BGDAV

1976 F100 tow pig aka MATER

339 posts in this topic

well i got the carby back and had a play around before i broke it again but it did move under its own power! 

then i tried to get more adjustment out of the dizzy and fucked it up blah - mates coming to help - things i learned, cars dont crank without ignition and power to the coil, fun .. vac leaks on carby = not fun, how to set the float levels on the car without a site glass (fancy way) - but it moved back and forward under its own power, just need to get it running right then sort out the gas, fix the interior, get a roady (Y) 

pgbtcA4.jpg

well this car has turned into a red car project ... anyone who has had a red car will know they bite you ever chance they get 

so i had a few people come over and help me figure it out do appreciate it - after 4 months of trying to figure it out my self and with others help the end result was - DONT USE SHIT SPARK PLUGS, NGK are the go , not the cheaper option .. then swapped the coil to power direct of the battery for now - before i rewire the engine bay

THE POS FKN STUPID POS F100 RUNS! i hate it. but i love it - you know confliction?

now its full steam ahead f100 fix mode -

Mount seat

Rewire engine bay

get rad fixed (has a leak you know typical)

rewire rear lights 

finish off little bits 

transmission is still leaking out of the selector shaft .. need to pull it apart and add another o ring - 

fit up the gas system

finally run the thing on the road! 

deankdx likes this

when all else fails, fit 408 and 6 speed .. 

definitely an issue that had many people stumped.. stupid car with 5yr old storage parts, unknown used parts, dirty fuel lines? rat nest style wiring also been in the rain worked initially etc.. 

what a headfuck! 

BGDAV likes this

5 hours ago, BGDAV said:

- DONT USE SHIT SPARK PLUGS, NGK are the go ,

Yep.  100% Agree. BP5FS for me every time.  Tried Bosch, Autolite, Motorcraft,  Meh..........

Good to hear she's mobile again. 

it was def a pain this stupid car - cant wait to have it on the road - used some shitty denso spark plugs def not the go - dont be a tight ass dave .. is what i have to tell my self 

Is this beast running a front sway bar?
If yes, I have some NOS Genuine Ford swaybar links you might like for it... :)

ummm dont think they use a front swaybar? its only 2wd ? not sure on the old effys they are a fancy piece of machinery i dont quite understand with this I beams and king pins 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:26 AM, BGDAV said:

well this car has turned into a red car project ... anyone who has had a red car will know they bite you ever chance they get 

so i had a few people come over and help me figure it out do appreciate it - after 4 months of trying to figure it out my self and with others help the end result was - DONT USE SHIT SPARK PLUGS, NGK are the go , not the cheaper option .. then swapped the coil to power direct of the battery for now - before i rewire the engine bay

THE POS FKN STUPID POS F100 RUNS! i hate it. but i love it - you know confliction?

now its full steam ahead f100 fix mode -

Mount seat

Rewire engine bay

get rad fixed (has a leak you know typical)

rewire rear lights 

finish off little bits 

transmission is still leaking out of the selector shaft .. need to pull it apart and add another o ring - 

fit up the gas system

finally run the thing on the road! 

On 5/1/2018 at 4:00 PM, bear351c said:

Yep.  100% Agree. BP5FS for me every time.  Tried Bosch, Autolite, Motorcraft,  Meh..........

Good to hear she's mobile again. 

YEP

NGK is the WAY TO GO. dad and i used them in go karts for YEARS with no issues what so ever. fouled them on start up? Clean em up and they work again without any issues. Even when the engine is singing at 20,000 RPM up top, mid range or down low at 10 or 12,000 RPM.

Dad used motorcraft AG403s once and had they never worked properly after cleaning them up when the fouled.

I used Nippon Denso iridium once and never noticed performance gain but it seemed to have a better and cleaner burn?

Just about every 2 stroke kart engine used an NGK plug except Rotax 125s.

started to play around with some wiring- was gonna do full hidden wiring - but i dont think i can b fked - gonna make a fancy relay mount hidden next to battery i think - its not a show truck - will get some pics this weekend 

gerg, Outback Jack and deankdx like this

red car had hidden wiring .. did it 6 years before and tried to remember where everything went .. def do not want to do that again 

gerg likes this

well slight update - i decided i couldn't be fked rewiring the whole engine bay from scratch - cause that would take just to much stupid time 

pulled off all the tape and deleted a few things, dodgy relays, voltage regulator (no longer needed running VS alt) resistance wire removed 

cleaned it all up - moved the relays to amount i made with a fuse block for the battery stuff - 

next job to rewire the relights in - then figure out the reverse lights (shouldn't be that hard) then sort out the interior - go for reg and have a spare car (Y) only 6 months past my previous road worthy date - but work in progress 

stage1:

lfR6cOg.jpg

stage2:

oX9M8SD.jpg

stage3:

Hn0kCNM.jpg

17 minutes ago, 2redrovers said:

And 1.59 /L won't help that situation (or higher if it takes premium ......premium dude!! )

needs premium.. has 302 heads on the 351(relieved a bit, bit no rubbish fuel allowed)

2redrovers and bear351c like this