CHESTNUTXE

weird 5 speed crossy box

Hey i was out at wagoons this morning and he told me he had this 4 speed box if i wanted it,so yeah i will take it with me,a bit of research b4 i went out there by the pic's he sent me says its a 3.3 crossy 5 speed ,82 model too,alloy bellhousing you can lift the whole thing up with 1 hand practicly,it says this box was put behind bluebirds,corona's ,ect,,,,but when i try and find 5th it aint going anywhere ,does the box have to be moving to engauge the overdrive or wtf ?see pictures with the 5 on the casting just like it says on the internet about these boxes,even says 1 guy put 1 behind a 302w and if driven sensibly worked out ok.WP_20161227_14_54_22_Pro_zpswslpsk2l.jpg

i just did some research and it say's there is a 505,506 4 speed ,and 507 5 speed,and a jap box version as well,wait until i clean it and see what it is,could just be a 4 speed with no overdrive fitted which is the 506.

i've seen a 4 speed one, drove about 200kms to buy a 5 speed(seller says it has a 5 on the side, must be a 5 speed.. included reverse in his story) he was selling it as a T5 too which i wasn't impressed with, and naturally said keep it, wouldnt want it for $20, uses a different tailshaft too(which he didn't have... i am fairly sure i bought a borg warner yoke to fit in to keep the oil in on the way home)

The "5" cast into the side suggests it's a five speed. I had one of those behind a 4.1 in the late eighties as T5's were way too expensive back then. Dellow converted Celica boxes were the only other feasible overdrive gearbox options available and seemed fiddly to my 17 year old brain. These were the only option I gave myself - lasted a while then broke. I feel they only came behind 3.3's for a reason......

Plastic coated gears as others have suggested lol,there was a 4 speed version made it just doesnt have the overdrive fitted ,the case is the same as the 5 speed,others have fitted the 5th out of a sigma box and quite easy they said to do,also the car had a 2,92 diff as standard so i thought it was 5 speed straight away as the 5 speeds were either 2.92 or 3.23.

dave tell us about the mike vine 5 speed

The article just says that MV was privately importing a Borg Warner 5spd trans from the USA, with stronger internals, for fitment to his XE and XF turbo conversions.

The turbo conversions were carby or EFI, with a power output between 150kw - 257kw, at between 7lb and 15lb of boost.

His base offering, was 7lb of boost.

Customers had a choice of the standard 4spd, the imported 5spd,

or the factory 3spd auto, re-engineered with up-rated internals.

interesting also that DJ was using a moded internal rail box with top loader guts inside the box in the greens tuff era,ford in america gave him 2 boxes so the rumor has it,very big weight saving over the std top loader box.

SROD = single rail overdrive. Found on American cars before the T5 was used. Cars got the alloy case, trucks had iron. Third was direct just as fourth was in the old box, but fourth in a SROD is where third used to be and is an overdrive ratio, not a reduction. Some claim that they wore out prematurely because top gear was indirect and required the gears to be under stress all the time. http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html

Didn't waste anytime to make a quick buck Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322371458725

Hmmmmmm. I supplied parts in good faith to be used as spares to help out. To find out they are being sold to make money, in the same week they are taken away for free.........Just decided that the rest of my stuff is going to the dump!! Was trying to help out but guess that's not every ones cup of tea.

PS I'M OUT