djbxr

88 XF ute issues

Hi i am new here, but looks like there is a lot of knowledge on here, and i saw Mr Polsons ute thread who is also i Hobart so thought this may be the place.so hopefully people can help.

have had a manual 88 xf 250 xflow ute for ten years always been reliable.

I have couple of questions,

1. its always been missing the vacum delay valve that should be attached to the air filter leg in first photo, is this an issue, maybe i can find one at a wreckers, if so where does the other hose end connect to.

2. It has always had this hose blocked off with a bolt, the hose comes out of the bottom of the three legged white plastic bit,and the hose splits in two , one hose goes off to the front of the engine and the other hose is blocked off with a bolt. where should this hose go and why is it blocked off, is this where the other end of the VDV would connect into from the air cleaner leg

3. now for the most important issue, its started leaking oil when being driven a while ago, i thought it may have been the oil pressure switch, so i replaced that and the leak is still there, thought it may have been rocker cover gasket, but i degreased it and went for a drive and then took the photo and it didnt seem to be flowjng down from the back of the rocker cover, is it the rear main seal gone? if so is this a big job. or is it something else

thanks

16120072_zpsvhqvhigg.jpg

16120073_zpsrouvu1qd.jpg

16120074_zpsiisouilj.jpg

It looks like the vacuum lines are connected wrong.

The black hose with the black/brown one way valve/spark arrestor in it,

should connect to the hot air intake actuator on the air cleaner tennis racket.

The hose with the bolt in it, should go to the PVS with the heater hose going into it.

oh ok thanks, but do you mean like this, if thats the case then the hose with the bolt  wont fit as the hose with the bolt in it is much smaller diameter than the white plastic moulded on stub coming out of the PVS

setup_zpsq8uhmlww.png

It looks like the vacuum lines are connected wrong.

The black hose with the black/brown one way valve/spark arrestor in it,

should connect to the hot air intake actuator on the air cleaner tennis racket.

The hose with the bolt in it, should go to the PVS with the heater hose going into it.

like this?

Mine is blocked off in my ute ,,

Would expect more oil at the bottom of the bellhousing than up the top if it was a main seal problem

you mean yours is blocked off too where mine has the bolt?

oh ok maybe i should replace the rocker cover gasket first and see if i can eliminate that then

like this?

The short length of black rubber hose, stays with the one way valve,

and plugs onto that air cleaner actuator.

Yeah, then the hose with the bolt, goes into that white elbow, where the black hose currently is.

On mine, the the black non-flexible plastic line, goes directly into that white elbow,

the same as that white non-flexible line.

We need a closeup of the white elbow, without the rubber hose connected to it.

The white elbow, may even be pushed into the rubber PVS block, the wrong way around.

ok thanks for the info, i knew someone on here would know whats going on

when you say photo of white elbow do you mean the one i have circled and marked "1" ?

if so i can take photo tomorrow during the day and post it up here for you

thanks

David

The bottom line off the trihose valve on the manifold is blocked off on mine

oh ok well you may be able to get yours sorted out too once we get this sorted

ok thanks for the info, i knew someone on here would know whats going on

when you say photo of white elbow do you mean the one i have circled and marked "1" ?

if so i can take photo tomorrow during the day and post it up here for you

thanks

David

Yeah the white plastic elbow, underneath the white line, and the just above the heater hose.

so i took the

Yeah the white plastic elbow, underneath the white line, and the just above the heater hose.

so i took the hose of the white elbow and yep you are correct the black non flexible line does fit straight into it, so now i just have to buy a longer piece of the rubber hose to reach the air cleaner actuator from the black/brown valve , and see how it goes, do you recon i will notice any difference in performance or running?, runs pretty dam smooth as it is so will be interesting to see.

thanks for the info tho mate much appreciated.

so i took the

so i took the hose of the white elbow and yep you are correct the black non flexible line does fit straight into it, so now i just have to buy a longer piece of the rubber hose to reach the air cleaner actuator from the black/brown valve , and see how it goes, do you recon i will notice any difference in performance or running?, runs pretty dam smooth as it is so will be interesting to see.

thanks for the info tho mate much appreciated.

The black rubber hose, normally come out on the exhaust side, (opposite to where it comes out at the moment)

It then routes across the top of the snout on an angle, and directly to the actuator.

Routing it correctly, should get you the extra length needed, to reach the actuator.

The rubber hose on yours doesn't look like it's been shortened at all,

comparing it with mine, it looks like the stock standard length.

The black rubber hose, goes underneath the aircleaner housing and comes out, on the exhaust side of the intake snout,

Then routes across the top of the snout on an angle, and directly to the actuator.

The rubber hose on yours, doesn't look like it's been shortened at all,

comparing it with mine, it looks like the stock standard length.

oh ok , i will take air cleaner off and check then, thanks

Anything to keep the dolphin squeezers and tree huggers happy at the time .

Then they chugg arround in a diesel clunker to piss moan about anything in the water .

so what do all these hoses and valves do on these anyway, is it anti polution gear or what?

The PVS hoses are part of the Aircon system, and part of the EGR valve.

Basically, if I remember rightly,

one of the PVS's makes the carby idle up slightly - once the engine is over a certain temp, and when you have the Aircon Compressor engaged.

The other PVS allows the EGR valve to open/close, once the engine has reached operating temp.

The actuator on the aircleaner snout, is just for the hot air intake.

It has an air temperature valve in the air cleaner base, which is supplied with manifold vacuum.

If the air temp is under a certain value, the sensor allows the actuator to open a gate in the snout,

drawing warm air from the exhaust manifold pipe.

It closes off again, once the air temp increases.

i did a search on removing rocker cover to replace gasket, and found someone saying you need to remove the carbi to get rocker cover off, is this true, from the photo in the post i cant see why you just cant lift the left side (opposite side of carbi) of rocker cover up a little, and slide cover to left a bit to clear the flange on the carbi before lifting the rocker cover up.

rc_zpsz7bdly0k.png

The PVS hoses are part of the Aircon system, and part of the EGR valve.

Basically, if I remember rightly,

one of the PVS's makes the carby idle up slightly - once the engine is over a certain temp, and when you have the Aircon Compressor engaged.

The other PVS allows the EGR valve to open/close, once the engine has reached operating temp.

The actuator on the aircleaner snout, is just for the hot air intake.

It has an air temperature valve in the air cleaner base, which is supplied with manifold vacuum.

If the air temp is under a certain value, the sensor allows the actuator to open a gate in the snout,

drawing warm air from the exhaust manifold pipe.

It closes off again, once the air temp increases.

ok so i replaced a couple of the alloy heater hose spigots that screw into the head/intake manifold as they were corroded, while i was at it i cleaned out the EGR valve and put it back on and now the ute runs really rough, it dies at idle soon as you take foot of accelerator and when you have foot on accelerator to keep it going it seems to surge too.

the EGR valve was connected originally when i took it off to clean and car was running fine like it always has,so i even tried blocking the EGR  off and it made no difference,what could be going wrong was running fine and all i did was clean the EGR valve and replace the heater hose spigots so it must be the EGR valve but it runs the same (bad) weather its connected up or blocked off now

can anyone help please as i dont want to take it to a mechanic to fix

thanks

thats what i thought may have happened but i couldnt see any tonight,but it was getting dark  i will take the air cleaner off tomorrow and have a look

thanks

one of the alloy spigots that i had to replace had the coolant temperature sensor screwed into it, but all i did was unscrew it from the old spigot and into the new one