user272

Dakota Digital speed interface

I thought I'd put up a post about this in case anyone else has done similar dash/trans conversions and is looking to get their speedo working again.

After 2 years of driving the XF with no speedometer after the TH400 gear box installation I decided it was probably a good idea to get it sorted out.

I spoke to a company in Heidelberg who were very unwilling to give any information and told me that I was going to have to leave the car with them for at least 2 days with no specified cost so I basically thought these guys can get fucked and then left (Last time i left the car with someone to get the diff worked on I got it back as a two speed, hence the TH400 change over leaving me without a speedometer).

I did some research and ended up buying a Dakota Digital SGI5 -E to change the sine wave from the gear box's VR type sensor to match the square wave of the XF dash, once set up the calibration was very easy just using my GPS and adjusting the units PPM to suit. The unit was small enough to tuck in underneath the XF's cassette holder compartment out of site, The dash now operates like nothing was ever changed and I no longer have to carry a GPS at all times.

The unit cost $200 from Hotrod Hardware but is well worth it in my opinion as it both modifies and re calibrates the signal to suit your application.

A big thanks to Antonio and Michael at Autobarn Epping for helping me out with the technical bits.

i think thats the one BGDAV has in the XE, took a bit of mucking around to set right, needed to google which outputs to use and then a matter of dialing it in.

works fine with the GM trans sender also..

Yeah the guy I dealt with told me to use output 3 which is AC but the XF needed DC, I cant remember if we went output 4 or 5 in the end but you just have to see which is closest and then calibrate from there.

kinda had to do the drive by seat of your pants kinda thing - i made it be about 20-30k out was the closet i could get it to read then manually adjusted it with the buttons now its dead on - great bit of kit