Server maintenance Read more... ×
deankxf

show us your BEAM(headlight, not Jim Beam)

been a bit of discussion lately about spot lights, fog lights, normal headlights and XR6 etc lights.

unfortunately i just removed My XG XR6 lights (due to not being able to see where i was going on low beam) so if anyone has a good set, would be good to see similar.

pics were taken about dusk, so not fully dark. about 3 meters from the gates..

if you could post up what you have and a similar pic and maybe a pic of the glass lense condition (often sandblasted) that would be good.

below is a pic of low beam on an XF with reco reflectors Ford Glass in ford housings.

LOW BEAMS Both reco ,stock globes

headlightspostRECObothonLOWBEAM_zps86171

non reco genuine lense and reflector on left.. reco on right

headlightspostRIGHTSIDELOWBEAM_zpsed53f5

both on high beam, non reco left..

headlightspostRIGHTSIDEHIGHBEAM_zps132d6

what the..

don't even think i have seen XE ghia lights go for that much

well,
after a bit of fucking about at dusk, i have done an experiment with some XF XG headlights using a few combos i have handy..
i couldnt make up a full chinese one as i only have a good left lense and a good right reflector.. but did a mix n match with the ford stuff just to see how they went..

not sure if these pics will work, trying a new hosting thingy due to photobucket being down..

short version is ...
the chinese glass is crap.. the reflectors definitely are different and do aim differently..(this might be adjustable, but i had issues in the past trying to make them aim correct .. seemed there wasn't enough adjustment )

in the past i have had a non genuine complete headlight and it didn't fit the car very well either..

a new or good chinese headlight will make better light than a worn out dull ford light though..

here are the pics. .. note, just because the light spread looks bigger, doesn't mean its better.. lense design has many focus points

EgB0IsPM.jpg

ogM90Row.jpg

xeN7L130.jpg

ZOuTombz.jpg

Lumy4Kl6.jpg

poSs9gyY.jpg

2LaNl86X.jpg

3irWsJqs.jpg

jQD3xoFC.jpg

i am not sure if there's a thread on here, but i'll put this in here so i can find it for later 

just saw a post on reco XE and XD headlights on  falcon parts page on facebook

not sure if scotty is on ozfalcon, but the facebook page is here(you'll need to join to see posts i think)  XD XE XF XG XH wrecks, parts & cars for sale

uWJdAuq.jpg

vHDUQPd.jpg

Fun fact -

XD headlights were made by Bosch

aftermarket lenses made by SAP

XE headlights were made by Hella

aftermarket lights AND lenses, made by SAP and TYC

XF/XG headlights were made by Lucas

aftermarket lenses made by SAP, TYC and DEPO/Lucid

aftermarket lights made by TYC and DEPO/Lucid

1 hour ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Fun fact -

XD headlights were made by Bosch

aftermarket lenses made by SAP

XE headlights were made by Hella

aftermarket lights AND lenses, made by SAP

XF/XG headlights were made by Lucas

aftermarket lenses made by SAP, TYC and DEPO

aftermarket lights made by TYC and DEPO

fun fact.. the lenses from the aftermarket are CRAP .. they don't focus the beam at all.. just put out a blanket of blurry light..

7 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Re-ordered for clarity - LOW BEAM comparison

ogM90Row_o.jpg

ZOuTombz_o.jpg

3irWsJqs_o.jpg

Note: don't worry about the brightness, this could just be potato cam.. 

look at the FOCUS of the light, and the "INTENDED" spread of light.

the geniune ford stuff puts the light where it is needed.. 

doesn't just put out a cloud of garbage light like the others. 

Except for the spot beam, the aftermarket reflector in Ford housing and Ford lense seems to be quite close to the fully genuine stuff, looks like a good alternative to attempting to get the XF reflectors reco'd?

3 hours ago, Mr Polson said:
On 4/16/2021 at 10:19 AM, deankdx said:

Except for the spot beam, the aftermarket reflector in Ford housing and Ford lense seems to be quite close to the fully genuine stuff, looks like a good alternative to attempting to get the XF reflectors reco'd?

depends where you live..
in Melburbs, you need a good LOW BEAM,  no matter where you go, there's almost always oncoming traffic(can't use high beams)

2 hours ago, roKWiz said:

Now I know why XF headlights are crap, being made by the "Prince of Darkness" himself.

you haven't had a good set..

they are the best headlights i've had once reco'd. 

