Server maintenance Read more... ×
Free.51

Terrible squealing brakes

Hi guys the new brakes that i put on are now squealing badly, i put some brake pad paste on the back of the front pads but its still no good any ideas?, do i need to do rears too?.

Put coppercote on the edges of the pad backing steel. Where it touches the caliper and mounts.

Sorry if im sounding cryptic.

Also have you bedded the pads in?

If you drive with the window down can you isolate what end of the car is making noise.

Oh and any chance you have been through gravel or roadworks and got a stone stuck in them?

Yeah i bedded them in, havent driven on gravel

I ve used "crc brakes be quiet" but i on put it on the back of the caliper & pad, im in the middle of doing the rears now.

Pad surface could be glazed up, new pads do that sometimes.  It's worthwhile, roughing up the pads friction surface and also grinding a slight chamfer around the edges of each pads friction material.

Emery paper for the pad surface and a bench grinder to slightly chamfer edges.  Wear a respirator....... or hold your breath.   :wacko:   OK wear a respirator.

Cheers mate ill keep that in mind , just finished doing all 4 corners with that brake lube & its still squeaky is there any chance of the noise going away after a bit of driving or am i def gonna have to deglaze the pads?

Find a nice open car park or super quiet street and select reverse.  While reversing, apply moderate brake pressure using your left foot (not enough to stop the car).

Sometimes 3 or 4 passes of about 50 - 100m in reverse with some brake applied can loosen the material that's squeaking.

Often though, if the reverse method stops the squeak, it can return and then you end up having to slip the pads out and rough them up and chamfer anyway.

Any persistent squealing after that and you either rough up or lightly machine the rotors.

This is all assuming your pad fitment is correct and none of the slides / slide pins are stuck or binding.