xbcool

engine number

gday trendsetters,

I've recently built a windsor based engine with clevo heads for the xa ,all went well with the build and it runs and drive awsome.

now for the next problem in a long line of problems, I used a dart block for the build and they come without an engine number.

I believe I'm going to need to see an engineer about this ,I've been and spoken to the rta ( service nsw for the kiddies) and it's like banging ya head against a brick wall.

any one had to go through this process

thanks in advance

steve

Is it going over the rta pits?

Being serious here, do you really need one? It's only required for a blue slip. You could just stamp the chassis number then it's a matching numbers car, it's not like your restamping an old block.

doesnt need to go over the pits ,its a regoed car just an engine change.

I never thought about using the chassis number ,I'll ask the engineer.

I could use the old engines number but then will run into the same problem when it goes into another car

yep I'm happy to stamp it myself but I need some buearocratic dick to tell me what the number is and when they want it.

and what size numbers and letter to use.

steve

Sorry I can't help as in the Territory, I asked at MVR here about my AU Windsor block in my XD, the only question I got asked by the people was "is it stolen?"

I'm not sure whether what to do, as I said to them no it isn't, but the engine number is from an AU, chassis is XD....they said to me what's the issue??? Fark knows.

I just worry I'll import the car and roll up and they will have changed their minds...being the Territory and all.

All the person does is shine a torch on the number and check it against the paperwork,they dont poke-sand-rub-grind or anything,it took me 10 minutes and it was all done,that was in QLD.

I remember a story from the late 80's when a guy went to register a genuine GTXB sedan after spending good money on a nice paint job the RTA at five dock put acid on the chassis number to make sure it wasnt tamperd with.

If you want to do it legit could it not be done by the police? When a car gets stolen and the thieves grind off the engine number the police stamp a new number on the engine block which is then the new ID number for the engine. I know this cause I bought a cleveland engine from a bloke that had his XA GT stolen then recovered. The engine I bought had a police number stamped into in due to old number being ground off, it was all legit and checked with the transport department in my state.

i'll check in to the police thing ,I'm not getting much joy anywhere else ( stinking government departments)

steve

Don't over think it.

Just stamp it with the matching number, with a prefix at the end, like JG41xxxxxKD (or W) (D for Dart block or W for Windsor)

That's all that's needed.

The stamping letters/numbers are 6 or 8mm from memory.

If there's any doubt, take a tracing paper rubbing of the current engine no, and go to an industrial supplies place, to match up the correct size.