Mixalis

Turbo Diesel issues - non Ford

Hi guys

This one is non ford related but figured someone here might be able to point us in the right direction. Long story short, mum was driving the Subaru Outback turbo diesel 2010 model, went to go up a hill and bang. Black smoke everywhere behind the car, No power so pulled over. Roadside guy came and had a good look over it all and said inter cooler pipe from turbo to cooler had disintegrated on the turbo end (not blown off!) which didn't make any sense.

Got it dropped off at the repair center, they said pipe was fine but oil everywhere, no power, smoke so most likely blown turbo. Long story short they didn't want to touch it so cars back at ours

Pulled some of it apart, pipe is in fact cracked clean apart along where it goes into turbo, thinking hot oil after all that time made it frail until it disintegrated. The pic below shows the cooler end, those fins you see there had all slowly come apart from turbo end and the hose tore straight off from there. No hose clamp was found so still debatable if there is meant to be one there ?

Dad went to wreckers to get new one, brought our one with him but replacement they had had a flange on the turbo end?? Brought it back home but pretty sure after looking st it properly there was definitely no flange on turbo side so will be taking it back. In the meantime we've done a bodgy connection quickly from our turbo pipe to turbo so it's as sealed as we can get it for now (still builds boost so it's holding up) just for inspections sake. Now makes this weird screeching sound at 2000rpm and gets louder....

Have a look at the video below, out at the moment so will be more specific when I get back home, basically wanted to know if there are any ideas??? Doesn't sound like a blown turbo but we're pretty stump

Cheers guys!

https://vimeo.com/193022277831e061dba63894e5b290bec0e9358f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have pipes blowing off turbos a lot on Isuzu F-series with the 6HK1 engine. The crankcase breather oil gets into the rubber and it slips off, loses boost and throws a code. It sometimes makes that funny screech noise, like choking the neck on a balloon.

Thanks for the replies, apologies I never replied we worked it out the day after and I forgot I made this thread lol, it had that screamer pipe sound so we went thru the bolts on the turbo side, one was loose, nipped it up and noise was gone

Thanks for that tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk