Kiwi-E

EL falcoon not starting

Hey everyone

Brought a thrasher el coon with some mates a while back. Parked it up for a week that had a lot of rain and when we went back to start it ,it packed a sad and wouldn't fire up. Messed around with it for ages and managed to get it running for maybe a minute at one point but as soon as you tried to give it a rev it snuffed out.

It had poor spark so we replaced the old rooted dissy cap.

Also Tried another coil and replaced the fuel filter. 

At this point during cranking it would go through phases of trying to start and then nothing. Ended up pulling a plug and saw that the spark was pretty intermediate and non existent when it wasn't firing so we banged in another second hand dissy thinking that the hall effect sensor might be playing up.

After that it was firing pretty constantly but still not quite starting...

-has injector pulse

-has spark (looks ok now, although if the plugs are wet it jumps a bit funny. might want the gaps closed up a bit?)

-don't think its shitty SMARTLOCK, main interior light goes and i don't think the fuse is blown. (will double check)

So....... thinking the following

-Fuel pumps pumping but not up to required pressure, fuel pressure regulator?

-Timings out and/or some plug leads mixed up  (will double check this soon)

-Can the temp sensor play up on these and upset the fuel mixture etc to the point it wont start?

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Cheers Tom

If all else fails, might have too drop a reliable crossy in ;)

I have an old EL falcoon  with a dead fuel pump so every time i want to move it (just so i can mow the grass around it) i spray that cheap as 

export degreaser  straight down the throttle body whilst i sit in the engine bay and my wife drives it. 

Whilst doing this the engine revs up like it would normally so am able to select gear and move it.

Anyway....

I was thinking,,,, if you did this to and found you could rev the car up that would almost determin that the fuel pressure reg

is not working???

Im sure there is a simpler method of testing the fuel pressure reg but im just thinking out loud here. 

Take the dizzy cap off and have someone crank it over to see if the dizzy is spinning with the engine turning, if it's not you'll have to replace the oil pump shaft as the gears have been eaten away. Common problem when they've had an aftermarket dizzy fitted as they use a hardened gear as opposed to a factory one

Cheers McQueen. We tried tipping gas down it but that was when it had really poor spark. Might give that another go now and see if it gets running.

Hey 351XD. Will check that and also the timing/ firing order. May have it a tooth out. The old distributer gear looked fine when i pulled it out (can't see cam gear tho). Its sparking and oil light goes out when cranking so i presume the dissys driving. Will check none the less.

Cheers mate

So my mate had a crack at starting it tonight and reckons its bloody close to going but just wont quite catch on..... Fingers crossed its just a couple of plug leads mixed up now