Jafia

Engine running warmer than usual...

Ok, so I have a question about my  1994 NC Fairlaine Ghia, just today I have noticed that she is running hotter than normal, not overheating, but running warmer and with previous experiences with Alloy heads, I know to pay attention and figure out what is causing it, before it causes a bigger issue.

She's sitting between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark on the temp gauge when driving on the highways, usually she'll sit below the 1/4 mark with the air conditioner going, however, today I haven't dared to turn the air con con. The only other times she has got that warm, is at a particular point just outside of Melbourne with all the hills, however dropped back down as soon as I get over the hills.

I'm thinking that it is possibly a failing thermostat, so I have brought one and plan on installing it tomorrow. Just wanting to pick your brains, is this usually typical of a faulty thermostat? Usually when I've had one die, the engine gets so hot it pushes up towards the red. I'm hoping that's all it is because it's a cheap fix, my other concern is could it be something else?

I'm probably being a bit of worrier, but just trying to figure this issue out before it gets worse and causes significant damage...

Could be the tstat, radiator could need a flush, have you checked the fans are working? Running the actually on high will force the thermos fans on flat out so could actually help the situation

If the dizzy is failing (PIP sensor or TFI) and mucking around with the ignition timing, that'll make the Windsors run hot too.

Does it ping under 3/4 acceleration?

Does it get hot after a run,

then cool down if you sit with it idling?

Or does it get hot just while idling,

then cool down if you go for a drive?

*sigh* definitely not the thermostat, changed that today and made no difference whatsoever. Checked for leaks, can't find any.

New symptom: on the way home today, and it was a warm day, was doing 100km/h the temp slowly rose to the half way mark, creeped slightly over, so I pulled over for 20 mins or so ( I refuse to drive once it goes a little over half way with the alloy heads), after that, if I sat around 70km/h on the highway and she cooled down a little and she didn't get above about 1/4, after the sun went down I slowly increased her to 100km/h and she didn't heat up... as far as idling, wouldn't know around here there's not much idling, hell there isn't a set of traffic lights for a good 100km :P so it's mostly highway runs except for the dirt roads.

So it's definitely something in my cooling system that running amok, I'm guessing radiator or water pump *sigh*, so time to do the ring around of the local mechanics and get some quotes and at the same time make sure they don't attempt to screw me over at the same time :/ because sadly, that is something that I am not sure on how to do, and don't want to risk making things worse... I should irritate the mechanic and ask if I can watch, then I'd know how to do it :P Don't think that like that somehow :P

On a more positive note I have stopped the exhaust from rattling, the back muffler is completely ratshit, and have discovered if I can pick up something around then it shouldn't be too hard to fix, (with the help of my dad), figured that out today whilst looking up under her bum :)

If it were me, I'd take the radiator out, and get it cleaned out by a radiator shop.

That'd be the next easiest and cheapest thing to try.

Have you been running coolant in it, or just water?

Never use just water, always use coolant...

Just thought I'd update, spoke with mechanic this morning, common issue up here at the moment since the heat has started is clogged radiators thanks to all the dirt up here and mud from all the rains, she's booked in Wednesday for a radiator clean out, so hopefully things go as planned and I have my girl up and running at her normal cool self, will post again on Wednesday to let you all know the outcome :)

Thanks everyone for all you help, greatly appreciated :)

Problem Fixed :D I have my girl running back at her normal cool self.

Good thing I stuck to my guns, the mechanic tried telling me half way was still normal, however I told them for my car it's warm and best to pay attention to changes in the cooling system. They pulled out the radiator and thanks to all the mud and dirt up here, it was clogged up, with grass seeds, dirt and other crap. Dave you were spot on with the issue :)

$200 and 4 hours later and the radiators been cleaned, a new air filter and alternator belt has been installed. I took her for a nice long drive yesterday (200km) and she barely got above cool and sat below 1/4 just like she normally does, I can rest easy now and no longer stress... which also means now me and the other half can get back to work :)

If it's a reoccurring issue, might pay to make up a fly mesh insert to go in front of the radiator. A lot of trucks run them and you should see all the insects, grass seeds, bits of crap they collect that otherwise would have been sucked through the radiator.

If it's a reoccurring issue, might pay to make up a fly mesh insert to go in front of the radiator. A lot of trucks run them and you should see all the insects, grass seeds, bits of crap they collect that otherwise would have been sucked through the radiator.

Yep, that's the next thing I'm investing in :)

Dont use flyscreen.

Too fine will block airflow.

Try cheap black 25% shade cloth and cable ties.

Make sure ya get it over the bottom of the radiator intake as well.

I run one on me ute.

We have grasshoppers the size of seagulls. Hahaha

Will keep ya radiator nice and clean.

Anf the bugs get a trampoline..... of death!

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk