dizzy616

diy gas conversion?

hey guys. i was just wondering is it safe to do a gas conversion your self? i have the full working running gas setup in my xe. i was wondering if it is safe to pull off bit by bit and just copy it all as i go? of course ill be getting new hoses. and ill be putting pressure into the lines. and spraying them with a bit of soapy water and see if it bubbles.

also if you guys reckon its safe. if i can i have a go at doing this.

my mate said that i should tune it into the petrol set up?

or should i advance the timing a bit? and how much should it be advanced to?

ive came up with bit of a issue. like people have quoted me $2000-2500.

if it really should cost that much id much prefer to have a go my self. or simply save up and buy another car with gas all ready installed.

what do you guys reckon?

Its my belief that Gas instalers are pricey. When you are supplying your own stuff to. I would install what you can and let them finish it like thunderbolt said.

I think the rebate has made the whole area a bit grey these days.

Fitting a gas system when not qualified to do so is illegal. Mounting the tank, sufficient bracing, placement of the gas line(s), ventilation of filler hoses and proper matching of gas converter to mixer and engine are all things that need proper training and experience.

As the saying goes: if it was easy it wouldn't be a trade. If you can get your licensed fitter to sign off on your work, then that's up to him, but I would be reluctant if I was the one signing off on the work.

Fitting a gas system when not qualified to do so is illegal. Mounting the tank, sufficient bracing, placement of the gas line(s), ventilation of filler hoses and proper matching of gas converter to mixer and engine are all things that need proper training and experience.

As the saying goes: if it was easy it wouldn't be a trade. If you can get your licensed fitter to sign off on your work, then that's up to him, but I would be reluctant if I was the one signing off on the work.

you are a gas fitter aren't ya :D 

ohwell i think im buying another car with gas installed probably tomorrow. haha another car in the driveway. hopefully this ute is allright because fuck im revved up for another ute

Actually, no.I am a mechanic, but I would like to get my ticket one day. In the meantime I'll have to pay for it to be done, just like any other mug.

still ya like to keep the $$$ in ya industry 

MMMmmm....tension is building here! So it's illegal to do your own conversions. It's like this cos in the past shonky pricks would "mount" gas cylinders loose in the back seat or as I can remember half a suburb would be cleared because some douche in the taxi industry had done similar quality work to a cab - and it either leaked or exploded. The laws are framed to protect us from the lowest common denominators who really have no clue.

Prior to 1991 anyone could do it and the (Victorian) law states that vehicles with systems installed before 1991 do not require a compliance plate. Source  : VICROADS. So, technicaly you could DIY an most x-series vehicles with equipment available at that time (IMPCO stuff for example Model L convertor and CA-200/225 mixer) and pass it off as an old install. No dodgier than half the guys in the LPG industry IMHO. It's a fucking money tree and they're gonna milk if for as much as and for as long as they can. Drawn like scumbags to a flame - especially when government cash has been splashed about as freely it has. The real value of the installs will be known when government cash dries up - driving half the pricks to the wall. 

IMHO, fitting vapour type LPG systems is not actually rocket science. Care is required though - LPG is something that requires a lot of respect because, when done wrong the results can be catastrophic. The law to deserves respect because it's all we got really, that prevents mayhem....so put those two things together and one shouldn't really attempt DIY installs...

However, theoretically...if I DIY'ed an LPG system with a certified cylinder, correct lock offs, new service lines routed correctly according to the Australian standard (which I have, incidentally) used an IMPCO 225 mixer with a converter to suit (a common choice on cars of ~4 litre capacity) and leak checked all lines until I was satisfied gas leaks were not present - apart from being illegal, what is inherently unsafe about such a set-up?

Either way if you fit it or you get someone to fit the gas system it requires a check by a licenced gas mechanic,so i dont see the problem.They check for leaks,they check to make sure the tank is in date,check condition of all gas components,check if the sheild is fitted around the tank etc.

still ya like to keep the $$$ in ya industry

"my" industry isn't just your local shitbag service station or theiving pricks at the nearest dealership. My industry is also in the mines, defence forces, fixing your fire engines and ambulances, keeping farm equipment going, and in my case, fixing the machinery and trucks that keep your power on. It's even much more than that.

So don't go lumping us all into a narrow field of shonks and ripoffs just because it's all you've seen of our trade.

We're a bit like doctors, except they don't bring out a brand new, completely different human body every 3-4 years. All this and we're paid less than the people that drive them for a living.

As for the ridiculous cost of LPG conversion, the Howard Government slapped a $2000 rebate on gas conversions not to help you out, but to get more consumers on board so they could then tax it just as petrol and diesel have been for decades. And guess what? Now we're paying more for LPG (in comparison to petrol) than before this rebate came along. I can remember LPG being around 30% of the petrol price, now it's closer to 50-60%. And once the rebate came in, overnight a $1500 conversion became $3500, surprise surprise. Everyone raves about the pink bat "scandal" but nobody remembers this scam of a setup. The rebate should have been conditional on the conversion price being fixed or capped, not having the "market sorting itself out" which translates to "charging whatever they fucking like". We're still living with the legacy of that today.

I heard all sorts of shitty excuses for jacking up the price too, like "we can't get hold of any cylinders, they're in too much demand" (like APA couldn't ramp up production if they wanted to).

I do agree with the comment that this particular "industry" is keeping the money to itself, but just don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

"my" industry isn't just your local shitbag service station or theiving pricks at the nearest dealership. My industry is also in the mines, defence forces, fixing your fire engines and ambulances, keeping farm equipment going, and in my case, fixing the machinery and trucks that keep your power on. It's even much more than that.

So don't go lumping us all into a narrow field of shonks and ripoffs just because it's all you've seen of our trade.

We're a bit like doctors, except they don't bring out a brand new, completely different human body every 3-4 years. All this and we're paid less than the people that drive them for a living.

As for the ridiculous cost of LPG conversion, the Howard Government slapped a $2000 rebate on gas conversions not to help you out, but to get more consumers on board so they could then tax it just as petrol and diesel have been for decades. And guess what? Now we're paying more for LPG (in comparison to petrol) than before this rebate came along. I can remember LPG being around 30% of the petrol price, now it's closer to 50-60%. And once the rebate came in, overnight a $1500 conversion became $3500, surprise surprise. Everyone raves about the pink bat "scandal" but nobody remembers this scam of a setup. The rebate should have been conditional on the conversion price being fixed or capped, not having the "market sorting itself out" which translates to "charging whatever they fucking like". We're still living with the legacy of that today.

I heard all sorts of shitty excuses for jacking up the price too, like "we can't get hold of any cylinders, they're in too much demand" (like APA couldn't ramp up production if they wanted to).

I do agree with the comment that this particular "industry" is keeping the money to itself, but just don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Heyyy bro,dont get your nickers in a twist.I'm a mechanic aswell,let the people talk crap about the trade.It's abit like the boy who cried wolf,in the end when the boy needed help no one helped lol.

i am a gas fitter and if you have to ask then the answer is no.........there are many standard to adhere to every 300mm lines need to be fastern and anchored and keeped 150mm from all heat sources just for a starters

the ute i bought today has a diy gas conversion on it and the gas fitter marked it off. it seems like it can be done. one of the cleanest conversions i seen compared to my old ute which was done professionally and had lines going everywhere.

the gas conversion joint still got paid in the end for the compliance plate

what i did was retrofit the entire system, and refer to aus standard #something.

then, the car was taken into a gas shop, checked, complied and certified.

so, from memory the rules are thus:

1. tank securely mounted in non-passenger compartment (fully airtight from environment - that's why they have the pipes routed to exterior)

2. stamped, in date tank

3. lockoffs at the tank and engine bay

4. double insulated copper line of flexi hose (application specific), rules apply for routing and clamping.

5. electronic safety switch for lockoff control

6. other bits i probably left off

7. and obviously no leaks anywhere

seriously, it's not hard. but don't think it's something you can have a go of without doing research and testing it after.

personally i would leave the gas shop to fit the lines because its easier for them to check it if they are fitting the lines them self

Agree with this. I work with hose everyday and your gas hose has a wire braid in it. I see every day on machines with wire braided hose how easy it us for them to rub through on things. At least if they do it its on there head if something goes wrong.

I fitted my own conversion and had it inspected and approved by my local Gas Fitter. However I was in the Aircraft industry and work with oxygen and electrical systems!

I basically copied the donor car but replaced the lines with flexible type. There were a few hassles but I complied to the fitters requirements and it passed.

In the end the install was neater than any of the other professional ones I have paid for before because I could afford the time to design a tidy install instead.