Server maintenance Read more... ×
hendrixhc

Is a cat a cat?

Being new to these modern xg utes i was wondering can i replace the cat convertor with any cat convertor?

For example can i remove the standard one and fit a high flow 100 cell commodore convertor with no detrimental effect on legal obligation or performance?

Ford cats are reputed to have one of the best flowing bricks out there, and have a high amount of precious metals in them when compared to aftermarket ones. They can be used in a performance application with enlarged inlets and outlets.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it looking legit and cut a rectangle out of the top panel of the cat, don facemask and remove convertor brick, weld panel back in place. Easy as that.

Of course in NZ we just replace em with pipe coz no laws against it.

For bf falcons, territorys etc you can screw minicats into the o2 sensor hole which tricks the ecu ;);)

Depending on cars running a 100 cell cat can bring up fault codes, on a xg I dare say you would have zero issues.

Could run a o2 spacer as you do with focus with extractors that chuck a wobbly with codes

Just gut it, and leave the housing.

Pleases the police that way.

Shouldn't affect any e series, AU or BA(??) as they only have pre-cat O2 sensors.

BF(??) and FG have an O2 sensor before and after the cat so the ECU knows if it is missing or malfunctioning.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hmmm

I know if you shove a cat in your zorst you might get some baked meat smells and some meowing.

Get your egt's right and the car should purr along.

Having said that a regular moggoe is better than a British shorthair if chasing maximum performance from your cat. The more dense hair traps more pollutants.

Failing that the ford bricks ain't too bad just have to convert them from 2.25 to 2.5 if going up size

Annoying newby here.

So correct me,please but I can but a set of extractors on the newly acquired xg ute and put on a system without the cat .

From what I can see on the pictures on eBay I still need to screw the 02 sensor back in???

The sensor screws into the end of the extractors before the flange, and yes you'll need a cat otherwise you'll have a big gap between the exhaust and the extractors as all off the shelf systems are designed with them in mind

You can have the cat that jumps my back fence for your ute...... I'll even box it up for ya..... lol

+1 for leaving cat in.

Unless ya like even more noxious fumes in ya cab.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk