broken-wheel

no spark when hot

you have 2 options

1. it has 3 wires  for gears 1-3 as you add 12V o them it increases gear count, then from 4 and 5 via RPM drop (programable)

2. RPM drop, when gearbox shifts it will indicate next curve (bad for peddling)

it's very drag racing orientated you also have retard based on timing, let off the transpbrake and it starts retarding based on time (programable), you can also use slew where it would not let RPM accelerate more than X per min where X is your variable, has MAP timing curve as well if you want it, awesome for pops and bangs 

So in the end we can tell every who uses an MSD to set base time retarded to 35* and let the unit adjust forward as required.
Is this correct?
Then the unit will adjust forward as required, but if the base is negative it will ignore the base time and then assume -35* .

If this is correct then let the users know so that they have a solution.

you have 2 options

1. it has 3 wires  for gears 1-3 as you add 12V o them it increases gear count, then from 4 and 5 via RPM drop (programable)

2. RPM drop, when gearbox shifts it will indicate next curve (bad for peddling)

it's very drag racing orientated you also have retard based on timing, let off the transpbrake and it starts retarding based on time (programable), you can also use slew where it would not let RPM accelerate more than X per min where X is your variable, has MAP timing curve as well if you want it, awesome for pops and bangs 

So it changes advance against load not revs? To a degree it does this presumptuously.

and then effectively works as a load/rev balance. Clever but complicated.

I suppose it's worth a few tenths in quarter squirt.

Assuming Launch, run, final. and all at close to full tilt boogie, then wouldn't the mappings be close?

Apart from launch I mean?

I'd think injection timing was more important.

no, what i found out was that previous engine was still making power at 7200RPM at 7300RPM we pulled 2 degrees and made extra 5HP so locked timing is not that good, cheap but not that good

you also have the ability to pull say 2degrees per gear or if you say want to save the gearbox you can cut timing on gear change 

yes the MAP sensor senses load and you can interpolate the map sensor with the timing curve of the gear you're in

the MSD does not advance the timing at all it can only retard hence you have to advance your dizzy to your maximum timing +2 so if your max timing is 30 degrees you advance your dizzy to 32 degrees (locked dizzy) now you start your curve by pulling 22 degrees at 900RPM (your idle speed), when you put the timing light on it it will show 10 degrees advanced at 1000 RPM, at 1500 RPM you pull 20 degrees and your timing light will show 12 degrees advanced and so on

simple when you wrap your head around it 

Base time is +32 and it will reference back from there?

Sorry about my blunt responses early but I've seen so many "Why wont my car start" threads to be a bit cynical.

I'll still stand by my earlier advice but, in your case..
I'd go with a CDI or surf the MSD but as I said I've had nothing but issues with them.

Crank triggered, HiPo coils (preferably coil per) and a good programmable.
Whatever brand, is the go.

Hope you get your head around the MSD, I go for stuff that's more open source.

Even running a 10sec car, spark is not your problem and I'll run 13's with a standard coil and dist and don't think that that's where I my issue is, More air and a better driver seem to be my issues.

They rape you for the MSD extras that can be farmed from production cars at 1/10th the price and a soldering iron.

There's shit I can do with a megaJolt via USB that confuses me and I'm considered a smart arse with this stuff.
Just running the parallel curves are there, trigger #1, trigger#2, trigger#3 etc so if you get a Hi/Lo from the box then it will shift the curves.

Their real beauty is clean laptop interface, LINUX for the win. Without the brand name overhead.

yes they do, they don't paint the 7 and 8 series gold for no reason but  if you're going to keep the car then it's ok, next engine will spin to 9k (not a crossflow but still a ford) so i see it at an investment, I'll always stick to a carb for these old box cars so there is not much else out there unless as you said, get the soldering iron out

there is a special thrill when an engine hits 10k isn't there?

All the bits just sing to you.
I've played with the odd 'Busa and they're a unique thrill.

A 'busa with 38mm DeLorrto bodies, 270hp from 1.3 litres.

yes they do, they don't paint the 7 and 8 series gold for no reason but  if you're going to keep the car then it's ok, next engine will spin to 9k (not a crossflow but still a ford) so i see it at an investment, I'll always stick to a carb for these old box cars so there is not much else out there unless as you said, get the soldering iron out

I reckon a Barra with locked cam gear and enough cam will spin to 9k but if I was spending that dough, I'd by a coyote 5L crate motor and work with that.

i've taken honda's to 9k and don't care what anyone says but those things are amazing at 9k, vibrations, induction noise is awesome but my next project will be a 9k ford with carb induction

there is not enough cam for a barra to spin to 9k, you either get different ratio rockers, different cam base circle or shorten the crank throw if you want to spin it to 9k, very good engines thou just not my cup of tea

If I was going for a top end motor for my use (track and hillclimb). I'd be finding a an LS400 lexus V8 engine.
I've seen the comp ski boat guys running them and they're just incredible.

I'm trying to keep in class, so, no injection, original options, period upgrades etc, etc, etc...

i've taken honda's to 9k and don't care what anyone says but those things are amazing at 9k, vibrations, induction noise is awesome but my next project will be a 9k ford with carb induction

Yep, there's a song that plays at about 10k that's like a Mozart chorus...

An Ode to Joy almost..

If I was going for a top end motor for my use (track and hillclimb). I'd be finding a an LS400 lexus V8 engine.

I've seen the comp ski boat guys running them and they're just incredible.

I'm trying to keep in class, so, no injection, original options, period upgrades etc, etc, etc...

i wish i never sold Mine..just needed more time and money to finish properly

I've seen that 4L motor in a LJ with dual carbs and some cams, it was insane, revved to 9k with exhaust crackle on overrun 

car's been running great with the msd now, building a C4 for it, waiting for a new Belleville spring

I've seen that 4L motor in a LJ with dual carbs and some cams, it was insane, revved to 9k with exhaust crackle on overrun 

car's been running great with the msd now, building a C4 for it, waiting for a new Belleville spring

Yeah I reckon it's the best engine of the last 30 years, though I'd love to get my paws on a "coyote" crate motor and see what I could do.

SO, you finally got it sorted. Good value. Lots of luck on the 11's, tough nut to crack, that elusive sub 12.

I still lean toward a MegaJolt and coil packs of coil on plug.