Majorjob

Front disk brake conversion on a XP Falcon

Hi again,

Has anyone installed disk brakes on the front of a Xp falcon from a later model falcon?

If so, what is the recommended model to use and what is involved.

Any information would be great!

Cheers.

I used xf spindles, rotors and calipers on the woody. Fishop Falcons (John Ganeo - top bloke) sells a tapered insert to adapt the smaller tie rod end to the bigger one on the xf. By far the cheapest solution, BUT alas with all CHEAP solutions there is a down side.

Steering is not as nice and if you run 8" rims and low profile tyres the bump steer is not very nice. It's driveable and for a cruiser like my woody I accept it. If you want to turn like a Tarmac terror, don't go with this way.

If you can find some XP falcon disc brake stub axles (aka rocking horse poo) you can fit XT-XR (ZC-ZD) solid rotors straight onto those spindles. This gives you modern 5 stud PCD and decent brakes. I went this way for the delivery and I got a set of slotted and dimple drilled rotors and a nice soft set of pads. This method gives correct factory steering geometry and the car will steer, well as good as an early falcon can steer.

I can't comment as to the effectiveness of the XT system as I'm no where near getting the delivery done (too many projects) but if they were good enough to pull up a big heavy ZD, then they should be more than adequate for the Xp. Obviously if you are doing street sprints of lots of repeat heavy brake applications neither of the above 2 will be adequate.

If you after serious stopping then u need to look at some of the US mustang kits or RRS, Hoppers Stoppers kits. You really do get what u pay for and need to select the right horse for the course. Hope that helps.