Server maintenance Read more... ×
LJDB

EFI Xflow with EL ecu

I was searching a couple pages on facebook and came across a white XE Turbo with a 250 Xflow using a XF EFI hardware with a El ecu. Does anyone know of this car or have any details on the set up. Car looks real clean and making good power. Would be a relatively cheap alternative as parts are easy to come by and cheap.

I have this setup in my xf.

Its easy to do, take an el loom and connect the 8 wires into the main xf wiring harness by the brake booster.  This will be basic switched power, oil lamp and coolant temp and kam (keep alive memory) and clutch.

Can then use a j3 chip and tuner pro rt to tune it.  If you have a moates quarter horse you can tune in real time too.

These two pictures describe it and taken from http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11173-eb-efi-management-to-run-an-efi-xflow-thread/

Am I allowed to post that without being vilified lol?

F79C1026.jpgF79C1033.jpg

I was searching a couple pages on facebook and came across a white XE Turbo with a 250 Xflow using a XF EFI hardware with a El ecu. Does anyone know of this car or have any details on the set up. Car looks real clean and making good power. Would be a relatively cheap alternative as parts are easy to come by and cheap.

that car also runs a MAP sensor, rather than the vane meter, and an o2 sensor. 

i looked into this for my XF wagon (for when i turbocharge it). you keep the stock throttle body, knock sensor, ISC valve etc etc. just the way it meters air gets changed. 

any more info on this Lord? Do you have to re-pin the ecu loom or anything? 

I haven't ordered it yet, but i came across a mob in the US who make plug and play aftermarket ECUs for the US EEC4 injected cars. I got in contact, and after many emails back and forth, it turns out the US cars are the same pin out as the AUS cars. I put together a conversion chart after decoding the wiring looms, and the guy from the company confirmed that they would also plug and play with the early Australian injected cars, in this case an XF EFi. 

It runs Megasquirt hardware, has 2 on board MAP sensors, SD card slot for the tunes, and can be tuned using Megasquirt software. 

The only thing that changes, is you have to plum in an o2 sensor, and run a single wire into a certain pin on the XF ECU plug, which is blank at the moment. unfortunately they are frigging expensive. 

If you get all the sensors and plugs it will all go in.

The air inlet temp sensor I used the hole on the rear of the xf inlet, coolant temp sensor is the same

Just need to mount the maf and away you go.

I'd go mega squirt next time as easier to add turbos and shit later

If you get all the sensors and plugs it will all go in.

The air inlet temp sensor I used the hole on the rear of the xf inlet, coolant temp sensor is the same

Just need to mount the maf and away you go.

I'd go mega squirt next time as easier to add turbos and shit later

when i was looking into running the EL computer, i was certain the ECU itself was a different pin out (30 pin plug) hence why i looked into other alternatives 

My thoughts are for converting a carb xflow to efi and being able to tune it easily (j3). Xf efi stuff is cheap and easy to come by and a el ecu is a dime a dozen at pick a part ect. Bolt a turbo on the other side and tune it away u go.

Nah ea-ed are ford 60 pin

ef au are 105 pin but need crank angle sensor too.

el is slightly different 60 pin with some changes.

Easiest way is to take the whole el loom and just splice on the 8 pin plug above to get it to mate to the xf.

Do a search for el pinouts to get your colour codes right and ya away

So I've started the process. I picked up a engine wiring loom from battery to ecu off a eb mpfi 3.9 without smart lock and all the sensors required. Also sourced a xf inlet manifold and e2 head. I've removed any unwanted wires from the ecu and loom and dummied it up on the floor. I don't have a xf dizzy except for the one in the car ATM but I hooked up the old TFI module to the loom and earthed out the pip signal to trip the ecu as if it was the dizzy and the injectors operated. Also when I power the ignition wire the fuel pump relay and isc operated then switch off as expected. So everything seems pretty straight forward so far.

it should be a matter of using the original ignition, starter circuits and oil and coolant temp sensors for the dash, then everything else the eb loom.

Yeah I've got the temp sensor for the ecu il see if it will screw into one of the heater hose fittings on the side of the head. Il use the corty on for the dash.

