Sign in to follow this  
XFChris

Dedicated LPG car, not running.

My XF with a straight lpg 250 decided it didn't want to start one morning. It will crank fine, and kicked over and ran for a second when i sprayed starter fluid into the intake.

So far, with the help of Panko, we've estabished that the car has spark, both the solenoids at the tank, plus the lockoff right next to the converter are getting power and clicking. The safety switch also seems to be working fine.

I've disconnected the mixer from the throttlebody, smelt no gas coming out of there.

Also took the soft large line from the convertor to the mixer off, only smelt a faint smell of gas.

The mixer is a Impco 200, and convertor: a LG B2. I am suspecting that one of them has failed.

Does anyone have other ideas of what has stopped my car from running?

If you can't smell gas from the large hose to the mixer, then the converter might be faulty. They often fill up with gunk from impurities in the gas. You'll have to cycle the key to get gas to flow out. They can be overhauled but a new one would be around the same price as getting yours fixed.

If you're that keen, crack the fitting on the high pressure side going into the converter to see if you have liquid. You'll have to cycle the key on and off to get the solenoid a to open for a second.

Keep in mind that it's illegal to work on the high pressure side if you don't have a gas ticket.

Afterwards, check every joint that you've opened with soapy water from a spray bottle and look for bubbles.

If you can't smell gas from the large hose to the mixer, then the converter might be faulty. They often fill up with gunk from impurities in the gas. You'll have to cycle the key to get gas to flow out. They can be overhauled but a new one would be around the same price as getting yours fixed.

If you're that keen, crack the fitting on the high pressure side going into the converter to see if you have liquid. You'll have to cycle the key on and off to get the solenoid a to open for a second.

Keep in mind that it's illegal to work on the high pressure side if you don't have a gas ticket.

Afterwards, check every joint that you've opened with soapy water from a spray bottle and look for bubbles.

+1 what gerg said.

Have you tried starting it with full throttle? I know i used to start my clevo when it was on straight gas with full throttle and it fired up every time.

If your looking at replacing the converter i have the B2 converter from my XH that i'll be will to part with.

i would say its possibly the safety lock off switch, supplys gas for a few seconds, cuts if ignition pulse isnt detected(could be a wire of, or the units die from time to time.)

B2 and Impco 200 wont push gas when disconnected in My experience, if you press the button in the center of the B2 cap and gas comes out when ign is first switched on, you have gas... don't undo gas lines.

if you run a wire from + on the battery and to the gas lock off + and it runs, it will be the safety switch or gas guage switch if its all in one unit.

impco 200 and B2 rarely die, i'm surprised it didn't fire with starter fluid.. could be flooded, if so try again later(if its flooded, will need the converter cleaned more than likely)

hit the report button..

wonder if this car is going again?

Wow  I must have missed something.

Car is going again, I threw in the towel and had it sent to a mechanics and minus quite a few $$$