the Fitech was hook it up, enter a few parameters and run it up and down.

I was told that that 450hp was best case scenario for my combo, so the Fitech at 440hp considering the predicted optimal number and his achieved carb number, i'm really happy with the results. 

It's going in to my XE Ghia with a T56 and a 9 Inch, but it's still a fair way off from being together, should be fun!

The other big cost consideration I failed to think about at the start was an appropriate fuel system to suit.

For cost and easy home installation reasons, we (my father and I) installed an Aeromotive Phantom 340 EFI fuel system to the stock extended range ghia plastic fuel tank, in the stock location and moved the stock fuel sender over a little.

It would have been easier to simply mount the EFI pump somewhere next to the stock fuel sender location, but I wanted the pump in the lowest part of the tank and I assume Ford knew what they were doing when they put the stock fuel sender in it's location.

The maximum size of the aeromotive cut out is about the same as the original fuel sender neck on the tank. This means we had to cut extremely close to the sender neck for the aeromotive to fit. Without any flat area around the original fuel sender screw top, it can't be used to easily 'plastic weld' it to another position. So we sourced a second tank and used that fuel sender neck to retrofit on to my tank. All of this just so we could continue to use the original fuel sender for the fuel gauge.

The next issue we found is that the fuel sender stock location is recessed down 10-20mm, this caused clearance issues when trying to attach AN lines to the fuel pump. We took care of this with a hammer, heat gun and a few hours trying to reshape the plastic tank a bit and some angled AN fittings.

If i was to do it again, i might go for the Holley in-tank retrofit fuel module, which is very similar to the aeromotive but uses their hydramat instead of a foam bucket and is slightly easier to install.

I considered other similar systems; but the Holley, MSD and FAST systems at the time were out of my budget. The Edelbrock and QFI did not look up to snuff. Holley system has a bunch of LCD screens and gauges etc that you can add to their system, if that's your thing. The Edelbrock comes with an android tablet and all have slightly different feature sets to include things like support for e85, nitrous, meth, timing control, turbo/superchargers

Fitech is great bang for buck if the feature set matches what you are looking for.

Can't comment on reliability at the moment, how wild is your cleveland?

Thanks Ivan, great and informative reply.

I was keen to use the fitech fcc although some problems with them has me waiting for the fitech g surge to be available, hope fully being second generation some of the bugs have been ironed out. !!

I really want to stay away from in tank or external fuel pumps if I can.

My motor should be up to 400hp but has never been dynoed.

The fitech g surge looks like a slick piece. Super compact and appears to be built tough. Should be easy enough to tuck in to the engine bay somewhere.

Edelbrock have a similar system to fitech, that has been updated since I last looked at it, maybe an alternative if the fitech stuff can't be had in time. What's your timeline on the whole project ?

When I was shopping, most of this stuff had to be imported, but I think pretty much all the big parts guys are stocking this sort of gear now. (I know rocket industries up in Sydney has it)

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk