Craig

XD Wagon Rear End Upgrade

The XD is coming  this week and i need to be finishing off the 6 to 8 conversion. The previous owner put the 302C in, bolted to the transmission and it runs. Now I'm looking to upgrade the rear end to a much better option than the 6 diff and drum brakes. For the interim the motor and tranny will be left alone but at some point in the future will upgrade the transmission (when it dies) and may fit a stroker kit when the motor's due.

The XD's role is a bit of daily/rat rod/cruiser and tow car for the other vehicular toys.

I see heaps of E series 6 Cyl conversions being recommended, any advice for the 8 to strengthen the rear end and improve stopping power without going too ridiculous?

Awesome thanks! The main reason for the upgrade is better braking with the car trailer on. I'm looking at going 15's anyway as the steelies are easier to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did exactly this on my XE wags, 6 to 8 conversion and everything. What you're doing is right also from a legal point of view. Reason is that disc brake & LSD was mandatory with any V8 option.

No real dramas on fitting except for hand brake cable. My diff came out of an XG ute so had the correct length one.

Later E-series had metric fittings on the brake lines so you'll have to run an adaptor. Not sure about cables on them either. Up to and including ED had the umbrella type hand brake handle so the cable could well be the same.

The upshot of using later E-series diffs is that they're 4-pin 28-spline. EB II onwards from memory. If you can find a Fairmont or XR6 wagon, they're likely to have LSD. If you go down that road, get a tailshaft while you're at it. They have the flat-flange uni joint as opposed to the older yoke/saddle type.

Master cyl is the same drum or disc (no valve in the port).

Thanks gerg. This wagon is supposed to be my entry into the spanner turning hobby (always wanted to do it, never got to it), so wanting to do it properly and safely without going overboard.

I'm having trouble sourcing anything before an EF (plenty of EL options too). I'll have a look for the XG option. I'm keen to keep the 14" wheel options open (I think i really want either a set of snowflakes or xd ghia rims on it - or maybe both to give me options, like the mrs with shoes and handbags...). What size rims did you put on the XG rear end?

I'm having trouble sourcing anything before an EF (plenty of EL options too). I'll have a look for the XG option. I'm keen to keep the 14" wheel options open (I think i really want either a set of snowflakes or xd ghia rims on it - or maybe both to give me options,

Snowflakes are 15" and will clear EF/L/XH brakes.

Not sure on XD Ghia rim size.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm having trouble sourcing anything before an EF (plenty of EL options too). I'll have a look for the XG option. I'm keen to keep the 14" wheel options open (I think i really want either a set of snowflakes or xd ghia rims on it - or maybe both to give me options,

Snowflakes are 15" and will clear EF/L/XH brakes.

Not sure on XD Ghia rim size.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

14's clear the rear disc's easily.

Ea/b/d xg and xh s1 all had 14's on them from factory and ran rear disc's.

My wagon runs an eseries diff and i ran 14s on the back briefly.

4368f789905adb30d566f55217d8159f.jpg

The 4 pinion eseries diffs will take a hiding too, mines now done passes into the 100s and is yet to give trouble, all stock internals too.