My bro said I should fit the EFi from my EA to my 300hp crossflow, but I'm like "but I've QFT 600 slayer & aussie speed for it".

tho I have though of using stripped EA loom, change from EEC-4 plug to a 34 ADM plug and run a Haltech elite 750,

with ITB's in my TD cortina until I build my roller xflow, but also thinking of fitting a turbo barra to it. hmmm

Will the Ford map sensor measure boost? I know GM ones are available in 1, 2 and 3 bar but use a 0-5v output (incompatible). Ford ones are digital and use a frequency output.

Calling all guru's. Ok bringing this one back as I'm in need of some help. Got the car wired up and running BUT Iv had to run a jumper wire from the black earth wire on the tfi module on the dizzy to the block(earth). My manual shows this wire goes straight from the tfi to the ecu. Without the jumper wire I have no spark or injector pulse. I'm not sure if the ecu is supposed to earth out the wire and complete the tfi circuit or the ecu is waiting to see earth before she gives the all clear to run. Now I'm continplating leaving the jumper wire and fitting a switch(backyard immobiliser) but I don't want it to fail down the track.

So what I know is it's not the ecu as I've tried another.

I have 5v on black earth wire at tfi pin and at Ecu pin and I've checked all earths at the ecu. 

Not sure what occurs when a tfi normally shits itself, maybe it's the cause. I going to chase one up and try. Xf- E series the same? Time will tell.

if anyone has any questions about the conversion so far shoot me a pm. I do have a vid of it running but can't upload it. I'd like to start a thread in the project section but have shit internet reception(I use my phone 90% of the time) and can't work out how to upload pics and videos.

cheers for any help. This may even need to be moved over to the electrical section

The earth wire from dizzy goes to block.

Same on my XG.

Your looking at a schematic..... the connection is the block.

Can't draw a block on wiring diagram.

Make sure block earths to body and ecu earths to body..... simples....

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Im more than happy to run the wire to the block but my schematic shows no connection to a designated earth in this case the block. A connection to earth is normally shown as an upside down lined triangle. Black pin 16 on ecu is the designation and using resistance check shows this is the correct wire at the TFI. Before going EFI I had it going to the block with the MSD.

Tfi on crossy has 3 wires... on e series there are 5.

TFI wire for ground goes to ecu pin 16 on e series -EL ecu or pin 15 on crossy ecu.

So connect yours straight to ecu pin 16.

You need 2 more inputs for EL ecu....

You already have PIP, Spout,and ignition ground... to ecu.

Thats 3.

Now you need ignition coil negative to dizzy and Power to starter switch from dizzy.

Then the e series ecu has all its inputs.

That completes an earth cuircut for all.

This pic shows you all you need to know.65102acf4c0aac1c80366e316fa5703a.jpg

Thats an eec-IV wiring diagram... thats what your ecu is looking for.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Just on this, there are several pins on the ford ecU, from memory pin 20, 40 and 60.  These are required to be the signal earths for the sensors shown above.  The case is earthed back to the body.  They're easy to spot.  They're black.

This is important as the 5V reference is taken from the cu, and this is you earth to somewhere else you may get residual current which will play havoc with it.

Jacks picture is correct, make sure the 12V starter is just that not constant 12V - your timing won't advance otherwise.  This locks the starting timing to base timing (0 degrees for an el ecU and +10 for others)

Also the +5v on your black wire, it should be 0v is your earthing against the body.  

Hi guys, 

digging up an old topic here. 

I have posted in this topic above, and now I am getting ready to start getting bits together to convert the xf to EL injection when the new engine goes in. 

my main question is, because my car is EFi being a Ghia, do i need to modify or replace the harness running through the dash, or just replace the harness under the bonnet with an EL engine harness and change the pinout to suit the XF harness running through the car to the ECU? 

I am a nooby when it comes to all this stuff, so please bare with me. 

Do u have the electric style dash? 

I just used the original xflow sender units for coolant and oil pressure and ran them the same as factory.

The el ecu needs to correct sensors to work. Run them along side the original.