Server maintenance Read more... ×
xwroo

302 flat tap vs 302 roller engine

So what I did was buy timing cover, fuel pump eccentric, timing chain, water pump and fuel pump all to suit the older Windsor.

Mate your setup is neat, exactly what I want to do. So just buy parts as you would for an early Windsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I did was buy timing cover, fuel pump eccentric, timing chain, water pump and fuel pump all to suit the older Windsor.

Mate your setup is neat, exactly what I want to do. So just buy parts as you would for an early Windsor.

The gilmor drives have gone, and have purchased a nice V belt set up, I just couldn't get it to stop throwing the belt high up and worried too much.

Yeah I just got all the bits. I did find this on eBay AU for a little more.

f2fe626f6039ae86b6c6f70111038828.png

The extra $700 is worth it for the manifold, timing cover, water pump etc.

The gilmor drives have gone, and have purchased a nice V belt set up, I just couldn't get it to stop throwing the belt high up and worried too much.

Yea I have seen that. That's what got me thinking about a roller cam engine.

I'm a fan of the roller motor, easy to get parts for etc.

The only issue for me in that motor is that it's likely to have the E7 heads which are very limited in performance, but if you are just looking for a reliable cruiser that can still rip a skid it would be fine.

The yanks can usually get 260-270hp out of a stock 5.0 which a carb and tuning.

I'm a fan of the roller motor, easy to get parts for etc.

The only issue for me in that motor is that it's likely to have the E7 heads which are very limited in performance, but if you are just looking for a reliable cruiser that can still rip a skid it would be fine.

The yanks can usually get 260-270hp out of a stock 5.0 which a carb and tuning.

The roller motors are a bit better then the flat tap I've heard. Yep that's all I'm after a reliable cruiser with a skid or two.

I have read the contrary, ie roller blocks being thinner in the webbing and generally in the casting, and can crack between the cam tunnel and the bottom of cyls 3 & 7. This is on forums from the states where they push them with nitrous, ect but as a general rule, 400 hp n/a is the limit.

I have read the contrary, ie roller blocks being thinner in the webbing and generally in the casting, and can crack between the cam tunnel and the bottom of cyls 3 & 7. This is on forums from the states where they push them with nitrous, ect but as a general rule, 400 hp n/a is the limit.

I have read all that too, I think it depends on the tune, latest rule of thumb is 500rwhp is the limit of the block and 6500rpm.

One of the turbo tuning pages on Facebook here in Oz is putting out more than 500rwhp on stock blocks with blow through set ups.

I think if you were serious about HP you would splash out a few $$ to get a dart block.

I have read all that too, I think it depends on the tune, latest rule of thumb is 500rwhp is the limit of the block and 6500rpm.

One of the turbo tuning pages on Facebook here in Oz is putting out more than 500rwhp on stock blocks with blow through set ups.

I think if you were serious about HP you would splash out a few $$ to get a dart block.

Yea I won't be pushing that kind of power, so I will be in the safe.

So pretty much I can use the parts off my flat tap engine that's in my XW now to put on the roller engine?