gerg

The Gergwagon Revamp

506 posts in this topic

Well I fucked the headlight reflectors today. Thought I'd be a smart guy and put them in the dishwasher.... Would bring them up nice I said. Well, the chrome had vapourised off whatever plasticky coating they have, leaving a shitty brown varnish behind. I peeled it off leaving the grey primer underneath.

So I looked up some chroming places, looks like a new headlight would be cheaper than going down that road

Surely you could put some kind of sticky reflective film on it? I saw some shit at Bunnings that looked the ticket:

7e78522d46b1d31a8cc32f6881633c1f.jpg

It's surprisingly shiny and super tough. Glue is strong too.

The catch: it's got near zero stretch in it, like cellutape. So trying to wrap it inside a compound curve like this ends up looking a bit wrinkly and shitty.

But it works. I put the wrapped reflector on one of the house lights and could see lots of light directed out of it and could feel heat from it too. That's a good sign that it will work OK on the car. With the glass lenses in place, the wrinkles and overlaps will be much less noticeable.

Before/after:

080ed309ba21ffa43632ecee03d07407.jpg

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Valvebouncer likes this

i got an XF headlight once that someone had stuck on a reflective tape like that, it worked 10times better than faded shithouse XF ones.. 

@SPArKy_Dave was crapping on about doing it himself once, but i doubt he's researched the process in enough detail. 

there are youtube clips on it, and the mob i used are $100 min for a re shiny(can't remember "remetalize"? ) 
the mob i used had to send off the shit plastic XF ones off to be base coated in 2 pack flow coated black, then they do the silver over that its like a paint. you cant touch it. fragile..(don't dishwasher it)

BUT, i had read/heard that VH commodore reflectors are same as XE, and might be available still? repro ones probably fit the original housings also..they'd be better than that tape no doubt. 

gerg likes this

if you had of posted this yesterday i could have stopped in at Imlachs wreckers and checked if the XE lights were still out in the rain on a pallet and what the cost is(guess $35 each) they were pretty rough, could have been non genuine even. .. not sure when i'll be over that way again now

gerg likes this

better than silver paint which i have also seen

My mate Josh (sign installer/fabricator) just scored some chrome vinyl wrap so tomorrow, we're doing the passenger side in that. If it turns out better, then I'll rip the driver's side back out and redo it.

deankdx and Valvebouncer like this

11 hours ago, gerg said:

My mate Josh (sign installer/fabricator) just scored some chrome vinyl wrap so tomorrow, we're doing the passenger side in that. If it turns out better, then I'll rip the driver's side back out and redo it.

how does that stuff last? or cope with heat from lights?

how does that stuff last? or cope with heat from lights?
I guess we'll find out! I know it can be softened with heat (that's how you get it to conform) but I suppose that a car sitting in the summer sun is subject to a lot of that too.

the headlight globe makes a fair bit of heat, soon find out how it goes.. just hope it doesn't sag onto the light and start a fire?

gerg likes this