CHESTNUTXE

XG 4.0L SUMP GASKET

Hey can the 4.0 litre sump be taken out to put a new gasket on without lifting the motor up,it looks like it can,there is more oil coming out of the engine than the exxon valdez ,first the radiator now the engine ? wtf.

Not many things can be added to this age old question but the easiest and simplest answer is pull the engine. All honesty you can do better sealing job with it out, fix other problems such as welch plugs(which I am sure are original) or rear seal while its out with easy access.

From what I see from your posts you have the equipment and know how. Better than crawling around under a car with fuck all room and still have to lift engine high enough to clear pan out from oil pump.

I did a sump gasket in one of my cars awhile back in and out in a day and was glad to do it that way. Nice and dry with out a hint of oil.

Its one of them cbf jobs but I just bit the bullet.

Should have done this myself but while your at it put up thread of you doing to help others would be good cause its been good reading your XE build. But thats up to you

mine i just re tightened the bolts and its stopped leaking(from there.) its a ford, so leaks from lots of places

if you do pull the engine..change all the welsh plugs, front and rear seals also..probably do the head gasket..
if you read that how i would.. it would mean TIGHTEN THE BOLTS

yeah the last 2 days trying to at least slow it down has not worked with red silicon,someone b4 me has done the same thing to it so i'd say its an old wound that has been bandaided.

has it got and oil pressure switch or full instrument guage? the switch when it fails can leak heaps of oil..

sure its not coming from the rocker cover, those gaskets are the shittest things ever to sit in place(i super glued mine in places to get it to stay in position to install)

Could be dean I will check later I put a s pack cluster in it but never put the correct sender might look into dat one when I get home

my money is on the switch if its pissing out.. my XF lost 2litres of oil going 30km after i noticed it

fark your spot on dean i started it up and shon v torch on it and its pissing down the engine,nowonder the silicon on v sump didnt do anyfin,thankyou ,

how do you no all the answers ?

I've been driving shitbox fords for 25 years.. had pretty much every problem anyone is going to come across..

ME TOO but must have had good luck with my 30 odd fords ive owned,never blown a engine gearbox or diff b4.

i haven't blown an engine, but killed a few gearboxes and one diff.. and broke some cheap tie rod while driving normally >> http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/2603-warning-please-read-cheap-parts-danger/

new correct sender is orderd,should turn up tomorrow,suits the taco s pack dsah,so i will fit it as soon as it comes then hopefully all oil problems will be fixed,then on saturday fit the new radiator.