Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Heater Box Repair

Anyone got suggestions about fixing this so the recirc flap works?

Tried two part epoxy and the metal putty stuff you can buy, both with no luck.

db427f0d9e9f83cbe67b6145ffc2081f.jpg

FYI, if you have only cold air on your passengers feet, it's likely because the above tab is broken, leaving this flap (which controls fresh/recirc air) in the fresh position for the passenger.

Also noticed with past experience A/C boxes have the rod from the vaccum diaphragm made of metal (like on this one), non A/C boxes they are normally plastic and can break along the rod instead of just at the connection.

f62a4f9f60501e91cb27c78b555dd12b.jpg

i'd screw a splint to it with aluminium or something if i had to

..(always just gone to the wreckers and got another, feel if the flap is flappy without getting bitten by a redback.)

can get them out without fully removing the dash or unplugging the wires everywhere

i figure if they survived 20yrs they are good for another 20? never had one break after replacing them surprisingly.. almost makes me wonder if someone broke them somehow

Any suggestions on best way to try and make a splint or joiner?

Don't rate my chances of finding another heater box easily down here

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

piece of transmission dipstick tube size plate, 4 self tapper screws.. some of that Kneed it or JB weld or simlar goop over the top even..

or screw it shut.. want fresh air, wind the window down..

or take Hanna on some wrecker runs in Melbourne.. 2 pick a parts, 2 Jollys u Pullit, Harvey Wreckers and Imlachs in Springvale.. Imlachs in springvale had several XG XHs last i went, i would assume they'd use the same setup on them..

i've asked someone who might have one, betting it got thrown out by not removing the heater box(from a wrecked XH)

Plenty of good bits on that XF still.

Pedal box " manual"

P/s

Tacho dash

Lsd disc rear

Tail gate , ,,,, tonne of bits ,,

Have another 3 arriving aparently ,, including a ute .

Could just screw it shut like I have, Dean suggested it years ago.

Better than freezing to death if you drive on a cold night.

Rather have it working, call that a last resort.

Might be able to snavvel one from here

After one with A/C, that wagon is missing it.

piece of transmission dipstick tube size plate, 4 self tapper screws.. some of that Kneed it or JB weld or simlar goop over the top even..

or screw it shut.. want fresh air, wind the window down..

or take Hanna on some wrecker runs in Melbourne.. 2 pick a parts, 2 Jollys u Pullit, Harvey Wreckers and Imlachs in Springvale.. Imlachs in springvale had several XG XHs last i went, i would assume they'd use the same setup on them..

i've asked someone who might have one, betting it got thrown out by not removing the heater box(from a wrecked XH)

Dipstick sounds like a good possibility, tried DynaGrip Steel Putty with no success so doubt Knead It would work.

Also tried a 2 piece epoxy with no luck.

Rather have it working, call that a last resort.

After one with A/C, that wagon is missing it.

i would have thought even a non air con model would still have it.. recirc warm air with heater sounds like it would be useful (other than heating minus 3 air from outside

i would have thought even a non air con model would still have it.. recirc warm air with heater sounds like it would be useful (other than heating minus 3 air from outside

It's not the rod that I need though, it's the short connector between the rod and the flap, doesn't look changeable?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's not the rod that I need though, it's the short connector between the rod and the flap, doesn't look changeable?Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I change the whole recirc assy. 3 x 10mm (might be 11mm) nuts hold it to the heater box..can see one of the nuts in your first pic next to the rod

Is about the size of a cornflakes box

I change the whole recirc assy. 3 x 10mm (might be 11mm) nuts hold it to the heater box..can see one of the nuts in your first pic next to the rod

Is about the size of a cornflakes box

Ah okay. Didn't know that was removable seperately. And can be done with dash in car you say?

Ah okay. Didn't know that was removable seperately. And can be done with dash in car you say?

you only need to lift the passenger side out about 15cm from memory, i removed one at the wreckers with the owner watching Me(said it couldn't be done) and nothing broke(undid every dash mounting bolt/screw etc  heater box cable behind glove box) left all wires plugged in on drivers side.

i have had the dashs out more than 10times, so it kind of was simple..

if i was to do it again,

i'd undo the hand brake cable mounts(2 nuts on firewall and the hanger under the dash) and pull it back(has two locating pins into the dash ) and rest it on the floor.

undo the steering column mounting nuts under the dash and rest the steering wheel on the seat.

remove the bolts in both kick panels holding the dash to body., feed out the left door switch and unplug the wires for left speaker , elec mirrors etc

remove the bolts in center of the dash(remove console first to access these)

remove glove box, undo heater cable off the heater box

remove the screen vent covers(3screws from memory) then undo the 5 dash screws against the windscreen.

the dash whole should be able to be pulled out enough on the left side to undo the 3 nuts holding the recirc flap on..

i did that at the wreckers and nothing broke..(as expected)

i fitted mine with my dash completely out, as i had the whole dash out for heater core replacement.. you should at least check the vent foam at the plenum to top of heater box above the recirc valve as they often blow out here and also cause passenger whining..

have fun, whole dash is heavy.(feels about 20kg when carrying, but its awkwardness adds another 10kg to its feel at times. get something like a paint tin to rest it on with a cusion to put between so it doesnt mark while you are in there..

if the air con doesn't work, i'd pull the whole dash out and pull the heater box apart and change the heater core if needed(very likely at this age) and do the vent foams and check for rust..