Sign in to follow this  
GreekStallion

Au falcon running rough

Hi all,

I've got a AU XR6 VCT which is running rough on ide and driving. I'm not the most mechanically minded, so i'll try explain the best I can.

Cold idle, it is very rough, sometimes rough enough that you can feel it in the drivers seat. When it warms up, its a lot better. There is a sucking sound coming somewhere underneath the throttle body when I switch ignition off. But I cant be sure as it could be the throttle body itself. There also seems to be a sort of dripping sound when you sit in the car (sort of like a slow tap leak on a metal sink)

Shifting into either Drive or Reverse, the engine runs rougher than Park or Netutral, especially at low speeds (<5kmh). While driving, it feel like the torque comes and goes in phases. If I raise the revs to ~1500, it will start poping every few seconds through the exhaust, and the popping will occur more often the more I push the motor.

I am fairly certain there is a vacuum leak, but I havent yet managed to find it. I've used carby cleaner on the top of all the inlet pipes to try and test the gasket. I have also done an ECU fuel trim reset, which as far as I can tell, is only making it chug more fuel than usual. I have tested the resistances between leads through the common coil pack, and all seem to be normal. The car has had a full exhaust system done (inc extractors and hi-flow cat) a few days ago. Currently running 3 week old Mobil 98.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Nick

what was the outcome to problem as my xg is now doing similar   so I have to start looking for ideas   besides a box of matchers other suggestions welcomed