FOMOCOHO

FG with ZF transmission - cooler reliability ?

Knowing there are plenty on here with an FG with ZF 6-spd for daily I ask the question, has anybody changed the transmission cooler with the PWR equivalent ?

Having done some homework I know how temperature sensitive the ZF is... this appears to be the only option besides the factory unit. It is rather pricey at around $730 for the kit. Questions are...

Is it necessary ?

Is the factory unit prone to leak coolant into the transmission on ZF ??

Has anyone fitted this kit to their car ???

Factory unit on my car...

4451-copy-R50_zpslautsr11.jpg

Kit from PWR...

PW052900K_zpstg9ogeya.jpg

Ebay example...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PWR-Ford-Falcon-BF-FG-6-Speed-ZF-Auto-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-Heat-Exchanger/322180641609?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39923%26meid%3D444f51df62f242829cd732cbc2f76f95%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D321934783671

Can you not just bypass it completely with an external oil to air cooler?

No because it would cool the trans-oil too much and then gear selection is affected. Has to be that kit...

Which is expensive...

That's why i'm asking if there is anyone has done it or had any problems with the existing unit. Not spending the doe unless there is leaking of coolant into the transmission issue with the factory units. The ZF trans. is not cheap either, lol.

Can you not just bypass it completely with an external oil to air cooler?

Is your turbo manual or auto??? 

Edit: this kit is for non-turbo. not sure if kit for FG with turbo & ZF is different.

That standed trans cooling setup is very much identical to what Scania and Mercedes Benz buses have with the ZF 9 speed Econo-Life auto boxes. Far as i know they are trouble free. I can only assume that the setup between N/A and Turbo is the same? Maybe ask someone at a Ford dealer maybe?

That standed trans cooling setup is very much identical to what Scania and Mercedes Benz buses have with the ZF 9 speed Econo-Life auto boxes. Far as i know they are trouble free. I can only assume that the setup between N/A and Turbo is the same? Maybe ask someone at a Ford dealer maybe?

Cheers Mark & yeah, i'll be talking to Ford local Monday.

Ford Transits had a very similar one for the engine oil, in the equivalent spot too. We did a couple, but Transits are shitboxes. Maybe monitor the gearbox oil temp before splashing out on an expensive upgrade that may not be needed.

Was meant to also add to my post. M.A.N buses as well have the same setup.

Cheers Mark & yeah, i'll be talking to Ford local Monday.

No stress mate :) The ZF 6 speed is an awesome auto but expensive to service and fix

Ford Transits had a very similar one for the engine oil, in the equivalent spot too. We did a couple, but Transits are shitboxes. Maybe monitor the gearbox oil temp before splashing out on an expensive upgrade that may not be needed.

Those new transits are FWD i've seen. Your not wrong about them being shitboxes, a mechanic mate of mine at the Ford dealership in Geelong did an engine change when it near new lol

Rog, so the ZF's are picky about trans oil temp. Whats it gotta be? around 80-90ºC?

Not sure on exact temp, no gauge so far. Will ask PWR/Ford Tomorrow.

Found this on AFF...

AFF%20PWR%20post_zpsvgkuaxgn.jpg

& the link..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11390288

So, according to them the factory unit is sus... Ford will probably say they're fine as would Getrag. I want an independent review!  :P

The mounting position of the PWR unit is better for longtivity. Mounting it on the sump would add to the failure and 'milkshake' mix I think, but may have been done for temperature reasons and not just 'bean-counting' by Ford. 

Do these fit an FMX!

Probably but you'd be wasting your dosh... better off spending it chroming the FMX. ;)

My spare already has an air cooled unit... :)

35d25c24-4e1b-4c36-9d41-7f7bc0b68cd9_zps

Edit: I'd be more worried about the ZF in your FG-X needing one. Where do they mount the factory unit on the coyote?

You can use a generic oil cooler, plenty have done it with the zf with zero issues. The zf sensitivity is a bit over stated imo.

Or the v8 still use the cooler in the radiator,,so maybe that could be fitted to a six? No idea how different the fittings are.

Pretty sure in the 'milkshake' thread on aff there is a few members that have used different coolers to that per setup quite successfully.

At $700 for the pwr setup, plus the service cost as well its not really cheap insurance. Zf's are cheap these days, granted not as cheap as btrs but not the 3-4K for a wrecker unit like they were.

On 12/18/2016 at 12:14 PM, Defective said:

At $700 for the pwr setup, plus the service cost as well its not really cheap insurance. Zf's are cheap these days, granted not as cheap as btrs but not the 3-4K for a wrecker unit like they were.

Agree with you 100%. I was quoted nearly $2,000 to fit a PWR heat exchanger + highly recommended ZF fluid & filter change + must do coolant change. Glad I looked around and didn't go ahead. 

If someone still worries about heat exchanger, there is a $20 option. Change one every year, still be ahead of a PWR one in 20 years... 

Ford Falcon/Territory Heat Exchanger brand new $20