Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

SIZING A TURBO FOR A 4.0L

How does one size a turbo ,like is there a common language like most of us no that a common supercharger is a 6/71 size but what about turbo's,i see stuff like garrett 35/40 does that mean that one side has 35 fins and the other 40 ? 

BA BF XR6 turbos run a GT3582R & FG XR's run a GT3576R but depends on what power your chasing,

saw a turbo terri at a dyno day last weekend running a GTX42 making 460AWKW,

& my mates turbo territory makes 233AWKW with basic upgrades, 42lb injectors, exhaust, fuel pump, F6 air box, tune.

Google and have a read of turbotech 101, 102, 103 if you want the specifics on how to size turbo correctly.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

If I were you I would try and get my hands on a ba-bf turbo or a fg turbo they can be picked up pretty cheap and the come on fast and more than capable of 300 rwkw

do you mean just the turbo or the whole engine ? i still havent decided to keep my ED 4.0L or the barra engine,has anyone seen that turbo exhaust adaptor on e bay thats selling,it fits up to your std exhaust manifold some how.

Gt3582r is

How does one size a turbo ,like is there a common language like most of us no that a common supercharger is a 6/71 size but what about turbo's,i see stuff like garrett 35/40 does that mean that one side has 35 fins and the other 40 ?

A gt3582r has a gt35 turbine wheel which has no reference to actual size as far as I know, just a model name but the 82 refers to the exducer ( largest diameter) of the compressor wheel which is 82mm ( inducer around 61mm), the Garrett gt3576 on the FG xr6t has the same turbine wheel with a smaller exducer of 76mm. The Garrett GT4202 uses a GT42 turbine wheel with a compressor wheel exducer of 102mm, so you can kind of understand the frame sizes that Garrett uses. As far as turbo sizing goes, why not copy Ford ? : A GT3582R with a 1.06 ar turbine housing, capable d delivering 400rwkw with minimal lag on a 4L. Generally turbo manufacturers supply turbos with well matched turbine and compressor wheel with a recommended engine size range to work with. Volumetric and other efficiencies come into play when selecting a turbo. But generally, go for a turbo with a compressor map within the desired pressure ratio.

Yeah " Spoolinboost " in Adelaide make the cast J pipe look them up on facebook

they have a FG with 570k km E gas engine with valve springs & there parts, did 11.7/121mph at aff drag nats on 10psi

That's an awesome looking kit!

I wonder if it will fit in an xg? Judging by how the turbo sits I'm thinking it might foul on the shock tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i read somewhere that the ba-bf garrett was quite big for its application,and the new one for the fg spools up quicker and is a smaller turbo

The FG still uses a GT35 frame turbo, they just have a slightly smaller compressor wheel. BA-F use GT3582R, FG use GT3576R. The smaller compressor wheel probably partly explains why the FG Turbo models have better low down torque.

Can't go wrong with a stock ba/bf turbo on a 4l. The fg f6 retained the bigger turbo, only the xr and g6et had the smaller one.

300rwkw is just scratching the surface power wise of a boosted 4l (single cam or barra the principal is the same), there is really no need to look any further than the stock bseries turbo at that level.

Just leave it, that is pretty much perfect for boost. As long as you're running an intercooler, using decent fuel and it's tuned correctly