Bloody wagon's biting me in the arse again.

For the last few months the wife's been having some issues with the engine stuttering/misfiring when it's put into gear first thing in the morning.

Well, this morning the friggin converter was seized. Had to do the old 3k and dump into gear then jump on the brakes to release it.

Am i up shit creek and have to source another converter or is there a reasonably easy fix?

I do have a complete EL auto sitting here, will that converter suit the au gearbox/engine or am i stuck looking for an au one?

Thanks for any help

If it's a factory fitted gas there will be two 10mm bolts at the bottom of the convertor. Take these out and if you get more than a thimble of coolant come out its time for a convertor rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep... torque converter. locks solid first ting in the morning, once it's cracked it doesn't stick again til the next morning.

The missus isn't too keen on driving it at the moment. Looking like i might just find a reco box and replace the pair in case there's a drama in the box causing it to lock up, but any time i can save a little cash by repairing the old stuff.

On that note, anyone who has an AU automatic transmission and converter they are looking to sell in the far north coast of NSW or SE QLD shoot me a message 

cool, i actually have one of those sitting in the back of the parts wagon. might be able to rob the converter off that.

Thanks for that TPAK.

I won't be getting to that til next weekend, so if anyone can offer any more info on it i would appreciate it.

Okay, some serious help from the BTR gods is required fairly urgent.

So, for the THIRD time this weekend i have changed the friggin gearbox in the wagon.

3 "known" good gearboxes have gone in and every single one has a different issue.

1st gearbox has some slip between 1st and 2nd when hot, but when cold drops drive through 1st altogether.

2nd gearbox has all the forward gears working normal, but when you put it in reverse, the friggin thing locks the converter solid and i can't stop the car moving.

This is actually the box that was in the car causing the initial issues.

3rd gearbox, well this nut job of a thing has a beautiful reverse, 1st, 3rd and overdrive but 2nd seems to have packed it's shit and fucked off.

the gearbox will hold 1st until about 4500 rpm, even accelerating gently, then it'll gently engage 3rd. Friggin weird. This is the box that is currently in the car.

Question is of these 3 boxes, which is the easiest to repair? This is just the family dunger, but it needs to be reliable. 

If it's as easy as changing the valve body or one of the solenoids, then happy days i'll do it. But at the moment i'm just too frustrated to think straight.

The other thing i've been wondering is what do they label S5 as on the valve body? I can see S1 ,2, 3, 4, and 6. I know S7 is in the pump housing, so where is S5?

Is it the one marked DAMPER? Just another bloody thing doing my head in.

I eagerly await everyone's input because at the moment i'm fucking lost.