Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Drew442

rear adjustable coilover

Is there a coilover available for the XE-AU coil rear end?

I can't seem to find anything. I'm thinking i'll have to send some heights and measurements to some manufacturers but surely I'm not the first on chasing this?

I'd like bump, rebound and height adjustment if it can be done. I don't know what spring rate is in the ballpark either.

Can anyone fill me in?

+1 on the vikings, Rob has them in the front of his ute. Baller setup.
Let us know how you go WRT the rears, I'll be looking for something for the back of the XF sedan in.. well prolly a year its a long way down the list.

Front and rear double adjustables Q...some crew chief you are. And again the Viking units are top notch but be looking @ $ 1600-$1800 front and rear.Viking is the same base company that started QA1 BTW.

You just need to change your top mount to eye (instead of pin). Not sure if Ryan posted in his thread, but it's a piece of piss to do. Once you have that done you just need compressed and fully extended length. Which you can do with your stock stuff. Carefull measurements at ride height with springs installed and distance to bump stops. Then full travel.

Once you have that you can pick a shock/Spring package from macdonalds bros. if you have access to corner scales and can give them corner weights they can provide you with a really accurate spring recommendation that will be bloody close. I would suggest that somewhere near 300lb RR and 275LR would be well in the ballpark for an xe/xf sedan.

Afco do some really nice shocks at a reasonable price. They have varied valving rates, or you can buy adjustables, like the Viking shocks. Double adjustable shocks are expensive but worth the money if you are starting with no real firm idea on valving. Ryan's car, which apparently handles really well, has 4 valving on the LR and 5 on th RR. that's a pretty common performance xf set up.

I have 175's rear and 350's front in mine and TBH prob needs 150's in the rear but on the hwy I just wind in compression and rebound and the car handles awesome. Well we sat it on the limiter in top gear and it never felt bad or unstable just squatted down and did it's thing.

As Ando said I have Afco coilovers in the rear of my car and it does handle outstanding. The rear just grips and with 235/60/14 road tyres the car is very grippy and very smooth. The ride is firm but not harsh at all.

Can get better shots if you require

18_zpsyr00yhd2.jpg

These are the top mounts I made, bolts straight into the factory location and was the only "mod" I had to do to the car to make the coilovers fit other than a little trimming to the diff which was pre-done for me

6_zpswg9f0unl.jpg

spoke to mcdonalds racing about the coil over in the rear issue - reckons he should have somthing that will work - would require converting to eye and running a bar with 2 bolts across the top thou - easy done really - going to go down in a few weeks to see what hes got that will work 

spoke to mcdonalds racing about the coil over in the rear issue - reckons he should have somthing that will work - would require converting to eye and running a bar with 2 bolts across the top thou - easy done really - going to go down in a few weeks to see what hes got that will work 

check out mine were done, loads easier and not mods to diff or top mounts needed

IMG_20160413_0739551_zpsqfcah3os.jpg

The bottom eyelets bolt straight upto the original shocker mount location with spacers each side to centre em.

The top have a bracket  around the eylet and a bolt going upwards.

check out mine were done, loads easier and not mods to diff or top mounts needed

The bottom eyelets bolt straight upto the original shocker mount location with spacers each side to centre em.

The top have a bracket  around the eylet and a bolt going upwards.

Awsome!

Where and how much? Gonna have to get me some!

The top have a bracket around the eylet and a bolt going upwards.

Thats a lot more load on the factory shock mounting position, do they supply new mounting brackets/pressings with the coilovers?

Also do the lower mounts clear the spring perches no worries?

Mounting them with the main body down low is probably fine for a street car. I inverted them so that the weight was carried by the body of the car and not swinging on the diff. Each to their own tho. You might be able to swap the ends around to do that on that Qa1 set up, provided there is adequate clearance up in the factory shock mount hole.

Thats a lot more load on the factory shock mounting position, do they supply new mounting brackets/pressings with the coilovers?

Also do the lower mounts clear the spring perches no worries?

They they clear the spring perch fine.

The top shocker towers have had a 6 mm plate welded across the top to stiffen it up.

These came off a burnout car (coilovers and towers) so they've had a hard life :D

Yeah I was thinking that the mounts would need to be strengthened in someway as the standard shock mounts are not made to take the entire load of the rear of the car like you would see with coil overs

They they clear the spring perch fine.

The top shocker towers have had a 6 mm plate welded across the top to stiffen it up.

These came off a burnout car (coilovers and towers) so they've had a hard life :D

That's a very good friend of mine's car. Jason Earl. Yes they have been stress tested. Jason ran a pretty respectable time in old 383AXE before he went skidding in it. Tuff that car.