Falcman007

smoking after oil change!

Hi chaps, Well the ED ( 4.0 ) has had a head swap. Reconditioned to at that.

With the old oil it didnt smoke AT ALL. Saturday I did an oil change penrite PR 30 extra 10 ( 30-60 )

Took it for a drive no worrys. ( not that far ) Took it to work this morning and it seemed fine but was dark so maybe it smoked. Anyway, after work I started it to show a mate the stereo and after 3-4 mins it blew that much smoke it wasn't funny! Like fucking shitloads! Even missed! Kept blowing! booted it up the road and it cleared. still plenty of power and no smoke. Got it home, let it sit for a few hours started it for 10 mins and NOTHING. the oil was on ADD as I put a litre in the pajero. So the ED got 4 litres.

Funny to because the pajero didn't like it either! tick tick tick loud!

What the hell? I'm thinking another oil change...

It's like the valve stem seals are gone but they are new.

Penrite extra ten only applies to the at temp rating of the oil (not the W).

So it's actually 20W-60.

Did you use an engine oil flush? Have heard some people say it can cause smoking on the next few trips.

What was the old oil?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Only takes a teaspoon of oil to fill the street with smoke, looks like your low oil level was just from insufficient refill at service. Could your log manifold have puddled up a bit of oil in the bottom before or while you changed the head?

Cheers for the replies guys. The log comment got me thinking...I degreased and washed the engine with the throttle body fully exposed to degreaser and water. And the smoke was white. Not blue... hoping it was water and degreaser sitting in the log

So I started it after work let it idle for a few minutes then had to get the fuck out of there. Started again but no where near as bad. And this time it was blue. Oil. How? The head gas been reconditioned! New stem seals as well obviously so what the hell? I can't think of anything other that oil running on top of the pistons while the car sits for a few hours. What am I supposed to do! Everytime I get some so called qualified mechanic or rebuilder to touch my cars they either do no better that me or simply stuff it up. Spent a fortune on on the head, rebuild, cam chip etc and I get this shit. I can see why people say leave it stock! It's all money once you open it up

Have you gone back to the Head jobber.?? Could be a cracked valve guide, valve not seating correctly, stem seals missing, any number of things.

Maybe do a compression test.? Hard to diagnose over the Internet.

Have you gone back to the Head jobber.?? Could be a cracked valve guide, valve not seating correctly, stem seals missing, any number of things.

Maybe do a compression test.? Hard to diagnose over the Internet.

Yeh it is. It's a weird one.

i'm thinking PCV valve now as the hose is full of oil and possibly puddling in the lag manifold.

It has plenty of grunt, no noises and zero smoke even when giving it hell.

use 10-30 oil

60 is stupid heavy and so is 30, no idea why you listen to the supercheap/autobarn idiots or idiots on forums who say use thick oil because your engine is old, I use 0-30 in a fuckign 30 year old engine and it sings, no smoke, no oil drop and perfect oil pressure 

if you are in tassie then it gets cold there in the mornings and with 60 oil in the morning it's fucking insane, let alone 30 cold, it's like honey ... it's a good way to fuck up your engine ... I think ford recommended 25-40 or something, never heard of a manufacturer recommending 60 weight oil ... ever

Penrites' "60" is actually equivalent to 50.

I ran 30-70 in my utes old motor for a while, in Tassie, it definitely preferred it to the 20-50 it used to have.

The wagon now has "Classic Light" in it, viscosity of that is 20W-60 (penrite), hasn't had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That oil is wrong. Drop it and put 5.5L of something lighter in it. I run 10w-30 in the 3.9 and I've run 0w in crossflows before.

The issue sounds like PCV. Make sure the valve works and was plumbed correctly after the head was changed.

If you want good oil..

Penrite HPR 10

It's 10w-50... sohc 4.0's love it.... heaps of zinc.

My Xg takes 5L bang on the money inc filter.

Not cheap oil but fully synth is great stuff.

I agree 20 and 30 weight too much... 15 max...

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk