gerg

The Gergwagon Revamp

447 posts in this topic

She runs out of rego today, got too many things wrong to keep flogging her on the road so it's time to do a mid-life makeover

On the wish-list:

* closed-door respray

* cylinder head mild port & 3-angle, new seals

* maybe a better cam (we'll see)

* interior update with better seats & new carpet, retrimmed door cards.

* eliminate any rust creeping in to the usual areas

* diff rebuild & 2.92 gears

* tailshaft, output yoke & seal

* shelby drop

* slotted discs

* power steer conversion

* neoprene bushes in selected areas

Fuck that's a lot

Anyway, got started today:

Following this for sure. I've become a wagon addict.

Love the Spac stripes. I think they would suit the cursed wagon.

I actually prefer my non power steer but each to their own. Your list has a few things mine has.

SirkWhyXF and SPArKy_Dave like this

That 2.92lsd is still sitting out the front of work. I'll be doing a road trip to Brissy in January Feb. Freight from brissy to Sydney wouldn't be that bad. I'll donate the diff to the cause. You just pay the freight or maybe someone on here can hook you up.

gerg and SirkWhyXF like this

Don't hold your breath, it will be over the course of a few months at least.

I love the colour scheme too, originally I got the car for shits and giggles as I thought the 80s brown was hilarious, but it has really grown on me. The stripe kit is available for sedans but wagons would use the same one with just a bit of extra stripe before the rear arch.

GspecZL likes this

That 2.92lsd is still sitting out the front of work. I'll be doing a road trip to Brissy in January Feb. Freight from brissy to Sydney wouldn't be that bad. I'll donate the diff to the cause. You just pay the freight or maybe someone on here can hook you up.

Wow you serious? That's really too kind of you Ando. My brother just moved to Northlakes last week so maybe he can tee it up for me. I've got his XP ute stored here so I'll hold it for ransom lol

SirkWhyXF, ando76, XPT and 1 other like this

Don't hold your breath, it will be over the course of a few months at least.

I love the colour scheme too, originally I got the car for shits and giggles as I thought the 80s brown was hilarious, but it has really grown on me. The stripe kit is available for sedans but wagons would use the same one with just a bit of extra stripe before the rear arch.

My Datsun is in a colour called Gibson tan. I hated it 12 years ago. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good info. Might buy a set.

gerg likes this

The stripe kit is available for sedans but wagons would use the same one with just a bit of extra stripe before the rear arch.

And a more agressive slant on the rear quarter 'S' decal, compared with sedans/utes.

Ant's ran into this exact problem with his XD/XE/LS wagon... :P

Look at his stripes and you'll see the rear quarter is wrong.

He did a mashup of sedan/ute stripes from Graffix Unlimited, who do the repro stripes.

Greg, you might need to do a stencil of the quarter panel S-pack decal for us. :)

Then we can get Graffix Unlimited to repro the wagon stripes too!

GspecZL, gerg and SirkWhyXF like this

Wow you serious? That's really too kind of you Ando. My brother just moved to Northlakes last week so maybe he can tee it up for me. I've got his XP ute stored here so I'll hold it for ransom lol

Yes deadly serious mate. My sis lives at north lakes so dropping at your brothers would not be a problem. I'd rather give it to someone than send it to China to be turned into a Hyundai. Road trip is on for Feb anyway and a bit of weight in the trailer on the way down would be a help.

Following this for sure. I've become a wagon addict.

Love the Spac stripes. I think they would suit the cursed wagon.

I actually prefer my non power steer but each to their own. Your list has a few things mine has.

I just got confused for a sec when i opened the thread and saw the poo brown wagon, when i was reading your first post the other day i had the cursed wagon in my head for some reason. Then i realised wrong wagon dickhead (palm face).

A reasonably substantial list to work on, but very achievable and well worth the effort, and some what eased by Ando's generous offer.

gerg likes this

Just gotta make time, so I'll vow to spend 30 min a day on it and no more, that will teach me to time manage better. Since starting yesterday, I'm only one seat away from having the interior completely gutted including carpet. Not bad for a lazy bastard like me.

SPArKy_Dave and SirkWhyXF like this

Damn, that's some agro lookin' rust happening on the roof rails...........

Love the colour, with the fluro orange stripe. Definitely keep it like that. 

gerg likes this

Yes deadly serious mate. My sis lives at north lakes so dropping at your brothers would not be a problem. I'd rather give it to someone than send it to China to be turned into a Hyundai. Road trip is on for Feb anyway and a bit of weight in the trailer on the way down would be a help.

Since Tony is donating to the cause, I have a rust free XF front guard( not sure which side, I'll check) if you want it come and grab it to cut up to fix yours.

gerg and SirkWhyXF like this

Long live the long roofs!I always used to dislike the x series wagons, then I bought one and now I'd feel lost without one.Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I always admired them. Then I got one and now I want another. Ah the practicality

gerg likes this

I have a rust free XF front guard( not sure which side, I'll check) if you want it come and grab it to cut up to fix yours.

Jeez thanks mate, but would be a shame to cut up a rust-free one just for a couple of small holes, plus I dunno where you're at but I'm in Seven Hills (Sydney).

I have a rust free XF front guard( not sure which side, I'll check) if you want it come and grab it to cut up to fix yours.

Jeez thanks mate, but would be a shame to cut up a rust-free one just for a couple of small holes, plus I dunno where you're at but I'm in Seven Hills (Sydney).

I'm mid blue mountains, 45 mins drive from you. Come and get it, it's free cut it up!!

I'm mid blue mountains, 45 mins drive from you. Come and get it, it's free cut it up!!

Come to think of it, that lower section on mine is a different colour all the way up to the bumper strip. I wonder if they've bogged it up and spray-canned over it. Might be a good idea to grab it off you. Sure then... I'll tee it up later in the week. I've got Friday off so that makes things easier. Any bits that you might be after? Not likely to have them but you never know!