Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SLO247

XG handbrake cable with XG diff in XF Ute

Anybody used this combination?

I've just fitted this today and the passenger side cable is too short to reach.

Would like to know if anybody has done it before I have another look.

Did you use the XG counter lever under car that pulls cable in or the original xf one cause they are different.

I had to change over the whole lot when I put a e-series diff in cause same problem.

From memory I used the original lever and wouldn't work so used e-series and no problem.

Long ago when I did that and memory is really fading. 

i used EB wagon diff and handbrake cable in XF ute using the full cable with possibly the lever doover thingy.. cant remember there being any issues.
i would have assumed the XG cable would be the same as the EB wagon..
the front cable changed lenth at some point possily.. XD\XE to XF maybe or to E series.. might be part of the remedy

I've crawled under and had another look.

First thing is the XG arm looks identical to the XF one.

I've used the XG one anyway, I can't separate it from the cable.

It has what looks like a dome bolt head on it. Looks to be a separate piece but I can't see a thread. If I can get it off I'll try the cable in one of the other holes which looks like it might give enough length.

Any help? The XF one just has a nut.

Sorry dude I couldn't much help. There was something different about it or the way it comes together cause they in three pieces, that for the life of me I can't remember. 

How short is it?

It's not the right way, and i still have to fix mine as i doubt it will hold on a steep hill, but i had the same issue with my sedan and i've at the moment got the adjustment part from the xf on the system too to get the extra length. It's a bit too long though, as the umbrella is very light. Still holds, though as i said i haven't tested it on any sort of substantial slope....

I did the same thing today. Fitted the extra adjuster and moved it over one hole. Works well now, plenty of adjustment left to tighten it up more if needed.

Remember there's still the other adjuster on the driver's side if you need it shorter. The handle did feel light but it seems good.

Just a bit of an update as to why the xg passenger side cable doesn't fit up nicely to the xf when doing this conversion. 

The very forward most cable mounting bracket on the passenger side is 45mm further forward on the xf compared to xg. This means the cable has to travel further to clamp into the mount.  If you mount the xg cable in the xf clamp you will see that the cable doesn't runs on an angle over to the primary lever - not straight like the xg. 

Next difference is the mounting pivot point for the primary lever. Yes the lever is very similar lever for xf and xg but the mounting point for the pivot is further out on the xg than xf. Again this means that the cable has further to travel to hook up. 

Nkw you could stuff around and move the mounting clamp further back and also weld in the xg pivot bracket, but really it's way easier just to install the xf primary lever and longer adjuster as the others have done above.