Sign in to follow this  
dizzy616

still got problems with the xf

it seems everything ive done has only extended the period of time till my problem has come back

it surges and stalls after a hour of driving. i can wait a bit for it to cool down and then it will fire up.

now ive got the timing spot on

tuned the carby properly

got rid of a voltage drop issue to the starter motor

changed the coil

cleaned petrol system

who has got a clue what is doing this?

im going to try swapping the distributer next see if that helps

mine used to do something similar would be fine for a while then just have a hissy fit and die was a pretty common thing to happen on a hot day someone said if the module is old or hot it could cause it because after i let it sit on the side of the road for abit it went fine for a while so sort of makes sense.

cant say if a new modules fixed it or not hasn't been running for ages but there easy to swap over and i not that costly.

hmm i tested one and fitted it properly from a xe in it. allthough it warming up might make it play up i might get a new one. if thats the case

hopefully will fix it

might try one from my parts bin for now

I had this problem for ages, changed modules, and every ignition component on my CT in the en it turned out to be the fuel pump couldn't draw through the fuel filter, changed it and fixed the problem

is there a chance that the fuel pump can warm up to much and become faulty?

doubt it If so ive never heard of it. but have heard of the modules getting to hot and chucking a fit id say the pump is ok if its pumping plenty of fuel like you said.

I have heard and personally seen both of these problems. I had one car that could drive around town all day and be fine. Drive 110kays to tville and halfway back and just die. So out i drive(1/2hour) crank and fires instantly. Ended up being the fuel pump. Got a little to hot and the armature seized. After a litttle cool down it released and the pump ran. I know it sounds fu&^ed up but it worked for this customer. The hardest thing is trying to explain to them that we had to replace a part that was actually working.

hmm i replaced the ignition module with a brand new one today. still yet to take it out for a good drive to see if it worked.

i might chase up a fuel pump if it doesn't work.

lucky with the ignition module. dude said no returns on electrical components and i replaced it in their driveway. the first module did not work he came out because he heard it trying to fire up. saw the ford manual i had out looked over it. and then told me he will get another module from inside put that one in and it fired straight away.

i suppose he saw that i was doing the job right and the module was faulty. no charge on the second module