Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

SOMETHING WEIRD HAPPEND

After chopping the bump-stops that were riding on the suspension arm,and taking the car for a few drives i noticed it was starting to run rough-so i pulled the plugs and yep all blacked up,couldnt work out why ,last tune was ok then i looked into the carby while it was running and saw dripping from the secondaries into the booster,so i figured that by changing the height of suspension had made the float level a bit different from last it was done with the different height level,so i adjusted down the float and seems all good now,i wouldnt have thought that such a small change would have done this and it was on left hand booster,same side as i damaged the guard .

I would think that's a coincidence myself, I come across it a lot in my line of work. You have multiple problems occurring at once and your brain immediately thinks they're related. Sometimes, shit just happens all at once. One booster leaking and the other not tells me that you might have a blocked air bleed or emulsion hole, or it's just the usual Holley manufacturing tolerances. If it was float level alone, both boosters should be leaking (unless the car is on a sideways slope).

If your boosters are anywhere near dripping at idle, your floats are too high. I like to open the throttle to the end of the transfer just when the boosters start flowing, and watch what the fuel is doing. If it's coming out in blobs or drips, it's probably coming out too soon (float too high). I wind the float way down and listen for a stumble right at the point of transition (float too low) then wind it back up till the stumble's gone. You can do this with the secondaries on a vac carby if you disconnect the link rod from the primary and work the throttle by hand. The factory setting is merely a baseline to work from. Every engine is different in what it needs from the carby.

yes true,to check cruise and normal driving cond,disconnect the secondaries and just drive around on the primarys for a bit then read the plugs for correct jetting under normal driving,i will give it a go soon.

About 2 months ago I pillaged the XB for a set of BP4FSs that were all as black as a lump of coal but chucked them in the wagon anyway. Fired straight up and never thought about it again till now. The carbon burns off in no time, it's oil fouling that I find messes them up. The set I pulled out had that grey oil ash coloured crap on them, could barely see where the insulator was.<br /><br />Whatever you do, don't buff them on a wire wheel or brush. The porcelain gets a fine coating of metal from the bristles and the spark will track on it instead of jumping the gap.

I'd stand them up overnight in lemon juice (no shit) as it takes the carbon off. Your engine is pretty stock yeah? I'd probably run 5s or 4s, 6s are a bit cold on a stocker.

Refusing to give in i checked the plugs again and all were good,so i went to the carby again and yep no fuel or very little was in the rear bowl ,so after another adjustment to bring it up to just trickling out when the car is rocked ,took it for a test drive and all seems good ,the fluttering and coughing must have been due to too much air and no fuel ? :)

It's a Holley thing they never hold tune,,, LOL,,,,you might find the secondary needle and seat sticking was your issue, had this same thing happen in a 600,,, did it twice,replaced the needle and seat and never did it again

yep it did it again,it could be boiling the fuel after the engine is turned off lowering the bowl level  but it doesnt run hot,i checked the needle and seat all seems good but i am going to sought this crap out !