gerg

The Gergwagon Revamp

447 posts in this topic

Does your wagon have any rust under the roof racks Gerg?

My one has some serious surface rust coming through. Trying to decide how to attack it.

If there is decent metal still there, nip it in the bud now ie: rust treatment and proofing. If it needs a patch welded in, that's a bitch because roofs can buckle easily if not done carefully.

GspecZL likes this

Thinking of going to this. Thing I like about this one is that the duration is longer but lift is just above 0.500", making it friendly to a stock valvetrain. Also 2Vs flatten out in flow after 0.500" lift anyway.

If it's the same as the equivalent Crow grind (and they often are) then lobe sep will be 110 deg, down from 112 with my current Crow #21666 (204/214 @ 0.050), possibly boosting the mid-range, which I want.

I just feel that the current one makes the engine not quite the sum of its parts.

Anyone used this grind, 224/224 @ 0.050" but in a Crow #21686?

I good mate of mine has a cam with extremely similar specs in his 51, which is basic standard rebuilt motor. Sounds good and is a good street cruiser, bags the tyres no trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerg likes this

I good mate of mine has a cam with extremely similar specs in his 51, which is basic standard rebuilt motor. Sounds good and is a good street cruiser, bags the tyres no trouble.

What's it like on the juice... Or should I not ask?

What's it like on the juice... Or should I not ask?

gerg likes this

If there is decent metal still there, nip it in the bud now ie: rust treatment and proofing. If it needs a patch welded in, that's a bitch because roofs can buckle easily if not done carefully.

I'll get onto it. And pray.

Hey gerg, things going a bit slow this end but did find some arms after some hunting. Quick scrub & at least four of them look like new!

5053-copy_zpsrpybjk9b.jpg

Brilliant! You really must have a lot of spare time though.

Brilliant! You really must have a lot of spare time though.

Haha NO! I wish gerg. I made the time. Unlike some of the equations in Eng Modelling is wasn't that hard. When I can't fathom something, I go off & do something else... and I was wondering what happened to them. They weren't where I thought they would be at all but finding them took longer that scubbing them, that was about two minutes each because most were off my S-pak which was a very good car.

& i'm only responding now as i'm waiting for the iron to warm up, then i'm off to do some work.

You seem to have a lot more time that me gerg to be in here so much!  :P

gerg likes this

ha, double quote again!

Edit: Damn it! I turned the extension reel off, not on, doh! & yes I iron my own clothes! Very domesticated I am!

OK so I did the classic mistake and looked for rust in the usual, predictable places. And guess what? I found rust!

I went to clean the leaves out of the plenum, after pulling the guard off, found this on the passenger side: 747c5fc6b50073930786183d6c03db4d.jpg2fa9f1a964ce6207bb49bd36b63a449b.jpg57211c9656e79bec1c7960e56cfa8562.jpg

So as you can see, the wonderful design of the X-falcon plenum has the water draining away to a low point where it can't escape, collecting leaves and shit and rusting the fan inlet lip away plus the bonnet hinge bracket and bottom of the plenum. No wonder the passenger side carpet was always wet (which now has its own rust issues).

Those Ford engineers really need rooting with a large blunt implement.

MNTL.XD likes this

Hahaha, definitely agree, the engineers need a flogging, second thoughts, they no doubt flog themselves regularly so would enjoy a flogging too much. That rust looks pretty bad mate, might be a bit of a bugger to repair right in the corner like that! Thankfully mine's really good there, but does have a small hole on the drivers side which i welded a plate to but hasn't sealed, still bloody leaks, i've got pics somewhere. I'm going to have to remove a section of plenum at some stage to repair it properly but as it doesn't really sit out in the weather or anything i'm in no big rush.
I wonder what your drivers side of the plenum is like?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gerg likes this

I wonder what your drivers side of the plenum is like?

That was gonna be my next post... But to answer your question: fucked, but not as much. The front of the plenum that hides beneath where the catwalk joins the firewall was non-existant, and the vent opening in the floor had some serious holes in it.

Same story, pulled out about 4 handfuls of compost just sitting there rotting. Got that apart but a mate and I already started welding patches in and applying cold gal.

Won't be pretty but at least strong and functional.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

2redrovers and MNTL.XD like this

Doesn't look too bad at the front of the plenum there, but what's it like at the rear of the plenum? Inside that little square you've cut out in that last pic you can just see a plate laying flat, they usually go at the other end of that plate, but underneath it where it can't be seen from looking inside the plenum, it can only be seen by looking up under the dash and removing sound proofing material.

if the drivers side is done..tip some water in there see if it pools under the "bridge" just to the right in picture(mine was gone under there.. .)  if so paint under there REALLY well.
not the best designed plenum ... Rod (Merlin)was talking about changing the shape so water would run off better, i always wanted to open up the drains better..

gerg likes this

4 minutes ago, MNTL.XD said:

... or make a complete plenum floor out of stainless. lol.

or block the whole air intake off completely and use windows for fresh air and recirc for all heater uses

MNTL.XD likes this

they usually go at the other end of that plate, but underneath it where it can't be seen from looking inside the plenum, it can only be seen by looking up under the dash and removing sound proofing material.

Cheers for the heads-up on that, will have a gander tomorrow.

What I did notice was that where the big sideways triangle bit that Josh cut out is, it was actually already a gaping hole. I reckon the water and shit used to spill out there instead of collecting further down. I did find a pile of leaves just upstream of that and also in the "tunnel" that goes under the wiper motor. What a fucked design.

Fingers crossed, there's no more cancer left.

deankdx likes this

Doesn't look too bad at the front of the plenum there, but what's it like at the rear of the plenum? Inside that little square you've cut out in that last pic you can just see a plate laying flat, they usually go at the other end of that plate, but underneath it where it can't be seen from looking inside the plenum, it can only be seen by looking up under the dash and removing sound proofing material.

After poking around, it all seems pretty intact. I reckon 2-pack painted cars are like that, it's either pristine or completely fucked out. Unlike the old baked enamel cars of the 60s that just seem to patina slowly.

Just a couple of small rust holes to go, but in the meantime I've been welding up the stupid roof rack holes which if anyone has owned a box wagon, will know about.

They're now welded, bogged, spray-puttied, primed and ready for a full body prime once the rest of the old clear is rubbed off.

Anyway update on the plenum:

a2eea9b8e7982c632e242488b3407dcd.jpg3da8f62aa11f3dc1980650e9c8dcae44.jpg