Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

b/w 2.92 gears

Pretty sure 3.27 are like a 2.77 where the housing is machined differently and other ratios don't fit them, you should be able to get hold of a e series diff that's 3.08:1 and that's pretty close to 2.92 as 3.08 was the standard ratio for 6 cyl auto e series sedans

I have an entire 2.92 open centre diff out of an ED if you interested, its been sitting in my shed for years. I have never used it or opened it so cant tell you the condition of it. It has a tag on it as well(thats why I believe its 2.92)

I will check the diff tonight to confirm

ok thanks wagoon,thom why would it be different in what way ? the LSD centre is actualy out of a 3.23 diff .Then i put the 3.27 gears on it,down at the local wreckers i can get a 3.08 ea diff for $40 ,but it aint pretty.

im just gunna put the gears on my centre,should be straight forward,i really want an original xe 351 auto diff like what came in the police option chaser or LTD fitted with a 351c should be 2.77 and 28 spline axles,they are very rare,plenty of 302 diffs with the 2.92 gears next best option i suppose,there is a thread on these diffs in xfalcon i have seen b4,a 4 speed 351 xe would have had the 2.92 like in a esp,but auto's seem to get a 2.77 ,if anyone has a factory 351 auto xe or GL chaser type please tell us your diff if its still original .

I've put 3.27s on a 2.92 centre, running them right now. Doing the same as you chestnut, going back to 2.92s eventually.

It must be the early diffs that are machined differently, I have here a 3.27 housing that I can't change ratios because it is machined similar to a 2.77 housing to compensate for a thicker crown wheel it's out of an xc, I wish I'd figured that out before I narrowed it

The center carrier bearings are offset to the passenger? (Not 100% sure it was 10 years ago when i last had the cover off that diff) Side of the housing as the crown wheel was thicker like a 2.77 crown wheel

Well turns out that my 2 ED diff were not what I thought they were. One turned out to be 3.08 and the other 3.27 but I could have sworn I bought a 2.92 and 3.23 diff. Sorry Chestnutxe I honestly thought I had a 2.92 diff