gerg

The Gergwagon Revamp

506 posts in this topic

HI Gerg
I have the Supercheap gun set the same as yours and found when spraying the father in laws Ford Trade truck cab, I had tons of orange peel, So much so after 3 coats we left it for a week came back and gave it a rub back and clean, then used a Sata suction gun I bought at a garage sale, So much better then the supercheap gravity fed guns. All adjustments worked (Fan, Flow and Pressure). Colour laid on better and seemed to be thicker as well without runs.

Bit late now but next time give me a shout and you can borrow it.

Jeez thanks mate, you're a champion. That's got me thinking now. I could get another litre and squirt it on..... Hmmmm

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I agree with the rub back and more coats. It gives you more depth for buffing and future cut & polishes. I reckon you should stick to a strict schedule to keep the wax up to it seeing as it's acrylic and will be outside it's whole life.

gerg, Outback Jack and 2redrovers like this

But don't be in a hurry to wax it the first time. Wax will seal up the pores of the paint and stop the solvent from being able to gas out while its fresh. Give it time to cure fully before you seal it up with wax to prevent things like clouding and bubbling.

Once cured though, as XPT said, regular wash and wax will preserve it for longer.

Outback Jack, gerg and XPT like this

2 hours ago, gerg said:

Jeez thanks mate, you're a champion. That's got me thinking now. I could get another litre and squirt it on..... Hmmmm

Well its here and you have my number, I have moved house but not to far down the road, to Melrose Park

gerg likes this

Well its here and you have my number, I have moved house but not to far down the road, to Melrose Park
Thanks mate I'll get in touch shortly

now you'll see how much harder clear is to sand compared to undercoat... got a power sander? 

Acrylic takes longer to dry if i was you i would let it dry a week so it hardends up then start with your 8 hundy with plenty detergent then 1000 and so on,i only use 2k these days as its good enough off the gun.

Rub it back and flow coat it with more clear and the other gun.. like a brown sparkly crystal

Well I dug out an air whizzer that I bought a while back from Aldi for 30 bucks or something. Now that I have a compressor to keep up with it, I went and got some 1200 and 2000 pads. Whacked on the 1200s and bloody hell it chews through them!

Lots of work too, so by the end of it, I'd gone through all 6 pads and still wasn't happy with the result. I ended up getting some slightly worn 800 and just wet hand-sanding and going by feel. I found this not to be any more work than using the whizzer and you have much better control over corners, etc.

All was good until I looked in the fresh light in the morning and found some bloody rub-throughs from the whizzer! So got the touch-up gun and squirted some colour on the offending bits, and did the beaver panel with the rest of the pot. Just trowelled it on, like a metallic spray putty, with zero fucks given. Might even black it out later on, we'll see.

I'm definitely going the plenum black-out as per the red Phase 6, it just looks right. Gloss will look better and won't look dirty like a satin or matte.

Amazing even with 1200 paper, you get an actual shine looking down the car!

Going to pick up the good gun from Jeff's tomorrow. Bought a litre of clear to slap on and hopefully that's the painting done.

Outback Jack and Valvebouncer like this

First off, thankyou to Jeff5.8 for loaning me his gun: a Star 770 suction feed. Great all-rounder with surprisingly fine spray for a 2.0 tip. The difference to the other supercheapies was like night and day. The finish off the gun really laid down the rough dry peel I was getting at the edges of the fan.

Once dried, I took to it with some 800 in the worst areas, then on to 1200 and finally 2000 in the most visible places (ie down to the swage line, etc.)

Using Septone cutting compound on an orange pad, I borrowed a 6-speed buff off a mate.

I've develloped my own technique so that polish doesn't go flying everywhere: lightly smear the compound evenly across the panel by hand, misted lightly with a water spray bottle. Initially work it into the paint firmly with the buff on #1 speed. As the compound thins out, ramp it up to #3 and move more quickly across the paint until the powdery residue is gone. Has worked well with minimal mess. Might try a spray of water to stop burn-through, which has happened once already (but fixed).

Blacked out the bumper with satin black (hides bumps and chips better).

Red rubber strip will be re-created with pinstripe tape.

Overall, not 100% happy as the paint is a tad wavy. I put it down to my impatience in having to get it done, even painting on hot days when the paint sets too quickly (doesn't lay down).

Next time I'll wait for cooler weather. Lesson learnt.

------------------

First buff cut after 1200/2000:2fd89439bd110d403ae8f633c9206ec3.jpg

looks a completely different colour now, closer to original

gerg likes this

looks a completely different colour now, closer to original

The chips really show in the sun or under fluoros, I really love the colour. Can't wait to get the S-pack stripes on it.

I think the original clear had yellowed before, making everything darker.

deankdx and Valvebouncer like this

The original (factory) metallic paint on these is a single stage enamel - ie, no clear.
It's funny how everyone hated brown, a while ago.... and now it's actually a desired colour!

I didn't know that Dave. It definitely had a layer of 2K clear over everything, which was done later (and poorly).

I don't think it's supposed to have the lustre it has now, but I don't mind, I like it.

You're starting to see a lot of new cars popping up with a very similar colour (but looks more like a pearl than metallic) ie Mazda and Nissan.

Outback Jack and Valvebouncer like this

did your next door neighbor get gassed out lol
Dunno, haven't seen them for days. Might have the shits with me lol

That's come up sweet as, Bru.  Had a mate who used to have a Nutmeg? 302 sedan, and I still remember the car's colour. Weren't too many around, even back then, but, I still loved the colour on that XD shape. Had a thin double orange pin stripe down the swage line. 

gerg and Outback Jack like this

On 3/1/2018 at 9:48 PM, gerg said:

The chips really show in the sun or under fluoros, I really love the colour. Can't wait to get the S-pack stripes on it.

I think the original clear had yellowed before, making everything darker.

New paint looks fantastic gerg! Colour looks awesome in the photos.

My XE has no clear coat but has yellowed with age too... being snowhite (code 9) it looks like some-one pissed in the snow during that 36 years in a few places! 

21 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

The original (factory) metallic paint on these is a single stage enamel - ie, no clear.
It's funny how everyone hated brown, a while ago.... and now it's actually a desired colour! :)

Was a blue, white, blue, white day... falcon, territory, falcon, territory...

Compressed to death & cut but still evokes emotion. End of an era!

gerg, Outback Jack and macman like this

I tried to copy the plenum blackout of this famous beastie, but i think I rather fucked up. This pic was the best angle I could get and I didn't note the proper shape of the ends (on top of the guards). They have a slight taper inwards then radius around to meet the rear of the bonnet line. This softens the look so you don't notice it at first.

Mine was (as usual) done in a hurry and although the blacked-out plenum was always going to happen, I'm not happy with the execution. The squared-off ends just don't work.

My mate that does vinyl wraps reckons he has some matt black to go on and will cut it with knifeless tape. The look may yet be corrected so we'll see how that goes. The edge will be softened also by some orange/red pinstripe going down the bonnet crease line and following the plenum line across to the tops of the guards and then windscreen base. The orange/red will hopefully match the S-pack stripes.16090059124_1f061287f3_b.jpgIMG20180310193422.jpgIMG20180310185948.jpg

You won't notice it as much when you've got the wipers, new windscreen and leaf guard thingy in. Your eye is drawn to it because it's all bare and the windscreen is white. I think it will look fine.

gerg likes this