BGDAV

1976 F100 tow pig aka MATER

339 posts in this topic

looking for a tow pig for awhile and this one popped up - this build will be slightly cheaper then my previous XE - my little nephew loves the movie cars - my red car is "steve mcqueen" and this is going to be Matar 

(theme is rat road tow pig)

purchase price 1500 

on the road for 3500 is the goal on club reg

what we know

F100 - 1976

302 (apprentally) (have the 351 from my old red car - hauled ass - going to make a hi comp 351 if this one is fked)

FMX

very little rust (almost nothing compared to most of these)

what it needs that we know

Windscreen

Windscreen rubber

Rear window (should have sourced)

Rear window rubber

dash fascia

Dash cluster

body rubber mounts to chassis 

more then likely all bushes through the car 

tow bar (should have sourced)

tailgate hinges 

In typical fashion - my trailer is to small to technically fit the f100 -this will be fixed in next few weeks with grinder and welder - ALSO the WINCH DOES NOT FKN WORK - so how do we get it up ? 2 fkn ratchet straps for an hour - im to stubborn to rent a trailer .. but can buy a new winch with the money i saved using ratchet straps is my justification 

5rbtc0c.jpg

4XqvLDy.jpg

GkYDBdr.jpg

awNuvoF.jpg

pijOut0.jpg

omDyCfX.jpg

HQPmdLy.jpg

SLO247 and FOMOCOHO like this

deankdx

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-291.jpg?_r=1367545711
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2952 posts
  • Location(no where particular yet)

Posted Today, 12:50 AM

SPArKy_Dave, on 27 Jan 2017 - 01:01 AM, said:snapback.png

We're gonna need pics....  :P

phone went flat so might get time to get some in the morning if i wake up. i took this one..

EVER HAD TO RATCHET STRAP A CAR UP A TRAILER THAT DIDN'T FIT BETWEEN THE RAILS? Dave has.. what a machine, best part of an hour spent.. needless to stay no gym needed today.. cross fit? think that explains a feeling when the winch is broken and the trailer doesn't fit a F100 on..

uQx2MqCH.jpg

dex likes this

I'd be wanting to know where the dash cluster and all the other interior stuff went.

Maybe ask the seller if he has anything else?

It'd probably be a heck of a lot easier than trying to source it.

Or maybe build a custom dash cluster with Autometer gauges..... :P

I'd be wanting to know where the dash cluster and all the other interior stuff went.

Maybe ask the seller if he has anything else?

It'd probably be a heck of a lot easier than trying to source it.

Or maybe build a custom dash cluster with Autometer gauges..... :P

seller said he bought "the unfinished project"  5yrs ago in same condition.. original stuff is long gone naturally..

naturally we asked if he had anything for it, nope.. he ended up buying a complete better one from Tassie, just sold that also.. needed funds for business..

so thats where its at..

need parts.. considered buying a rusty donor, but figure most bits will be fucked anyway.. might be able to buy new stuff from the good ol USA cheaper even? Trump might even donate some parts and be impressed by helping the US economy...

about to sus out what it does with a battery .. so there might be an update later tonight if all goes well

someone needs to edit the title to 1976..

heres the first start(second actually.. fired up instantly with primer bottle)

had to put on our best bogan voices to match the car

Done

deankdx likes this

That the choke " rattling " ,?

it was the adjustable jet thing(bar with 2 pins) rattling.. i just watched Peter Andersons(youtube guy from ffau) clip on rebuilding a thermoquad.. easiest solution is to fit Daves 650 holley..

it drove back and forward 5 meters also later tonight after adding about 1.5 litres of trans fluid

i have more pics, but won't get time to upload them till later Sunday night probably.

already fixed the rust in the roof corner.

That bar controls the metering rods

It will be causing the carb to keep swapping between rich and lean, could be caused by a vacuum leak or shit in the carb

MNTL.XD likes this

That bar controls the metering rods

It will be causing the carb to keep swapping between rich and lean, could be caused by a vacuum leak or shit in the carb

metering rods, thats the word i was looking for.

i'd say the carb is dirty. it idled mint for about 20seconds when i filled the carb via the vent tube on the actual first start(pretty sure Dave took a vid of that also)

What's the engine out of?

or is it still matching numbers?

when i used the code break the engine, it cam back as a 1972 fairlane 500? someone has stuck in a black motor dissy if so..

it measures as a 302, so will come out soon enough for Daves 351.

the chassis number when i looked on usa site said 460 engine, will have to look a the compliance tags to even see.. maybe 13 ford might even be able to find something?

engine number JG37MK92809k

chassis AL1SL etc

bit of a back date video, the very first fireup..just primed the carby with a bit of fuel in the vent tubes, little down the butterflies and .. fired up and idled straight off. stalled due to fuel pump hose sucking air..

first move under its own power.
its a bit hard to figure out what gear its in on the selector, this will be explained better a bit later.. but suffice to say we'll be fixing someone elses rough repairs as usual.

the gear shift was stuck solid, at first i though it was due to being rusted up, but some bright spark made the bush out of coke can.. once removed and separated with some CRC and heat, a new plastic bush(Same as the pedal assy uses) and its good as new. this was one reason we didnt try get it onto the trailer under its own power(brakes were another..not confidence inspiring at the moment) turned out we didnt bring the required wire to bypass the ign switch(have to check all the wiring out soon) or trans fluid to top it up also, so it wouldnt have moved anyway..

next update may contain some rust repairs

so as the goal with this beast is CHEAP - only parts i have to buy now will be considered adding to the tally - parts already bought wont be considered adding 

Purchase: 

150 - FMX for correct shifting rods etc - gamble on weather itll be good

already have:

650 holley

full gasket set 

Dash cluster is the same as a te tf cortina in them

do you know if they plug in and work straight up? or is the wiring pinouts different(i know the transit van wiring is different, even though the cluster fits)

do you know if they plug in and work straight up? or is the wiring pinouts different(i know the transit van wiring is different, even though the cluster fits)

I think they plug straight in. Here is a picture of the loom plug on a te so you can compare

IMG_20170130_074525.jpg

deankdx likes this

disclaimer .. this is my first go at rust repair .. and welding steel this thin .. so no haters

worst part of rust on the truck

7RTpgRB.jpg

grindy grindy

tjvTtvs.jpg

HYaUhma.jpg

welds look shit but really thin steel

3wlw4RR.jpg

final result

2XDQyRk.jpg

found another small section on the tailgate i wasnt happy with

qLKcymI.jpg

made and patched