1 hour ago, cisco said:

OEvRF2p.jpg

Dean can you tell me who does the reflector reconditioning? Is it a specialty thing or common with the likes of auto sparkies or an accessory shop? 

the mob that did My lights above were proper pains to deal with,  they wanted me to post either way rather than drop in, but i had a BUNCH of them being done .. so did it in person, they said ready to pick up , and when i went there they weren't on site.. were ready at another location i wasn't allowed to go to, but hadn't arrived at the place i dropped them off.. so had to go back again. also when i originally dropped them off i asked clearly what's the cost of getting these done, (good ones and bad ones) to get an idea if they'd be wanting to do them for the forum members.. vague answers, beating around the bush.. ended up DOING the rough ones then charging me for them even though  they "needed a lot of work, so xyz more cost" . i'd have declined doing those on the grounds i could have found better ones.  communication was POOR. 

the results were good, and the process THIS mob used was EXACTLY the same as Brand new cars headlights (painted gloss 2 pack black i think then painted in super shiny chrome paint @SPArKy_Dave has posted videos up somewhere before of the process)

the previous mob, @Mr Polson has a pair of, and they were done by a mob that FAKE chrome plated (aluminium?) PLASTICS for coffins, (all fancy chrome that can be burned)

these i also had in My XF for over a year and were amazing, although the finish isn't as durable (it's likely what FORD used though in the XFs? i can't recall)

if you scroll up on this page, there are 2 people doing XD and XE ones, these are metal and do a different process (chrome plated)
these guys won't do the XF ones due to .... " aftermarket lights are good enough and still available" 

in My experience, if you fit the Ford GLASS to the chinese repro lights they work ok (half as good as reco'd originals) (twice as good as chinese glass ones) (4 times better than worn out orginals with no reflector left) 

i did all kinds of mixing and matching at the time, and if you have a RISK Attitude more than just swapping the glass (risky in itself... spray WD40 on the clips/glass and try SLIDE the clips forward rather than dig them off ...you'll see when you try just one even) 

removing the reflectors is by pulling them on the areas where they clip in(3 locations with a ball and socket) some of the repros had different size ball and socket and they can't be fitted to the FORD housing. well not unless the sockets can unscrew.  the ford ones some were screwed, some riveted.. they are brittle and snap easy.. (RISK attitude tester) 

if you can manage to fit the ford sockets to the repro reflectors and clip them into the ford housing with ford glass.. This is a GOOD OPTION. .. not without many risks. 

the mob i used above were called DECORENGINEERING  or ECOCHROME  both links to the websites no longer work

the ones prior were Zues products, and they said they are no longer doing headlights well before i tried decorengineering  too fiddly not worth the effort

Polished the chinesium light covers on my Marsbar last year, need doing again. Mothers polish and a drill, 20 minutes later.....

IMG_20200706_145811

IMG_20200706_145826

Yeah..........I know.!  Not a cool car. But the ones in the XB, just get chucked in the bin, and new ones fitted. Jobs done. LOL.

Polished the chinesium light covers on my Marsbar last year, need doing again. Mothers polish and a drill, 20 minutes later.....

50082213346_5715040cf3_b.jpg  
50082455732_d3d2815901_b.jpg  

Yeah..........I know.!  Not a cool car. But the ones in the XB, just get chucked in the bin, and new ones fitted. Jobs done. LOL.
The biggest thing with polycarbonate lenses, is they need a UV sealant/coating over the top again. Just polishing, and they're guaranteed to go yellow again.

Headlight protectors also help prevent the yellowing, as they absorb the UV instead of the headlight.

Of all the cars that have polycarbonate headlights (which is all of them now), Kia and Hyundai seem to be the best for not yellowing. Surprised the rest of the automotive market hasn't figured that out...

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

On 1/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, SPArKy_Dave said:

Unless they're OEM Lucas inserts? Those are apparently worth $$$

Nah, just cheapy, sealed beams from Kmart for this little black duck.....