CHESTNUTXE

RECO2 CLEVO

The machine shop says that block needs an 060 bore and new pistons so um errrr well forget that ,so im going to use the std bore block i picked up last week,i just pulled it down and it is in very good cond,so i will get it honed and new welsh plugs fitted,and fresh rings on std size pistons.WP_20161031_16_39_07_Pro_zpsamkhqfty.jpg

in the states they love boring the clevo out to 060 ,from the research ive done they dont run hot and one guy even runs a serious engine at the drags with a 060 he said as long as you get it sonic tested you should be fine with 060,at the machine shop there was 1 clevo block there that had 8 sleeves in it,he wanted $1000 for it,is that the norm for a fully sleeved block ? does it make them even stronger ?

Really depends on the quality of the work. I've heard some complaints about hot running on some sleeved blocks but that could be due to a poor interference fit or surface finish between sleeve and block (ie poor heat transfer to the parent bore) Certainly a sleeve would give a stronger bore as the material used in the sleeve would be of more consistent quality than that of a large lump of cast block. $1000 is not unreasonable for a sleeved and machined block as I remember at least a decade ago, it was industry norm to supply, fit and machine a sleeve at $100 a pot.

i have found another one at 030 that i could bring out to o4o because i already have the pistons on the rods and hours of labour cleaning the ring slots,the machine shop wants $300 to bore it to 060 with a hone,then i will need some cam bearings and 060 pistons at around $300 plus rings $70,so after spending $750 you can see why im looking for another way out of this,all the virgin block needs is a hone and a set of rings and some cam bearings,around $300,or buy the 030 block for $100 and take it out to 040 and the rest of it for approx $400 ? or just wait until a 040 block comes up for sale ?

Just so you know what you're up against, I got my 302 already (badly) built up as an unfinished project for $800. It needed stripping, cleaning and re-assembly but despite this, even if it was just a pile of new parts and a machined block, it would still have been worthwhile. I don't know how much you'd get for a fully assembled 302 but I'd seriously question the money you'd get back vs time and effort you're putting in. If it's for experience and/or a hobby then great, I can understand that totally. Just don't be too disappointed with the lack of interest compared to someone offering a 351.

Even a 302 is very popular around here because many have f trucks that pull horse floats ect ect,,,,and finding anything around here is near impossible,the last one i did i got$2000 for it and its no different to what i have done this time,but im targeting a market like if some one wants a complete replacement for there xa xb fairmont ect or f truck it will come with a rebuilt holley and ready to start,here is a picture of the last one.2014-10-28135701_zps406b1a7d.jpg

Even a 302 is very popular around here because many have f trucks that pull horse floats ect ect,,,,and finding anything around here is near impossible,the last one i did i got$2000 for it and its no different to what i have done this time,but im targeting a market like if some one wants a complete replacement for there xa xb fairmont ect or f truck it will come with a rebuilt holley and ready to start,here is a picture of the last one.2014-10-28135701_zps406b1a7d.jpg

How did the header paint stand up, did you see.??

302 in an F-truck? Would be way underpowered and overworked in my books, but each to their own I guess. Mine was originally slated to go into one but he scrapped that idea for whatever reason. 2 grand is a good return on your work, you did well there. A healthy 351 needs top loader/4-pin 28 lsd diff to handle the extra berries. That all costs big, so I can see the appeal of a 302 in a car... an easy, cheap upgrade from a 6 that can use the same drivetrain.

302 in an F-truck? Would be way underpowered and overworked in my books, but each to their own I guess. Mine was originally slated to go into one but he scrapped that idea for whatever reason. 2 grand is a good return on your work, you did well there. A healthy 351 needs top loader/4-pin 28 lsd diff to handle the extra berries. That all costs big, so I can see the appeal of a 302 in a car... an easy, cheap upgrade from a 6 that can use the same drivetrain.

i've driven a Healthy 302 clevo 4 speed in a LWB F250, went very well.. gearing in the diff whatever it is probably helped a lot.

My stock ish 351 ran a 6cyl single rail and 2.92 25spline lsd.. were fine for 80,000km odd i had it(blew up 3 used single rails in a month before getting one rebuilt)

i reckon a 302 with decent cam would go well with a 3.45 diff and T5 **(comparable to a stock 4.0 auto EF falcon maybe)

Stacks of f trucks were made with 302 clevelands,they even came with 250 inline 6's,the cleveland design produces very good torque weather it be a 351 or 302,in the states they were even fitted with a 289w in the early bronco's,i would rather a fresh 302 cleveland than a 302w in a f truck.

i reckon a 302 with decent cam would go well with a 3.45 diff and T5 **(comparable to a stock 4.0 auto EF falcon maybe)

In my experience with my own 302, it's just starting to get into its stride right where the stock valvetrain is struggling to cope. So to take advantage of this aspect, I'd have to run better pushrods, valvesprings and probably roller rockers to give it the upper rpm it deserves, say 6500. By then, a stock flywheel is way past its safe limits and your bottom end really needs to be balanced to live a decent life. All this adds up to easily a grand and a half, which you wouldn't need to spend to get the same herbs from a (lazy) 351 with stock everything except cam, carb, etc. Seeing as all F-trucks use the same drivetrain, with the extra torque of a 351 you don't have the dilemma of needing to upgrade it like on a Falcon. To me it would be false economy to run a 302C in a truck. Sure like you say, it would go ok but a 351 would be worlds better.

ok lets get back to the basic home hot-rodder rebuild i picked up the heads and manifold ect from the bath and im stoked they are all clean and ready for painting,my manifold is under the one you see there.WP_20161103_08_15_11_Pro_zps0o6izpu1.jpg