Sign in to follow this  
rocklord

Cam Selection for AU Engine

First some background info.

I live in the United States, so my access to parts is limited to eBay, email, web forums, and my pocketbook.  Also, sellers willing to ship to the US.

I have in my possession an AU engine without an ECU/wiring harness.  My plan is to install it in my 1965 Mustang with AC, a T-5, 8-inch rearend/3.55LSD, Pacemaker 4499, and 2.5" exhaust.  My Mustang will be used for weekend cruising and car shows.  Along with not having an ECU, I have fitment issues with the BBM ( have to notch the shock tower).  Not wanting to butcher the Mustang, I've decided to swap out the stock EFI/BBM and go with an Aussiespeed 4BBl manifold with carby or TBI.  For ignition, I may use either a recurved dizzy or EDIS with Megasquirt/Megajolt.

Which brings me back to topic, cam selection.  I'm looking at purchasing either a Crow 2232522 or 2232549.  Keeping in mind what I'm using my car for, which cam would be better?  A little lope won't bother me.  My desire is to have a little more power than stock, and to surprise the guys with 289 HiPo V8s.  Would I be better off with a cam from another maker like CamTech?

Thanks for your input.

post-1604-0-16694000-1474059039_thumb.jpg

First up, nice combo, will be something different to the cookie-cutter resto that everyone does to vintage Mustangs. You are lucky if you can run a carb on a late model engine like that. In Aus, you must run all associated emissions gear that the engine came out with: ie injection, cats, etc.<br /><br />Thom is the most knowledgeable guy on here as far as anything E-series goes. So far from what I've learnt, the best combo using factory parts is AU short motor, EF head and EA cam. This will get you about 220 hp. AU heads actually have smaller ports and the rocker gear is incompatible with earlier types. The cams you selected I don't know about either, but I know that the stock rockers are a little weak for performance use. 0.450" lift is what I remember the practical limit to be, and valve springs can't be too strong otherwise you'll break stuff.<br />

I just fitted an MSD Atomik TBI system to a 250 2v pre-crossflow engine in a 67 mustang. Check it out on my Facebook business page, Tonys Metal and speed, for photos and video of the package.

It was a great kit and mated to the aussiespeed 4 barrel manifold it impressed me. Refreshing to see different engines being fitted to stangs.

I'd go with the 549 with the above combo. It would be sweet as. Use a pre au (not ef) dizzy to trigger an MSD and control the timing thru the atomik system.

If you wanted to go carby (which would be easier and cheaper) you could use the 549 cam, 600dp QFT carb on the Aussie speed manifold, pre au dizzy (not ef) to trigger an MSD 6al2 programmble ignition with a SS blaster coil. Seems as tho your name allowed to do most things in the states so this would be the most cost effective and bang for buck combo. For economy you could even use the map sensor input to trim timing on lean cruise.

The price of the atomik kit would stop me from using it, that and the fact that the carby version would be simpler, and make the same power, if not more.

What those guys said, if you offset the engine slightly you can get a bbm on these in a Mustang

Here's a pic for reference

d78ed94a92bf781355c0722e25ba7651.jpg

82f8e20056eda37c2645defbbea56615.jpg

But that does then require an efi setup to run, they may be hard to get hold of for you but an ea-el (excluding ef as they had coil packs) dizzy using a map sensor and MSD 6al digital (or equivalent) will get you a programmable timing curve, do you have to run a cat on this or can you get away without?

Btw just my personal preference I'd steer away from crow cams nothing wrong with quality I've just never really liked their profiles

If you can get hold of an e series head you have a much wider cam selection and a handy bump in compression

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I've read Thom's writeup for the OHC six and it is very good. 

Thom, in my part of the US I don't have to worry about installing a cat on my 65 Mustang.  I only have to meet the emission standards of the vehicle year (we're not all like California).

What would be the casting code for an EF head if I was able to find one?  94A or 95A?  Thom's writeup states that the AU short block with an EF head would yield a 10+CR. 

Is this combo OK for a street engine running premium gasoline?  If not, would an aftermarket cam be better than an EA cam in reducing the dynamic CR?

Since my Mustang won't be a daily driver, I'm not concerned with feeding it premium.

I have a 6 cylinder with around 10.5CR and I use fuel straight from the pump, branded as 98 premium. My engine is the type(1980's 6 cylinder) before yours but there is no difference in fuel requirement between the 2 engines.