1968utebuild

Engine conversion

Hi guys, I am currently in the process of stripping down my 1968 xt falcon ute to get panel work, respray etc. now at the moment it has the straight 6 with 3 on the tree manual. Looking at installing a 302 Windsor with c4 auto trans. Have never done this kind of major conversion before so just wanted to see if anyone had and what to expect. Eg trans linkages, other linkages fouling on items, will standard diff handle power. Any advice is muchly appreciated

Not sure at this stage, hoping for floor mount t bar, would be cool I reckon. Don't have any of the linkages for the c4 as I have been given it and the 302 from a friend out of a zc fairlane. So I guess once I find somewhere to get them I could get whatever

c4 shifter can be had quite cheap,linkage rod too,tailshaft should fit straight in,i had a xt ute with a 302 cleveland,c4 and big drum brake xa 9 inch 3.00.1 diff,sounds like a good project

Oh nice! Great to know the parts are cheap and available. I will eventually put a decent diff in but was hoping the current one would do the job just get it on the road cruising. This is my first major project car and being a younger fella on a budget just wanted to make sure I wasn't jumping in too deep haha

G'day mate. Should be a nice easy job. Take your time, and be methodical when you do it.  Write a list of things on the wall of the shed, as you go.

1. Check linkages

2. rear trans mount,

3. Dont forget engine oil...... etc etc.

In case you get side tracked, or stop for a week or two.  XR/XT came out with V8's, so parts are available. If your 6 cyl bits don't fit, you should be able to find a ZC or XW with similar parts, or maybe even a V8 XT wagon with no driveline. Grab all the wiring loom and linkages out of that. 

oooooh........ and we love photos.  :D