Server maintenance Read more... ×
hendrixhc

Give me a shopping list - XG turbo ute

I have a full list of every part that went on my turbo crossflow on the build so I can post the invoice photos if that may help (fully installed a professional (not me)

Very comprehensive list

Let me know, about 10 pages

Just found this on another forum

Just done the same, Pretty easy but took me most of the week to get it done around work.

My sway bar spacers are made out of 1" RHS 2.5mm wall and I just cut the notches with the angle grinder and cleaned up the edges with a file then drilled the hole through them and got some longer bolts, dead easy and easily just as strong as original and shouldn't change how the sway bar works at all, still sits reasonably close to the sump, hits when I jack it up from the cross member but I doubt I will be able to make it hit while on the road unless I get it airborne and then that will be the last thing I will be worried about.

I used the XG engine mounts, XG timing cover (2 sump bolts at the bottom left out and just mastik'd up), XG Oxy sensor, XG power steering pump, XG harmonic balancer and XG alternator then cut some notches in the webbing on the bolck, tapped out one of the holes on the block to 7/16 UNF which was not drilled and tapped and fitted a HT 7/16 bolt with loctite to mount the XG alternator mounting bracket along with the standard long 6mm bolt rather than using an AU unit.

Means that when the XG alternator dies I can use either XG or AU with minor wiring alterations.

Had to cut about 10mm off the aircon mounts on the block, and I made up a mounting plate for the coil to bolt on where the knock sensor was for the AU.

All up, the conversion has cost me about $300 for a 180k engine and reco trans which replaces my 480k engine and second hand trans which I have no idea what K's it's done.

I got my Engine and trans off Ebay for $179, trans is reco, came with startermotor but no alternator or power steering pump thus why I used all the XG stuff.

As par the course and seems I had the front off the engine I fit a new timing chain and tensioner kit, seal etc

Loving it, next to fix some minor rust, and exhaust, get the low beams working and fit new lights all round and some new spring saddles for the front and it should be done and can go back to work.

Cheers Damo

Internal or external wastegate?

It depends on which turbo you end up using. The ba-bf xr6t gt3582r and fg xr6t gt3576r are both internally gated so if you get either of those that makes the choice for you, for an internal gate they are quite good.

If you end up going for another turbo, most of your aftermarket choices with a turbo that is well matched to

a 4L would be externally wastegated turbos. Silly question, you did intend on retrofitting a dizzy to your AU donk to run with your EL ecu right?

Silly question, you did intend on retrofitting a dizzy to your AU donk to run with your EL ecu right?

Not a silly question at all.

Unfortunatley i dont have an answer to it.

Im only learning all about these filthy little six bangers. 

Is this something i need to do?

Am i right in assuming the AU runs coil packs?

Yep as the other guys have said AUs run coil packs. Come to think of it, why don't you just run the original dizzy, ecu and wiring loom just fit it all to the AU engine? You can still run a J3 chip on those earlier ecus

Yep as the other guys have said AUs run coil packs. Come to think of it, why don't you just run the original dizzy, ecu and wiring loom just fit it all to the AU engine? You can still run a J3 chip on those earlier ecus

This is how it's going to be.